Single Parents
Options

Custody arrangments and DS Father moving back in?

I have a very unique relationship with my stbxh.  Our divorce will be finalized in March and we have been living separately.

We get along very well and never have fights (though we have normal disagreements from time to time).  Weird things have been happening at my home like lights flashing at midnight twice and stuff.  We have not been able to figure it out.

There have been talks of stbxh living with us as roommates.  I know this is a very unpopular idea but we are quirky like that.  My stbxh is an excellent father and visit DS quite frequently each week.  He just not able to connect with people on an emotional level(high functioning aspergers) but he lives simply and just only need a room with the expectation that the duplex is mainly mine.  There are more benefits if he is roommate with us than not.

I am going to call the courthouse and been trying to look online.. but would any of you know if court is against ex spouses living together? does it change child custody and child support arrangements?

Re: Custody arrangments and DS Father moving back in?

• Options

It's unusual, but not impossible. My ex and I are really good friends. (DDs father) We've talked about it a few times. I think it does open the possibility of him getting joint custody in the future, if your state does that. And, it could be confusing to LO, depending on his age. DD is almost 16, she knows there's no WAY we'd ever get back together!

• Options
    imageFyreFlyeRush:

It's unusual, but not impossible. My ex and I are really good friends. (DDs father) We've talked about it a few times. I think it does open the possibility of him getting joint custody in the future, if your state does that. And, it could be confusing to LO, depending on his age. DD is almost 16, she knows there's no WAY we'd ever get back together!

DS is 16 months.  I don't expect this arrangements to be long term and I don't want to confuse DS but at the same time, this is a great age that both of us as parents do not want to miss out.  He is our only child so I am not sure what to think as far as if it will confuse him or not.

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    How would this work if one of you wanted to start dating again (other people, not each other)?
    Photobucket Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

imageTwinkieFiend:
    How would this work if one of you wanted to start dating again (other people, not each other)?

Stbxh repeatedly has says he never had feelings for me.  I got over that and see him as a human being with his own issues with aspergers.  I have no anger, resentment or any of the like feelings towards him. We have it in our divorce papers that we need to notify each other when we enter in a new relationship and that we have to wait 6 months before introducing the relationship to ds from that point.

I am at a point in life where taking care of me and being the best mom I can be is top priority. STBXH is always going to be a huge part of my life one way or another because he is an excellent father to our son.  If a guy cannot accept that, then he is not the right guy for me and our son.  This is just how my life is and I am not going to erase my past as if they never happened.  If I do get in a serious relationship(or vice versa), stbxh and I will cross that bridge when the time comes.  We made it clear that the rental is my place if one of us chooses to not roommate anymore.

• Options

Hmmm, I'm not sure how it works with custody but I wouldn't think you would be able to get CS and/or alimony living under the same roof.

I also don't think it's a good idea at all.  In the future when one or both of you or dating that will get REALLY awkward. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"