Natural Birth
Options

May risk out due to iron issues - frustrated

I'm planning this VBAC at a free standing birth center. Despite plenty of supplementation and diet changes my iron levels will not increase and I was told today that if I can't get my iron levels up I will risk out of the birth center.

I feel like I am doing everything right in terms of preparing for this VBAC. We are paying a ton out of pocket to stay out of the hospital, reading natural birth books out my ears, took Bradley classes, I do my exercises a ton, have been practicing my relaxation religiously, I've been tracking everything I eat for the past 5 months, we are hiring a doula, I'm going to the best pre-natal chiropractor in the region, and feel like I am already taking every natural supplement my MW has to offer to ensure things go well. I don't know why my body is not responding to the iron.

I have to get another blood draw tomorrow to rule out thalassemia, which I think is unlikely based on my heritage. I'm starting wheat grass shots today, becasue my platelets are low, per my MW and I guess I'm now shopping for a juicer to try and get even more greens in me.

I feel like I'm starting to make myself crazy in attempt to do all the right things to just be allowed to TRY and have a vaginal birth. To try and do something that may not work out regardless of our preparation, preparation that may not be enough to be allowed to safely try in the first place.

Edit: I meant to post this on the VBAC board but will take any input or suggestions from you wise ladies as this is natural birth related as well.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

Re: May risk out due to iron issues - frustrated

• Options

aww. You must be so frustrated and disappointed. I really hope that all of your efforts for a VBAC are successful. I truly wish you the best and hope that your supplements raise your iron levels. Try to keep your head up and stay positive. Hopefully the juicer will be just what you need.

Sould you risk out don't be too hard on yourself. You are healthier and wiser due to all your preparations. ((Hugs))

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    You are definitely working super hard for your VBAC and I really hope you get it. You are putting more effort into it than most people do, I definitely understand that the situation is frustrating and doesn't feel fair. You still have some time, I really hope your body decides to cooperate. From another VBAC hopeful, good luck!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    imagemrscjmb9410:

Are you doing floradix? That's the only thing that fixed my iron issue.

Make sure you take it with vitamin C - it significantly helps absorption. And avoid dairy for at least 1 hour before and after you take any iron supplements!

I am so sorry that you are dealing with this - it's very frustrating! T&Ps that your levels will come up enough for you to continue with your birth center plans! 

Thanks everyone, I appreciate the kind words.

Yes, I am using Floradix and am now up to 3xs a day without success. I take it with regular no calcium added O.J. and not at times when I'm also consuming calcium. If my blood test rules out any disorders then they we will talk about switching iron supplements or coming up with another dose. I was hoping the floradix would work because at least it is non constipating.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options
    I had iron issues, too, and I know even good supplements don't always work so great.  Have you tried blackstrap molasses and cast iron pans?  Good luck mama!

DS born 8/2010 - preliminary stages of SN int'l adoption - fur mama to 2 shelter dogs;  cloth diapering, babywearing, EBFing mama

• Options

I had low iron in the past, and when I got tested this time around the nurse said "you're iron is great, whatever you're doing, keep doing it"

The big change I can say we made is cooking everything in cast iron pans, it enriches food with iron as you cook, especially acidic sauces you may use.

Also research nettle infusions, here's one link explaining the benefits https://www.susunweed.com/Article_Pregnancy_Problems.htm  It's loaded with iron, recommended for pregnancy (at least by my midwife).  I recommend buying it in bulk, loose leaf (from Amazon, or I really like this place https://www.bulkherbstore.com/Nettle-Leaf-Cut_Organic

My other advice, if it's within your budget, would be to improve the quality of the meats and proteins you use.  Switching to grassfed beef and pasture raised eggs might not seem like much but the boost in nutrition is wonderful.

Good luck!

• Options
    imageSqueezeTheClay:

I had low iron in the past, and when I got tested this time around the nurse said "you're iron is great, whatever you're doing, keep doing it"

The big change I can say we made is cooking everything in cast iron pans, it enriches food with iron as you cook, especially acidic sauces you may use.

Also research nettle infusions, here's one link explaining the benefits https://www.susunweed.com/Article_Pregnancy_Problems.htm  It's loaded with iron, recommended for pregnancy (at least by my midwife).  I recommend buying it in bulk, loose leaf (from Amazon, or I really like this place https://www.bulkherbstore.com/Nettle-Leaf-Cut_Organic

My other advice, if it's within your budget, would be to improve the quality of the meats and proteins you use.  Switching to grassfed beef and pasture raised eggs might not seem like much but the boost in nutrition is wonderful.

Good luck!

Thank you for the info! I never would have thought of cast iron pans. 

• Options
    My iron levels dropped really low this pregnancy. I've been on plain old Ferrous Sulfate (325mg 2x a day) for a few months, but it got my iron up after about a month. I know it's not fun to take iron, but I almost risked out of my birthing center as well. I hope you're able to find something that works for you! Low iron is no fun, especially when it can mean that you don't get to birth where you want. T&P
  • Options
    Supplements are great, but your body will do a better job absorbing the iron from food... I would suggest eating as much iron rich foods (meat sources are some of the best) as possible in additon to the supplements. It can't hurt ;-)
  • Options
    have you tried drinking oj while taking iron? im sure you have helps it absorb.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Maternity tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"