Attachment Parenting
Options

I need help when it comes to vaccinations. Please.

Would anyone be willing to share there delayed schedule. We went to DD's 12 month check up and when they told me all the shots that she was scheduled for I freaked and lied said I had a family emergency and left! I don't feel like I still at this time have any direction but am furious with myself for having just gone along with things this far. My DD got her first flu shot at her 9 month visit and has been sick NON STOP since then. I'm talking a new illness EVERY SINGLE WEEK!!!! I'm not saying that they are for sure tied together but just too much to ignore. Any help is greatly appreciated.
Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Re: I need help when it comes to vaccinations. Please.

• Options

I'm a physician assistant, and while I'm crunchy about pretty much everything else, I follow the recommended schedule.  I SERIOUSLY doubt that your daughter has been sick for so long because of the flu shot.  There is no reason for you to feel bad for going along with the schedule.

I think it's important for parents to do their research (using reputable information), and to discuss their concerns with their medical provider.  I personally am willing to discuss an alternate schedule (though I don't believe it makes a difference, personally) as I'd rather have a kid vaccinated than to leave the practice and go completely unvaccinated. 

image 30 y/o with PCOS HSG normal, SA essentially normal (slightly low morph but good # and motility) 50 mg Clomid...zip; 100 mg Clomid...nada; 150 mg Clomid...zilch 1/10 Injectable cycle with Gonal-F, Ovidrel, and TI.....Beta 2/22...BFN 2/10 Injectable cycle with Gonal-F and Follistim (long story), Ovidrel..BFN 4/10 Injectable cycle (see above). BFP but early m/c 5w5d. 5/10 Break cycle due to BFC (Big Fat Cyst)...darn it all 6/10 Injectable cycle +IUI...BFN 7/10 Injectable cycle + IUI.....BFP!!! Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    My doc recommends skipping the flu shot altogether. Just because they have to guess before flu season which strains they think will be the most common for that year. Other than that we follow the regular schedule.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I would recommend checking out the Dr. Sears alternative vaccination schedule. As much as some other posters would like it to be true, delaying does NOT make a vaccine less effective. You can certainly put a couple of weeks in between your MMR and TDP shots if you want and still have full protection for your child.

Also, if your child is sick that often, I would think it is not because of the shot. Instead, it is something you might want to ask your pediatrician about, and if you don't like this pedi, try to find another in your area that you trust more.

• Options

We follow the traditional schedule. I don't want to take my son to the doctor for shots every couple of weeks. I think that would lead to a very real fear of doctors, and just draws out the whole ordeal. I also believe in having the most protection possible against serious disease as soon as possible.

It is possible to follow another schedule, and it's not the worst thing in the world as long as your kid is caught up by the time you throw them into daycare/preschool/kindergarten. To me, it just has no benefits and takes a lot of effort.

As for the flu shot = sick with totally unrelated illnesses, that's just silly. If that's how you think it works... well, maybe some grade school science classes would help.

• Options

Dr. Sears has an alternative schedule. That is the only one I know of.

We followed our pedi's advice. She broke up vaccines at 1 year because one of them has reacted badly with the flu vax in the past, so we just went back 2 weeks later and got the other one. 

He is a flu season baby, so that is why the flu shot was given at his 1 year (in case that was confusing, why did he have to have a flu shot at 1 year...)

Overall, this is something I would encourage you to read about from the AAP and WHO standpoint and talk extensively with your pedi about. 

• Options

We do an alternative schedule, but it is one that has been fully discussed with the pedi and he is 100% supportive. I've also read Dr. Sears' Vaccine Book. I would follow the regular schedule except that A runs 103-104 fevers for several days following vaccines, and sleeps 20 hours a day. We are spacing out how many vaccines he receives at a time but try and keep him as on schedule as possible.

While you may percieve that you received rude advice in this thread, I assure you that you did not. You recieved realistic advice.

Please educate yourself regarding vaccines. Read about herd immunity. Read the entire patient insert for each vaccine that your kid is due to receive. Read the Dr. Sears' vaccine book. Make an appointment with your pedi for the sole reason of discussing vaccination and try and find a sitter for your LO during the appointment. You can make all the decisions you want regarding vaccinations, but until you research and understand there is no way that you can make educated decisions.

• Options

You should be able to express your concerns with your pedi, If you need to find one who isn't going to bully you then that may be so but your not doing anything wrong.

I agree on finding out the ingredients and knowing what you want and when then you can 'lay it out' for your doctor and discuss it with them. 

https://www.nvic.org/ 

otherwise here is a list of doctors:

https://www.cafemom.com/group/4388/forums/read_topic.php?topic_id=1024479

more:

https://www.askdrsears.com/topics/vaccines/alternative-vaccine-schedule 

Little Rose is 2 1/2.
  • Options
    My son had never had a vaccine. He has also never been sick. Personally, I see the connection between illness and vaccines, so please trust your instincts and do your research. Just because a doctor tells you something doesn't make it right. My stepdaughter has all of her vaccines and flu shots...and she also has ear infections, respiratory infections, eczema, allergies and a plethora of other illnesses that can be tired directly to reactions from vaccines. Trust your gut.
  • Options

imagerowanleaves:
    My stepdaughter has all of her vaccines and flu shots...and she also has ear infections, respiratory infections, eczema, allergies and a plethora of other illnesses that can be tired directly to reactions from vaccines. Trust your gut.

Please show how these can be tied directly to reactions from vaccines.

• Options

imagerowanleaves:
    My son had never had a vaccine. He has also never been sick. Personally, I see the connection between illness and vaccines, so please trust your instincts and do your research. Just because a doctor tells you something doesn't make it right. My stepdaughter has all of her vaccines and flu shots...and she also has ear infections, respiratory infections, eczema, allergies and a plethora of other illnesses that can be tired directly to reactions from vaccines. Trust your gut.

At 6m, my DS was fully vaccinated and had never been sick.  Did your head just explode? :-P.

Correlation does not equal causation. Also, how old is your stepdaughter? Has she had more than 6 months on earth to get sick?  How can her illnesses be tied directly to vaccines?

imageBaby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

Yikes!  I can't believe all the negativity and 'medical-culture-knows-best' attitudes you've uncovered here.  I'm pregnant with my first, so haven't had to cross the vaccination bridge yet.  But I can tell you this: there is no way, no how, that we'll be following the current 'standard' vaccination schedule.  Some vaccines, such as the flu shot, are just plain unnecessary.  Others, such as rubella, aren't needed till the child is physically old enough to bear children of their own - literally YEARS after the vaccine is currently recommended.  I'm going to treat each shot on a case-by-case basis, weighing the risks of the potentially prevented disease against the risks of the vaccinations themselves.  With the shots we decide to get - "dilution is the solution to pollution" - is going to be the name of the game.  Delay the shot as long as possible, and spread different shots out as much as possible.  The older a child is the more resources they have to process the chemicals (more blood, more fat, bigger liver, etc - think of the affects of a shot of tequila on a large person vs. a small one).  And the more spread out different shots are, the more 'dilution' affect you have.

I had been hoping the more 'natural' boards on the bump like 'attachment parenting' and 'natural birth' were, well, more friendly towards natural approaches.  The more posts I read, the more mainstream these boards seem.  Bummer. 

• Options
    My stepdaughter is 5. No, my head did not explode, but thank you for being such a mature adult. I am simply offering a slice of experience to someone asking for help. I didn't ask to be flamed. My beliefs are just that: my beliefs.
  • Options
    imageSK2011:

I had been hoping the more 'natural' boards on the bump like 'attachment parenting' and 'natural birth' were, well, more friendly towards natural approaches.  The more posts I read, the more mainstream these boards seem.  Bummer. 

It's a total bummer when people do actual research, and then follow what is proven scientific fact rather than conspiracy theories on the internet.

It's not mainstream. It's responsible. Responsible parenting, and being a responsible member of society.

• Options

We vaccinate on the recommended CDC schedule.  There is no evidence to suggest that delaying or spreading out vaccines helps anything.  I feel like our parenting style is right in line with almost everything AP...and because of my bond with my son and my desire to have close communication and trust with him, it absolutely KILLS me every time we go into the doctor for shots.  I have no issue with the content of the shot, but I feel guilt over the pain of the shot that he will feel and how confused he'll be because I can't prepare him or explain why it's happening.

But, I know that it's absolutely necessary to protect him, so we do it. 

I could/would never prolong that into several additional shots appointments with him experiencing that pain and confusion every 2 weeks instead of every 2 months, for example, for absolutely no (legitimate/proven) reason.

Lilypie Second Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    imageStefandTodd:

We vaccinate on the recommended CDC schedule.  There is no evidence to suggest that delaying or spreading out vaccines helps anything.  I feel like our parenting style is right in line with almost everything AP...and because of my bond with my son and my desire to have close communication and trust with him, it absolutely KILLS me every time we go into the doctor for shots.  I have no issue with the content of the shot, but I feel guilt over the pain of the shot that he will feel and how confused he'll be because I can't prepare him or explain why it's happening.

But, I know that it's absolutely necessary to protect him, so we do it. 

I could/would never prolong that into several additional shots appointments with him experiencing that pain and confusion every 2 weeks instead of every 2 months, for example, for absolutely no (legitimate/proven) reason.

I feel like there is a very legitimate reason, at least for my family. I have had vaccine reactions in the past. If I had been given more than one on that particular day, I wouldn't know which vaccine had done it. Since I know which one it was, definitively, I have went with another brand of the vaccine for subsequent injections and enjoyed the benefits of protection without the high fever, rash, and bowel issues. There is reliable medical evidence that allergies can run in families, and so I am concerned that my child could have vaccine reactions, too.

If we give my child three or four shots on one doctor visit and there is a reaction, we have a decision to make going forward: skip the other vaccinations in the series completely (which I don't want to do for something that is IMO as important as the TDP vaccine), start trying them out one at a time along a non-CDC schedule and see which one gives her another reaction, or stick with the CDC schedule and just hope the reactions don't cause serious problems. None of these sound very good to me compared with doing an alternative schedule from the start. I would rather KNOW what is making my child sick, if it happens, than play a guessing game. I would rather skip boosters of only one of the important vaccines than have to skip all of the ones she was given on a particular visit just to play it safe. I know it is possible that she will never have any reaction and be totally fine with all of them, but since even the CDC states that spacing the shots out a bit will not make them less effective, an alternative schedule seems like a good idea to me. I don't think that wanting to know why my child is sick makes me crazy or "fringe" or a disbeliever in medicine. I think most parents are just told that "vaccine reactions don't happen anymore" or "vaccine reactions are not statistically significant" and stop thinking about it, unless/until it happens to them/their child, and it's very sad when something serious happens that could have been prevented had a medical practitioner been up front with the parents about the risks in the first place, and suggested an alternative schedule (something I think should be done for any family where there are, for example, egg allergies).

• Options
    imagetokenhoser:
    imageSK2011:

It's a total bummer when people do actual research, and then follow what is proven scientific fact rather than conspiracy theories on the internet.

It's not mainstream. It's responsible. Responsible parenting, and being a responsible member of society.

I applaud the natural approach. MEASLES FOR ALL! BRING BACK POLIO!

image Josephine is 4.
  • Options
    imagetokenhoser:
    imageSK2011:

Word

image 30 y/o with PCOS HSG normal, SA essentially normal (slightly low morph but good # and motility) 50 mg Clomid...zip; 100 mg Clomid...nada; 150 mg Clomid...zilch 1/10 Injectable cycle with Gonal-F, Ovidrel, and TI.....Beta 2/22...BFN 2/10 Injectable cycle with Gonal-F and Follistim (long story), Ovidrel..BFN 4/10 Injectable cycle (see above). BFP but early m/c 5w5d. 5/10 Break cycle due to BFC (Big Fat Cyst)...darn it all 6/10 Injectable cycle +IUI...BFN 7/10 Injectable cycle + IUI.....BFP!!! Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

imagerowanleaves:
    My stepdaughter is 5. No, my head did not explode, but thank you for being such a mature adult. I am simply offering a slice of experience to someone asking for help. I didn't ask to be flamed. My beliefs are just that: my beliefs.

the plural of antecdote is not data. My vaccinated kids never get sick either.

One person with a healthy (for now) vaccinated child doesn't help her decide whether to vaccinate or not.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    imageSK2011:

Yikes!  I can't believe all the negativity and 'medical-culture-knows-best' attitudes you've uncovered here.  I'm pregnant with my first, so haven't had to cross the vaccination bridge yet.  But I can tell you this: there is no way, no how, that we'll be following the current 'standard' vaccination schedule.  Some vaccines, such as the flu shot, are just plain unnecessary.  Others, such as rubella, aren't needed till the child is physically old enough to bear children of their own - literally YEARS after the vaccine is currently recommended.  I'm going to treat each shot on a case-by-case basis, weighing the risks of the potentially prevented disease against the risks of the vaccinations themselves.  With the shots we decide to get - "dilution is the solution to pollution" - is going to be the name of the game.  Delay the shot as long as possible, and spread different shots out as much as possible.  The older a child is the more resources they have to process the chemicals (more blood, more fat, bigger liver, etc - think of the affects of a shot of tequila on a large person vs. a small one).  And the more spread out different shots are, the more 'dilution' affect you have.

A good friend of mine works in medicine and delaying certain shots causes them to be ineffective. What you say makes sense-like with the rubella vaccine not needed until women reach childbearing age, why not start giving it out at 18, right? However, the vaccine schedule is constructed in such a way around the development of the body that the vaccine is given in such a timeframe that it will be most effective. Small deviations like in the dr sears recommendation will not harm, but significant deviations will. If you wait too long, it doesnt make the vaccine more effective, but in fact less effective. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    imageSK2011:

You do know these vaccines were created because a good many people have died from these diseases? I bet you that any parent back when there wasn't vaccines available would have given their left arm for something that would have prevented their child from contracting polio.  If the CDC, WHO and organizations whose mandate is to help keep us healthy, recommends these shots for children, who are you to act like you know better? It has nothing to do with being "mainstream", it has everything to do with protecting my child from every possible disease I can.  And if they came out with a vaccine tomorrow for HIV, or cancer, I would give that to her too!  

• Options
    Delayed seems to have a ton of different meanings. You should be able to discuss with your pedi. If you can't start interviewing different doctors.  Our doc allows parents to space out the vaccs if we choose.  So, not eliminate, but space so that you can more closely monitor and isolate the short term effects, or simply make it easier for the kiddos who don 't take shots well.   
  • Options

Others, such as rubella, aren't needed till the child is physically old enough to bear children of their own - literally YEARS after the vaccine is currently recommended.

This proves to me you have very limited knowledge of vaccines, immunity and the reasons why we vaccinate children.

I absolutely have no time for google researchers. Of which you are clearly one.

image Josephine is 4.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"