Food Allergy
Options

Update

I'm new here, so if you need/want my son's background hopefully this link will work. https://community.thebump.com/cs/ks/forums/thread/63220397.aspx

Today we met with the allergist again to go over the results from E's blood test. (I don't have the correct terminology down quite yet.) He was negative to everything! I am so so confused. I thought the whole reason he had to be on Elecare was due to a milk allergy because that is what the old GI said.  

The allergist is having us come back next Monday to do the skin test, just in case it shows different results. We also meet with the new GI next Thursday. The allergist said that if the skin test comes back negative she feels like the GI should look into testing for Chron's and Ulcerative Colitis.  I did a bit of research to see what those are and ran into a few articles on FPIES and I feel like the symptoms E has are more related to it than Chron's or Colitis.  I am planning on bringing my concerns up with both the allergist and the GI.  

Just wanted to share my update, and say thank you for the responses I had with my last post. Sorry this is so long!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Update

• Options

my daughter has a suspected milk/soy protein allergy as well. she tested negative on the skin-prick test also. the way the allergist explained it to me is that it is a delayed, non-ige allergy. her body is not mature enough to fully digest the proteins & they seep from her intestines into the blood & are seen as intruders which causes inflammation & in her case blood in her stools. 

just because he is negative on the tests, doesn't mean that he isn't allergic. infant allergy testing is not very accurate. are you seeing a pediatric allergist b/c it seems that your allergist may not know about this. read this link- it is very helpful. 

https://www.childrenscolorado.org/pdf/allergic_colitis.pdf 

• Options
    imagebrowneyedgoil:

my daughter has a suspected milk/soy protein allergy as well. she tested negative on the skin-prick test also. the way the allergist explained it to me is that it is a delayed, non-ige allergy. her body is not mature enough to fully digest the proteins & they seep from her intestines into the blood & are seen as intruders which causes inflammation & in her case blood in her stools. 

just because he is negative on the tests, doesn't mean that he isn't allergic. infant allergy testing is not very accurate. are you seeing a pediatric allergist b/c it seems that your allergist may not know about this. read this link- it is very helpful. 

https://www.childrenscolorado.org/pdf/allergic_colitis.pdf 

Thank you for the information. She is not a pediatric allergist, but with dh in the army we don't always get a lot of say in who we see.  

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

We recently did allergy testing for DD (she's 11 months old now)....she had blood tests, and multiple skin tests.  All came back negative.  So, we did a challenge in the doctor's office and she had an allergic reaction.  The allergist said that there can be false negatives up in up to 5%.  We are planning to see a pediatric allergist.

Good luck!

imageimage
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"