Potty Training
Options

ds pees on the potty but wont poop? ?

my son pees on the potty with no problem, he hasnt had a pee accident in three days, but he refuses to poop on the  potty. as soon as we but him in a pull up for the night he poops.

i am not sure what to do here. anyone have any suggestions 

Re: ds pees on the potty but wont poop? ?

• Options
    I'm having a similar problem with my DD, so I'm interested in the responses.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker>
  • Options

It took DS two weeks to start pooping in the potty.  He was peeing great and would wait for the instant we turned our back (or put him down for a nap) to poop. 

One day he had a pee accident and I put him in the bathroom naked with the door closed (it was a big accident and I didn't want him to run through it to make it worse!!).  When I opened the door a couple of minutes later he had pooped in the potty!  It turned out that he wanted some privacy and I think it was too much pressure having DH or I in there even though we were just reading stories or watching Elmo videos trying to get him to relax! LOL

Once I figured out the privacy thing I would just let him be naked around his normal pooping time (he's very regular) and he would go to the potty himself then tell us that he pooped.  We did that for about 1 week and now he's very consistent in telling us that he has to poop.

Good luck!  It will click, but I know how frustrating it can be!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    We just needed time. It took about 2-3 weeks for him to get it. We had lots of poop accidents in the beginning. He just had to go a few times by accident before he understood the concept.
  • Options

We just started on Saturday, but have had no accidents since Monday morning.  ::knocks on wood::  He wouldn't poop the first day, but then DH pretended to poop on the big potty when we knew he had to go and he imitated and did it. 

We let him put a sticker on a chart whenever he goes pee and decided he should get two stickers for pooping.  He LOVES his stickers and gets all excited to poop since he'll get two.  You might try an extra reward type thing for pooping and see if that helps.

Mc 6/2/08 at 6w2d * CP 11/22/08 * CP 1/21/09 - Dx compound heterozygous MTHFR 3/23/09 - BFP 3/24/09
  • Options
    Thanks for posting it - this is exactly the stage I am at so I will also be looking for your responses!  You will have to let me know how it goes for you too!  I am trying today for the first time to put him down for nap in just underwear.  He really has the concept down that he does his business in the potty or pull up but not in underwear.  So I figured I'd see what happened if I didn't put him in a pull up at nap time and see how he does.  But we're not ready for night time yet!!  Good luck!!

dream 1 CAME TRUE 2.13.2010

<dream 2> 12.2011

2.10.12 : 4 weeks

6.17.12 : 10 weeks

10.10.12 : 4 weeks, 6 days

12.13.12 : 9 weeks, 1 day

4.6.13 : 4 weeks, 4 days

10.27.13 : 5 weeks, 6 days

4.2.14 (IVF #1) : 4 weeks, 1 day

6.19.14 : IVF #2 Negative

</dream 2>

resolve.org