Toddlers: 24 Months+

Constipation: what if enema doesnt work?

My DD has been horribly constipated the last couple of weeks. She's been on miralax forever and it does nothing. Her dr told me to try an enema. We gave a pedialax one for the 1st time a little over an hour ago. She's crampy but nothings coming out. I dont know whats left to do. I thought of bringing her to the ER but my insurance stinks. Anyone else go thru this? Thanks

Re: Constipation: what if enema doesnt work?

• I'd call the pedi back and ask what they would suggest, but it may be an ER kind of thing if it doesn't work )c:

• have you tried a suppository (sp?) and maybe up the amount of miralax? maybe all of that with some prune juice or pear juice etc will loosen her up.  beware once the plug gets cleared out there could be a poop explosion!
  • Loading the player...
  • It is 100% gross, but I've had to do this twice for DD.  We tried a suppository and it did NOTHING.  So, I did some more googling and searching around, and what I ended up doing, was taking a qtip coated beyond belief in vaseline and once she started making faces like she was trying to take care of business, knowing that nothing was going to happen. I carefully and gently used the qtip as an aide. It made her mad but she kept grunting and trying to push the qtip out, which in turn got everything else to come out.  It STUNK, seriously, because she was so backed up, beware, and if you can have another adult on  hand to help, it makes it easier as well, so that one can be on the south end of things and the other can use their hands as something for the feet to be pushing against (depending on how old your DD is, I should say).

It's gross, but it worked.  GL. 

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • try lemon water with honey. i make enough honey to take the bitterness away so DD will drink it. 
    DD-2/7/10
    BFP-4/8/14

• We've been having similar issues with my 2 y/o DS lately.  The only thing that works for him is using a glycerine suppository.  Most on the market are saline, but look for glycerine.  It literally gets the back up moving within seconds.  Once we got the "plug" out, we adjusted his diet and fingers crossed he's been regular for over a week now.  Good luck!
  • imagewife07mom09:
    then go back to the pedi. Dont go to the ER-not an emergency

I disagree with this.  It can definitely turn into an emergency.  I have personally experienced this first-hand.  When I was in 3rd trimester with DD2 I got so backed up that I got so swollen in the perineal area that I couldn't go pee either.  It was so painful.  My obgyn told me to get to the ER asap.  I had a lovely date with a catheter and enema that night at the hospital.  I hope it doesn't get that far with your LO.  The enemas they give at the hospital never fail.   

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • thanks all. I went to the pedi this morning and he wants me to do a full size adult enema today. Should be fun. I'll attempt this when DH gets home and can hold her down.
  • imageseb09:

imagewife07mom09:
    then go back to the pedi. Dont go to the ER-not an emergency

I disagree with this.  It can definitely turn into an emergency.  I have personally experienced this first-hand.  When I was in 3rd trimester with DD2 I got so backed up that I got so swollen in the perineal area that I couldn't go pee either.  It was so painful.  My obgyn told me to get to the ER asap.  I had a lovely date with a catheter and enema that night at the hospital.  I hope it doesn't get that far with your LO.  The enemas they give at the hospital never fail.   

Very true.  She could get what's called a fecal impaction, meaning the stool is so hard and stuck that it can't come out.  It definitely would warrant a trip to the ER.

DD february 2010 | DS october 2011

*please excuse my typos, bumping from my iphone*
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"