Two Under 2

How do you leave the house with a newborn?

LO2 is due anyday and I'm getting nervous about being trapped in the house all day with 2 kids.  I have a double stroller and I also got a Baby Ktan wrap.  I felt like it was tough to go places with just 1 baby when DD was little b/c I was constantly BFing.  I did eventually get used to BFing in changing rooms at the mall and stuff like that.  However I don't know how I'm going to do that when I'm out with 2 kids.  I'm sure DD will freak out if I try to get her to sit in the stroller for 20mins while I'm nursing LO2 in a changing room.  Does anyone have any suggestions for how to handle this?  Or is it just not possible to go anywhere for longer than an hour or so?  DD1 was not good with a bottle until I actually went back to work at 3months.  I'm afraid this LO will be the same way.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: How do you leave the house with a newborn?

• I never NIP myself, but I've come to terms with the fact that I will need to when I'm out w/ my toddler.  I was told on the AP board that a ring sling is really good when you're starting to NIP.  So I'm going to look into getting a ring sling and will practice nursing in it at home before going out in public with it.  I'm sure with anything else, once you get in the swing of it, you won't think twice about doing it.

There also seems to be more and more places that have family rest rooms w/ nursing stations that have TVs and toys.  You can keep your eye out for those.

• Wow!  You're ready to pop that baby out!  G'luck w/ your L&D - be sure to come back to let us know how things are w/ 2U2!
  • Loading the player...
  • I planned our outings between feedings. I'd feed DS2 then we'd leave and be back before the 3 hours were up. Once he was 3 weeks old, I started pumping and giving a bottle a day so I always had a bottle on hand just in case. There is no way I could have survivied staying at home plus it wasn't really fair to DS1.

Take it slow. Go to target for a few minutes for your first outing. Then just make the outings longer and longer. It's like ripping a bandaid off and you just gotta do it. After a few weeks, I was pretty confident about taking the boys out and we went all over even to the zoo.

BFP 12/23/07, M/C 1/25/08 Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I just started going out myself. bfing does complicate things a little. My 1st son had issues taking a bottle so I started the bottle sooner this time and he took to it but that was just 2 days ago. I get ready to leave before I bf and then leave asap after bfing. Also I just ordered a ring sling to help for NIP & managing DS#1 more easily.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Lots of good suggestions from other people. I practiced at home with nursing while carrying her in the sling. I typically plan either short outings (for errands) or places where I know my son will play in one place (he's a runner). He loves the trains at Barnes and Noble and there's one at the mall so we'll stop in there if the baby gets hungry because I know he'll stay and play for a while. I don't stop at the play area because that doesn't hold his attention as long. 

In a pinch I've also put him in his car seat with my iPhone.

Oh, and if I'm at the playground and she wants to nurse I'll let another parent know that I'm nursing and point my son out so that if he needs to be chased after I have help.

Oh, and I personally don't think breastfeeding makes it any harder to do while chasing a toddler. Either way you have to feed the baby and watch the toddler. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"