LGBT Parenting
Options

XP: Separating 18mos olds at daycare?

We're starting the kids in daycare soon, they are 18mos now, but Finn is still crawling due to some muscle tone issues (he's getting PT now).

One that we're looking at that has a great reputation only has openings for 1 kid per classroom, meaning they would be separated.

I'm fine with them being separated when they go to school, but they seem so little, and Finn will be the youngest in the class and probably the only crawler.

Thoughts?

image Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Second Birthday tickers

Re: XP: Separating 18mos olds at daycare?

• Options

Oh, and I forgot to tell you, and I think this breaks the deal for me:

The application form for the Center says MALE and FEMALE for the parents name in HUGE bold letters in the middle of the page. Are you kidding that no one thought that that was a problem? 

• Options
    Well, the male/female thing wouldn't be a breaker for me since 90% of the forms we fill out say mother/father..but unless you absolutely love this place and/or they could move the kids in with each other fairly soon, I wouldn't do it. Especially if this is their first foray into daycare.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I wouldn't separate them. Especially if they haven't been in daycare before. Our kids really rely on each other at daycare, and I'd be sad if they didn't have that. That said, if it was a fantastic daycare and a limited time they'd be separated (say, a month or two), I'd probably weigh the pros & cons.
    married 03/08/08 -- ttc with PCOS (dx 2005) & DS
    IUI #3 gave us the best 2nd anniv. gift ever: 2 babies! (born 03/09/10)
    Peanut and Little Man are getting so big! 2 years old already!
    finally blogging again at This Will Be: An Adventure
  • Options

Well, most forms say mother/father. I honestly can't remember what the ones at our daycare said. They probably went with M/F thinking they were encompassing blended families.

I didn't say all of this in the XP, but since they haven't been in DC before (and it is PT) I think it'd be OK. It's a lot of change at once, but its better IMO than having them together then splitting into separate 2 yo rooms or something. 

But, I would ask if you can get on a waitlist or something for two spots in one room. Sounds much simpler.

• Options

The mother/father thing does bug me but it wouldn't be a deal breaker. I prefer "guardian 1" and "guardian 2."

How long would Finn be in the younger room before moving up?

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    imageTwo*True:

They would be separated from March-July hoping that two openings open in one classroom.  

• Options
    imagenorika33:
    imageTwo*True:

They would be separated from March-July hoping that two openings open in one classroom.  

DC will be a change for them anyway...the change to being apart PT will just be a part of DC to them I think. And 5 mo isn't THAT long, if you like this center and plan to stay there long term.

• Options
    imagecookiemonster03:
    imagenorika33:
    imageTwo*True:

DC will be a change for them anyway...the change to being apart PT will just be a part of DC to them I think. And 5 mo isn't THAT long, if you like this center and plan to stay there long term.

Yeah, that's not that long and the kids might find more independence/confidence without each other for a bit.  Plus, I would think that if there is an issue at first the teachers will probably be prepared to let them visit with each other as needed.

Can I ask which daycare you're looking at? Closer to home or closer to work?

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"