LGBT Parenting

OPK and charting progress

I wanted to update versus just posting questions - since reading other people's journeys is useful to me :)

I've been using an ovulation predictor test (clear blue digital) sine my first RE visit. We only plan on starting the process in April or May, but he suggested that 'experimenting' with the kit would help us understand my cycles prior to actually starting.

I started testing on day 9 (with day 1 being the first day of my period) and I'm now on day  23 with no positives yet. My partner suggested that I just track it daily in case I am an 'early dropper' as she so beautifully put it :D  I feel really PMSy right now, tender boobs, bloated, etc. Makes me wonder if I could get PMS symptoms with anovualation? If annovulation isn't truly a period, then its weird to me that I'd get period symptoms. Anyway, all of this stuff going around in my head, and its only the first month of tracking. I can see how this could make you crazy.

I'm a planner though, so my plan is to continue using the opk, and I've also ordered a book on fertility and a basal thermometer to try to be a bit more detailed with the tracking. Charting starting soon!  

This Friday we have a date to select our donor :) So exciting! I've short listed 5, and we'll sit together and choose. It feels a bit magical :)

IUI #1 - 10 April 2012 unmonitored and unmedicated with RE 
IUI #2 - 05 May 2012 unmonitored and unmedicated with RE 
IUI #3 - 05 July 2012 unmonitored and unmedicated with RE 
IUI #4 - 30 August 2012 medicated and monitoredLetrozole and Ovidrel Trigger 
IUI #5 - 27 September 2012 Letrozole 
BFP! 9 October 2012 Betas:- 12DPO 16; 16DPO 96; 18DPO 315

Baby Alarico born on 28 June 2013!!

Re: OPK and charting progress

• I don't know much about anovulation, but it is possible that you are ovulating and just not catching your surge for some reason with the OPKs.  A midwife told me it's possible not to produce a high-enough level of LH to trigger OPKs; if you aren't testing twice a day it's also possible you've had a short surge and missed it.  Either way, temping and charting should help you confirm whether you are or are not.  Yay for experimentation!  You'll probably be right on track to start in April or May.

Choosing a donor was a weird experience, but fun and exciting.  I'm happy with our choice but he hasn't knocked me up yet!

Married my wife 8/2007 ~ TTC #1 since 7/2011
    9 IUIs = 9 BFNs
    IVF October 2012: 22 eggs retrieved, 17 fertilized, 5 frozen
    ET #1: 1 blast = BFP; Blighted ovum discovered at 7w5d; D&E
    FET #1: 1 blast = BFP; Missed m/c discovered at 9w5d; D&E
    Karyotyping: normal ~ RPL Testing: normal ~ Hysteroscopy: normal
    FET #2: 1 blast transferred 10/25; BFP 10/31!
    EDD 7/13/14 ~ Induced at 37w4d due to pre-eclampsia ~ Born on 6/28/14
    *Everyone welcome*

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Definitely start tracking BBT and watching your cervical mucous.  There are a lot of possibilities - LH sure before you started OPKs, short LH surge you missed (I test twice a day when I'm expecting o), low LH that doesn't trigger OPK, lack of ovulation this month, late ovulation this month, faulty OPKs (some brands work better for some people than others), difficulty reading OPKs.  This is the reason to start tracking early - to be able to play around with those variables and learn about your cycle.  It's pretty common for people's cycles to go a bit wacky when you either start TTC or start paying attention.  Lots of healthy women with healthy ovaries occasionally don't ovulate for whatever reason (stress, travel, sickness, random chance).  Having a period, or therefore PMS symptoms, does not necessarily mean you ovulated, one month or ever.

Choosing a donor is crazy stressful but also a little fun.  My wife and I spent several hours sitting together reading dozens of profiles and making notes about each guy's positives and negatives and then re-reviewing all of it.  Good luck! 

TTC with PCOS since July 2011.
    IVF Oct/Nov 2012
    Beta #1 = 77, Beta #2 = 190, Beta #3 = 1044
    Cautiously optimistic.
  • Loading the player...
  • Thanks Ladies!

This is the beginning of what I think will be a long and crazy journey. I'm so grateful to have found a place like this, where I can read about other people's stories and share my own.

Your responses make me realize that as 'abnormal' as this is, I'm not unique, and many many women go through exactly what I am - that's reassuring :)

• So exciting to start TTC.  As PP said I think tracking BBT and testing with OPKs 2+ times day is especially helpful.  I also read that the LH surge is strongest around 2pm (I might have that time wrong....) But I found that as soon as I got a bit of color on the stick and tested again 2+ times later that same day that the surge/line would get darker.  Amazon also has wondo OPKs for sale that I liked and are really cheap. When I was on a TTC cycle I would use more than one OPK (I'm a little compulsive...lol) to make sure I was getting the window right.

Have fun finding your donor and all the other weird and cool things involved in TTC. :)  One more thought on the cycle I last conceived I got the first faint positive on day 8 or 9 - I had started testing around day 6 right as AF was disappearing.

• Thank you! This leads me to ask - I am using clear blue digital - do you recommend any other tests? This one recommends use with the first wee of the day, I am thinking that I could use a different one in the evening to test.

• I used the first response tests most recently (also purchased on Amazon and the Wondo OPK strips).  But over the years have tried so many brands, clear blue is probably good too. Many recommend fmu but I took the test multiple times a day (when close to Ovulating) waiting as many hours between going so I would have more concentrated urine.  I think I learned this in the Essential Guide to Lesbian Conception, Pregnancy & Birth book.
  • Thank you! I appreciate the warm welcome from all of you and the willingness to share your experiences :)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"