Adoption
Options

Anyone adopt through Spence-Chapin in NYC?

I read on their website they place newborns in an interim home where they are under the Spence-Chapin pediatrician's care until they go home with the adoptive family. Is this standard or just a special circumstance thing? 

Re: Anyone adopt through Spence-Chapin in NYC?

• Options
    I think spence chapin offers an option for birth parents to choose a temporary surrender (not exactly the same as foster care as its a private placement and revocable at any point) to kind of test the waters on whether they want to move to a permanent placement. I do not think too many other agencies do this so this would be an abnormal situation. Typically babies come straight home from the hospital to the adoptive families home.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

Thanks, it's not at all what we are dreaming of, I guess we'll see after we go to our meeting with them next month. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

imageNineoceans:
    I think spence chapin offers an option for birth parents to choose a temporary surrender (not exactly the same as foster care as its a private placement and revocable at any point) to kind of test the waters on whether they want to move to a permanent placement. I do not think too many other agencies do this so this would be an abnormal situation. Typically babies come straight home from the hospital to the adoptive families home.

I don't know about the temporary surrender part, but I am fairly certain that the part about coming straight home from the hospital isn't always true --  it could be part of NY state law (Spence Chapin is in NY, right?) that babies go to cradle care/foster care/interim care while all the paperwork is processing.

I think it will vary greatly depending on state law. 

Six years of infertility and loss, four IUIs, one IVF and one very awesome little boy born via med-free birth 10.24.13.
  • Options
    We live in NY and I haven't heard of it being the law.  Our agency isn't in NY but I've interviewed NY agencies and haven't heard of that practice.  I guess you could look at it as an extra safe-guard, but I would rather take our child home with us as well.
    Photobucket My Favorite Part of Spring~Red Sox Baseball!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"