Minnesota Babies
Options

Video monitors?

Question for all you ladies who are already moms- are video monitors necessary?  I registered for one and now I'm not quite sure that I need one.  We have a fairly small house but will be hanging out in our upper level and the baby's room will be on the first floor.  What do you think- video monitor or just regular monitor?

Thanks!

Re: Video monitors?

• Options
    A regular monitor should work fine. We didn't even use our regular monitor at night since my sons bedroom is right next to ours. I just used it for when he was napping and I was outside or in the basement so I could hear when he woke up. 
    Heather
  • Options

We had a regular monitor with our first and will be getting a video monitor with this one.

We live in a condo, so I can really hear her without the monitor but just because she made a noise doesn't mean I need to go in there, as half the time she is still asleep just made a noise. I like the video because then you can see if they really need you.

"imageimage
    The big sister, and Momma 30 weeks along with baby sister
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie Pregnancy tickers
    Food Blog, Family and Baby Blog
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

Oh, also- if you do recommend one, which brand?

Thanks!

• Options

A need or necessary - no. A good basic monitor will do. DDs room is on the second floor, we are on the main and have been fine with a basic audio (Sony babycall i believe is the name).

Would it be nice at times? Sure. But not a need :) 

imageimage
  • Options
    We have a regular non-video monitor and it works just fine. We have the Sony Baby Call (https://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2815277) and we have no issues with it. It got excellent reviews in the Baby Bargain's book which is why we got it.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

I, too, was on the fence about video monitors. I had heard from friends who had them, that you just stare at the screen all.day.long. I also thought going up the stairs to check on LO would provide me with much needed exercise.

So, we registered for and received the highly rated Sony Baby Call monitor.

Then, 3 weeks before our due date. My DH and I watched a video on the Angelcare 3in1 monitor (video, sound, movement sensor). I was strongly opposed to spending that kind of $ on a monitor.

Long story, made short: with the help of coupons, gift cards, etc...we bought one and both honestly have made mention several times that it was our best purchase ever.

Pros:
    + Angel care movement sensor gave me such a peace of mind with SIDS worries. I never thought I was really worried about it, but I later realized I appreciated the peace of mind.
    + The video is great, easy to see, and the handset is not big and bulky like a little TV
    + It has a timer/counter clock - great for keeping track when you put the baby in the crib last when you are operating on little sleep and can't remember the last time you nursed them.
    + Direct connect - it has a 2 way radio type system; which is helpful when you need something and your DH can hear you or now to talk to my six month old when she begins to cry, to calm her down a bit
    + Temperature - it displays the current room temp, again peace of mind
    + Bonus night light on the angel video that sits on the crib
    + A video monitor in general helps being able to watch them on video and see their movements, it really saves you from running to the nursery time and time again; and helps you learn their sounds.

Con:
    - Poor battery life

Absolutely love it and worth every penny! I actually blogged about it b/c I love it so much! :)

Good luck!

Lorryn
    www.amodernfamily.blogspot.com

Lorryn www.AModernFamily.blogspot.com
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"