Eco-Friendly Family
Options

Facial cleansers - bought or made

I'm looking for a gentle facial cleanser that is EF.  I'm looking at the EWG site and have found some potential options but they don't have any comments so I don't want to waste my money.

I have dry to normal skin.  I've tried using Dr. Bronner's but it dries my face out too much.  

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Facial cleansers - bought or made

• Options
    I would recommend Angels on Bare Skin from Lush. It's soooooo gentle and softening. I've been immensely pleased with all of Lush's products. 
  • Options

I use the Oil Cleansing Method, which works great for me and I have combo skin.

You can blend oils that are best for your skin type.  It took some experimenting for me, but I am having success with a blend of castor, olive and grapeseed oils.  Plus I add a drop or two of Young Living Oils Purification blend essential oil before applying to my face.  I use this every other day, other than that I just steam with a washcloth.

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    OCM for me, too.  Same method as above, but i do it nightly (and warm water only in the morning) and use different oils (evoo+castor, jojoba or avocado).  For dry skin you'd probably want to avoid, or at least go easy on the castor oil in any mixture (don't use it alone).
    Boy 10.6.13
    Labored at freestanding birth center using hypnobirthing techniques
    Delivered via csection
  • Options

I read about the OCM but can you do it every day? The website says to not do it too frequently but I wear light makeup every day.  I'm also slightly concerned about how hot I have to get the water to remove the oil as I flush very easily and don't want to make my skin blotchy

What about doing this in the summer?  Or maybe my skin will have adjusted by then that I won't become the oil slick I am in the summer?

• Options

With OCM, I find that it works differently for different people / skin types and that's why I experiemented with oil blends, and how often I use it.

When I first started OCM, I forget what oil combo I used, but my skin detoxed HORRIBLY.  I was also using it every day, which I've found through trial and error wasn't the best method for me.  You may try it and find that you can use it everyday.

Which website are you referencing?  When I started using it I read lots of different websites, forums and blogs to get a variety of info and other's accounts of their experiences so that I could make my own informed decisions.

• Options
    When I googled it, I just looked at theoilcleansingmethod.com  Maybe i'll look around more.  I would need to remove my makeup every day so I don't know if the OCM would work for me.
  • Options
    I  have pretty sensitive skin and started using OCM last week.  I'm using about 20% castor oil to about 80% safflower oil. Safflower is really light, and in our baby massage class our teacher recommended it for use in infant massage--I love it so far.  I also have to take my makeup off every day, and have found that about 2 minutes of oil massage and 2 rounds of steaming is what works for me.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    We'll always remember our angel baby: BFP 9/24/10, M/C 10/23/10 8w4d
  • Options

imageJenD1018:
    When I googled it, I just looked at theoilcleansingmethod.com  Maybe i'll look around more.  I would need to remove my makeup every day so I don't know if the OCM would work for me.
    Avocado oil works really well for me for makeup removal, though because i don't use anything waterproof i'm not sure whether it would work for you.imageJenD1018:I read about the OCM but can you do it every day? 
    What about doing this in the summer?  Or maybe my skin will have adjusted by then that I won't become the oil slick I am in the summer? My skin is significantly less oily (esp if i use any castor oil) and shiny than it was using conventional cleansers.

The good news is even if you tried avo oil for your skin and didn't like it, you could use it in cooking :)imageAnaKat405:my skin detoxed HORRIBLY. What does this "look" like?  (Weird wording, i know, but i think you kwim.)

Boy 10.6.13
    Labored at freestanding birth center using hypnobirthing techniques
    Delivered via csection
  • Options
    imageCDMay2006:

imageAnaKat405:

my skin detoxed HORRIBLY. 
    What does this "look" like?  (Weird wording, i know, but i think you kwim.)

Not exactly sure how to explain it, but it was a severe breakout / reaction. Not exactly acne but more of I guess a textured rash?  All over my face. It was pretty awful and actually had me a bit gunshy on OCM for several months!

• Options

I order the sugar face soap from soapforgoodnesssake online, and it has worked really well for me (I have combination skin-- t-zone is very oily but cheeks are very dry). I tried washing my face with their oatmeal soap, but it was way too drying. My nightly routine is to wash with the sugar soap, then apply some witch hazel on any red spots, then moisturize with shea butter (again, I get this from soapforgoodnesssake). I've been doing this for about 2 months and it seems to be working well so far! Good luck!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I really like using Dr. Bronners TTO in a foaming pump.

Big E (6) & Little E (2.5)
  • Options
    I use Dr. Bronner's in a foaming pump dispenser and it works well for me.  But I recently was given a sample of this  https://www.theallnaturalface.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.details&ProductID=117565 strawberries and cream face food cleanser and loved it.  (It's reviewed in my blog, see siggy if you're interested)
  • Options

I love Eminence products.  I just got the stone crop face wash and serum.  They are great!

https://www.eminenceorganics.com/en-US/

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"