C-sections
Options

Allergic to steri-strips?

I've had three c-sections and with all of them, my abdomen would get red and itchy. Not anywhere on the incision, just around it. I'm starting to wonder if I'm allergic to the steri-strips? It's driving me crazy and my skin is itchy itchy. It's the weekend so there is no one in my OB's office, but can I just take them off?
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Allergic to steri-strips?

• Options

My OB had me take mine off, he said get in a hot shower and soap them up and peel them very slowly.  I only took the outside ones off and got scared and had him take the rest off at my appointment a few days later.

FWIW if you are alergic to latex the steri strips will make you break out and burn.

• Options

I don't THINK I'm allergic to latex, but my skin is super sensitive to lots of stuff. I can never wear any jewelry and keloid scar all over the place.

I called my OB's office and the wonderful on call Dr told me to take them off and put gauze over my incision and use paper tape to secure it. So glad. Because holy cow. Itching is NOT fun.

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I'm allergic to all adhesives and latex. I had huge blisters from mine that itched and hurt worse than the incision! Definitely a possibilty you are allergic!
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options

imagepitterpatter129:
    I'm allergic to all adhesives and latex. I had huge blisters from mine that itched and hurt worse than the incision! Definitely a possibilty you are allergic!

This was me too, that clear stuff they put on your tummy before the surgery blistered my whole tummy.  It was aweful, I think I am going to have scars from that worse than any stretch marks that I got. 

If not latex you could be alergic to the glue, but there is latex in the strips.

• Options

With my first c/s the ster-strips made me crazy itchy - I peeled them off 3 days after discharge (1 week post-op). When I went in to get my staples out this time my OB went to get some steri-strips out and I asked her not to because they made me itch so bad. She agreed because she had cut out my old keloid and didn't want any irritation to the incision to possibly end up with another keloid.

Like other posters have said, I react to all sorts of adhesives - I won't put a band-aid on something unless I have to because they make me itch and sometimes blister. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"