Eco-Friendly Family

Non-GMO seeds?

I don't usually post on here, but I was just wondering if anyone knew HOW tell if the garden seeds you are buying are genetically modified or not?

I keep a garden in the spring/summer/fall, and I've been trying more each year to cook from the garden when I can, but it dawned on me that the seeds I'm buying to plant in the garden could be genetically modified, too. 

Does anyone know?

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: Non-GMO seeds?

• I haven't really paid much attention because I'm a terrible gardener, but here's what I remember... 

something something heirloom seeds are good something something look at https://www.seedsavers.org/

Natural M/C-> 10/21/09

2011 Reading Challenge

2011 Reading Challenge
    Adrienne has read 16 books toward her goal of 80 books.
    hide
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Seedsavers is a great resource. I switched to using all heirloom and open-pollenated seeds. You're not going to find those at Walmart most likely. I bought most of my current seeds from victoryseeds.com. But that's because they're local to me. Try to find an heirloom seed source that grows and gathers seeds in your zone and area. The things that thrive for them will likely thrive for you.

Also, I believe currently anything labeled "organic" can't be GMO although it can be hybrid (this means the normal cross-pollination methods that have been used for centuries in plant propagation rather than changing DNA of a plant). Some of my favorite garden varieties can be organic hybrids (like sungold cherry tomatoes and sunshine squash), but my goal is to be able to propagate plants/seeds from my own garden so I've chosen heirlooms. A hybrid plant produces unreliable seeds and if you save and replant the seeds from a hybrid sungold cherry tomato, for instance, you will not get a sungold cherry next year. 

Another cool thing about heirloom varieties is that each year you grow and save your seeds the plants will become heartier and heartier for your particular growing conditions. Very cool. 

I just got into gardening in the last 1 1/2 years and it's fascinating to me. I am addicted! I wish I knew more, but there's time for that. Enjoy your garden! 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Forgot to mention that you should keep up with food labeling laws. Monsanto and other conglomerates are trying to have laws changed that would allow things labeled organic to be GMO. If and when that happens you'll likely be limited to heirloom seeds and even then you'll want to try to isolate your plants from pollen from your neighbors plants if you want to save seeds as cross pollenation with a GMO plant can render the offspring of your non-GMO plant this year into a GMO plant next year. The frightening evils of GMOs. 

Hope that helps! 

• Like pps said, currently if it is labeled as organic it is not GM, and heirloom seeds are gmo-free, too. Some times you'll also find seeds/ produce/other foods that are not certified organic (and may our may not be grown/possessed according to organic standards), but are gmo-free and labled as such.
    Boy 10.6.13
    Labored at freestanding birth center using hypnobirthing techniques
    Delivered via csection
  • I wanted to second the heirloom seeds from Seed Savers (great organization to support!). I just bought another round of seeds from them again this year and have had great results with their stock.

Just check other seed companies ownership (even organic ones) some are owned by companies like M&M Mars and Monsanto. Here is a good list I found on mothering.com

Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Most companies that do not use GMO seeds will label somewhere on the package.  Going with heirloom or organic seeds/seedlings assures the seeds are not GMO.   I love the Baker Seed Co, they have a great selection of some really awesome and unique plants.  Makes me drool every time I get their catalog.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • What everyone else said. I've had very good luck with annie's heirloom seeds, online. Family business, good seeds!
  • Costco.com has on sale this week non-GMO seeds in a survial box. It is enough seeds for a 5 acre plot. Interesting.....

Multiple ectopics, 2 failed IVF's
    IVF #1: Did not get to ET, embies all failed PGD (major chromosomal defects)
    IVF #2: We have 2 chromosomally perfect embies as a result of PGD (Boy/Girl) 1 failed the thaw (Girl) Transferred 1, yet ended as a c/p
    Thought it was the end of our TTC Journey 6/20/2012
    SHOCK BFP 9/28/2012: IT'S A BOY! and everything is normal !!!!!!

Little A born 38w 2d on 05/23/13 and is a true miracle for this IF Vet!

• Not sure how to tell the difference visually, but I can tell you where to get great biodynamic seeds:  https://turtletreeseed.org/

AWESOME organization, and great seeds. I have personally worked in their seed gardens as well as their processing workshop, and everything is super kosher (not literally, you know what I mean!)

BabyName Ticker Pregnancy Ticker image image imageimageimage
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"