Austin Babies
Options

Roku

i know there are lots of you who have pulled the cable plug, and i'm getting closer to that. anyone have a roku to stream to tv? pros? cons? we don't currently have any paid subscriptions, but i'd guess that netflix is a must. what about hulu plus? amazon prime?

Re: Roku

• Options
    we're getting close to pulling the plug too... i checked out hulu plus the other day and a lot of the shows i watch are available for me there... hubby thought won't have access to most of the shows he likes the most (nat geo, discovery, etc)
  • Options
    I'm almost ashamed to admit we have DirectTV along with Roku (with Netflix, Hulu and Amazon shows). The Roku is the bomb digity.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

We've had the roku for a few years now and love it! We've used it with Netflix and Amazon, and today I added Hulu Plus. We cut the cable cord yesterday. Amazon is free with our Prime membership unless we want to rent movies and they're not very expensive ($4-6). Netflix and Hulu add up to about $16 a month. We were paying around $80 for cable/DVR. If my math is correct, thats $768 savings a year. A no-brainer IMO. I won't really miss much - maybe some HGTV and reality crap. DH will die during college football season, but has plenty of friends that he can go watch with. The savings will also cover season tickets to UT games which we're going to forego this year, but get back next. I'm actually excited that we won't be the gathering place for football anymore. I've put up with it for years, but hate hosting every single weekend. 

@Fly - Netflix has a TON of discovery and nat geo stuff.  

• Options
    is the roku 2 XS worth the extra money over the roku 2 XD?
  • Options
    We have the XD because our TV supports a higher display detail or something (but not the top of the line model because we didn't want or need the games)
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options

I don't know which Roku we have, but it is awesome.

However, a lot of blu ray players have the same capabilities. So do Playstation 3s. So if you've got one of those, you may not need it.

We have Netflix and Hulu Plus. Totally worth it, I hardly miss cable.

Pregnancy Ticker CP 4w1d March '11
    Clomid 50mg June '11 - BFN
    Clomid 100 mg Oct '11 - BFN
    Clomid 150 mg Nov '11 - BFP @9dpo! Beta#1 @10dpo: 22; Beta#2 @12dpo: 67 Beta#3 @18dpo: 1069! EDD 8-16-12
    My (mostly) business travel blog
  • Options

imageTaytee:
    We have the XD because our TV supports a higher display detail or something (but not the top of the line model because we didn't want or need the games)

we have a wii and an old school xbox, which we never use anymore, so we probably don't need the game one.

i think y'all have me convinced. i just need to watch everything i currently have saved on the DVR before we say goodbye.

• Options

We're on the fence, too, and we've decided to hold out a little longer.  I refuse to give up 24/7 Olympics coverage this summer and DH still needs a little more convincing that he won't go into sports withdrawal.

Our compromise is that we *might* get a Roku with add-ons (Hulu Plus, Amazon Prime, etc.) from January-August and get cable August-December for college football.  It's not a huge amount of savings compared to cancelling cable all together, but it would be better than no savings at all.  Hopefully, though, more and more channels will become available that convince us to switch sooner rather than waiting until next year.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"