Eco-Friendly Family

Ideas on making your own baby friendly laundry detergent...

New to this board, but heard the ladies here know their stuff!

I've found a tons of different things on making your own laundry detergent but am a little worried about it being safe for my baby.

Does anyone have an experience on this? We will be cloth diapering and figured this might be a way to safe some extra $ with all the washing we will be doing.

Any ideas, advice or experience with making your own detergent would be awesome! 

TIA! 
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Ideas on making your own baby friendly laundry detergent...

• I'm planning on making my usual detergent (grated baby-mild Dr. Bronner's, baking soda), but without the essential oils that I usually add for fragrance. However, I'm not going to be cloth diapering, so I don't really know whether that would be an appropriate detergent for washing diapers. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I haven't tried this, but other people have with good results.  There's a cloth diaper version and one for clothing.

https://theecofriendlyfamily.com/2009/08/cloth-diaper-detergent/ 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • From the Granola Babies store: https://www.granolababies.com/clothdiapering/info_75.html

A WORD ON LAUNDRYLaundry routines are as varied and personal as cloth diaper systems, and you will have to figure out what works for you, your diapers, and your washing machine. But here are a few things to keep in mind:All detergents are NOT created equally. Never use a diaper detergent with fragrances, dyes, enzymes or brighteners. Some detergents that are popular in the cloth-diapering world are Rockin Green (available at Granola Babies) Allen?s Naturally, Country Save (also at Granola Babies and our favorite!), and Sport-Wash. Some people have good luck with ?free and clear? brands and others don?t.It seems counter-intuitive, but you want to use less detergent on diapers than you would on clothes, or you will get a stinky build-up. Generally, for detergent that isn't  cloth diapering detergent, use about half the recommended amount of detergent in a top loader and a quarter of the recommended amount in a front-loader.You will find what works for you, but some variation on a cold pre-wash, hot/cold wash, and extra cold rinse is common when laundering cloth diapers. Line drying is great for the planet, but any diapers with a PUL layer need to have a hot dryer cycle from time to time to seal up the waterproof barrier.Wet pails (soaking soiled diapers until washing time) used to be the norm, but they are used with less and less frequency. Most people keep soiled diapers in a dry pail (and a bit of breathing room actually helps control the stink) until they are ready to be washed. The stink many people associate with diapers today actually comes from the reaction between urine and the chemicals in disposables. You will likely be surprised by how little you smell the dirty diapers.Setting diapers out in the sun makes a world of difference in removing stains.

www.lulukangaroo.com Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image image
  • imageShortcake2675:

I haven't tried this, but other people have with good results.  There's a cloth diaper version and one for clothing.

This. I used the CD recipe for everything and loved the smell. 

Natural M/C-> 10/21/09

2011 Reading Challenge

2011 Reading Challenge
    Adrienne has read 16 books toward her goal of 80 books.
    hide
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • imageShortcake2675:

I haven't tried this, but other people have with good results.  There's a cloth diaper version and one for clothing.

This. I used the CD recipe for everything and loved the smell. 

Natural M/C-> 10/21/09

2011 Reading Challenge

2011 Reading Challenge
    Adrienne has read 16 books toward her goal of 80 books.
    hide
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"