Austin Babies
Options

Antepartum depression

Anyone ever deal with this?  If so, would you mind sharing your experience?

Re: Antepartum depression

• Options

I don't have any advice but I just wanted to give you a big virtual hug.

{{ HUG }} 

• Options

A coworker/friend is dealing with it right now. She was put on lexapro and referred to a psychiatrist who would manage her therapy and meds. The turnaround was incredible--I'd say within 2 weeks she was back to a happy place, and within a month was 100% back to normal.

I'm sorry you're having a hard time. :-(

Dear Bump: You suck.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

Yes!  It's horrible. 

I had successfully gone off my meds for depression about 6 months before we started TTC.  I was so proud of myself and for once happy with life.  I made it until about 18 weeks pg before I couldn't take it anymore.  I was horrible mean to my husband, said awful things, wasn't happy about life at all.  I even went to the gender scan in a zombie state, I wasn't excited at all.  My main thing was everyone always says how happy they are to be pregnant and how wonderful it is.  Yeah, kiss my butt.  For me pregnancy is miserable.  I hated it.  I actually did get to the hurting myself thoughts (previous history of suicide attempts) but the baby made me not go there.  At my appointment at 20 weeks I told my doctor and he immediately put me back on Lexapro.  He said me being healthy was much more important than being depressed while pregnant.  The risks are SO low on the meds, he's never seen any problems, and be being depressed and not taking care of myself would definitely hurt my baby.

I'm on the lowest dose of Lexapro , 10mg once a day, and it's made a world of difference.  I sleep better, I eat, I work out, I'm happy to be around people.  Pregnancy in itself is still hard, but I don't mind it now.  I'm emotionally level, and don't yell or overreact hardly ever.  I do still of course, but I can handle it.  I can also safely breastfeed on it later.

I highly recommend talking to your doctor.  Antepartum depression can definitely lead to PPD later.  This way they'll know to keep an eye on you and you can keep an eye out for any more warning signs. 

Feel free to email me for ANYTHING.  angelaggie at msn

PS: just realized you never said you were dealing with it, so um yeah. 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    imageangelaggie:

Thank you.  I think I've been dealing with it for a while and just haven't admitted it until I reached my breaking point today.  I'm going to try to see my OB tomorrow.  Thank you for sharing your experience with me.  I was in a similar situation after my first.  I realized after the fact that I think I suffered  from PPD, so I would like to try to avoid that again.  I may email you if you don't mind.

Thanks T and K for your kind words as well.

• Options
    I didn't, just PPD, but I wanted to send you my thoughts and hugs. No matter when you experience it, it sucks.
  • Options
    imageangelaggie:

Yes!  It's horrible. 

I had successfully gone off my meds for depression about 6 months before we started TTC.  I was so proud of myself and for once happy with life.  I made it until about 18 weeks pg before I couldn't take it anymore.  I was horrible mean to my husband, said awful things, wasn't happy about life at all.  I even went to the gender scan in a zombie state, I wasn't excited at all.  My main thing was everyone always says how happy they are to be pregnant and how wonderful it is.  Yeah, kiss my butt.  For me pregnancy is miserable.  I hated it.  I actually did get to the hurting myself thoughts (previous history of suicide attempts) but the baby made me not go there.  At my appointment at 20 weeks I told my doctor and he immediately put me back on Lexapro.  He said me being healthy was much more important than being depressed while pregnant.  The risks are SO low on the meds, he's never seen any problems, and be being depressed and not taking care of myself would definitely hurt my baby.

I'm on the lowest dose of Lexapro , 10mg once a day, and it's made a world of difference.  I sleep better, I eat, I work out, I'm happy to be around people.  Pregnancy in itself is still hard, but I don't mind it now.  I'm emotionally level, and don't yell or overreact hardly ever.  I do still of course, but I can handle it.  I can also safely breastfeed on it later.

I highly recommend talking to your doctor.  Antepartum depression can definitely lead to PPD later.  This way they'll know to keep an eye on you and you can keep an eye out for any more warning signs. 

My experience was very similar.  Around 20 weeks I started weeping at my desk every day because I was certain that my DH was going to die in an accident and I was going to be left alone.  Runaway thoughts.  I'd weened off of lexapro in the first tri with a warning from Dr. S that I might have to get back on it.  He was right.

I was on 10mg for the rest of the pregnancy and then after DD was born I went up to 20mg.  There is a very high incidence of PPD in ladies who experience APD.  If you need anything please let me know.  Those were some dark days and I am so glad I asked for help.  You will be, too.  Hugs. 

• Options
    I had PPD after my first and tried to wean off it when I got pg with my 2nd (3 months after giving birth to my 1st) and ... it did NOT work. I was on 25mg of Zoloft (very small dose, but it helped immensely) throughout the rest of my 2nd pregnancy. Bravo to you for getting help.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    I too have a similar story to AngelaAggie's. I've dealt with depression and meds for a decade+, tried to go off during first trimester, and am happily back on a lower dose - 10mg of Lexapro. It allows me to sleep, not try to break up my marriage, and not consider hurting myself if something went wrong with the baby. I have a great NP who has helped talk me through all of my questions, and I plan on going back up to my normal dose of 20 or 30mg after the birth. Please also feel free to PM me if you want to talk more. You are good to ask questions! Don't wait to take the next steps, hard as they may be! Lots of good wishes to you. It gets better.
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"