Preemies

Recs from NICU mamas, please

My sister gave birth to her 3 boys 2 weeks ago via emergency c-section under general anesthesia.  Her sweet baby has meconium aspiration syndrome and is in the NICU.  They got word this morning that it will likely be another month before he is discharged.

My sister is doing her best to be there for as many feedings as she can.  She's pumping and nursing successfully but with a 3.5 & 5.5 year at home she obviously can't be there all the time.  She's struggling hard to meet everyone's needs right now and I'd like to do something to help.  Sadly, she's in PA and I'm in TX so whatever I can throw together will have to be from afar.

She's covered with childcare when she needs it (my parents live very close and are able to help).  Her friends have put together a care calendar and she has meals for the next month or so.  She has baby stuff out the wazoo since this is her 3rd son.  

I've thought about hiring a cleaning service for them but will that stress her out even more?  I love having someone come to clean the the day before I'm always frantic trying to pick up toys and junk and mail so the cleaners can do their job.  I'd love to have someone come in to do their laundry - does a service like that exist, I wonder?

I'd love some BTDT recommendations, especially if you have older kids at home while you're going through this.  Are there any good children's books that might help the older boys understand what's going on without scaring them even more? 

My thoughts and prayers go out to all of you and your babies.  I hope they're all healthy and home ASAP. <3 

Re: Recs from NICU mamas, please

• It sounds like your parents and her close friends have the big things covered.  Here's a list that was put together based on responses to similar posts:

https://preemiemomblog.blogspot.com/p/what-can-i-do-for-my-friend.html

Maybe ask your mom if she knows someone from church that could do laundry?

Do you talk to your sister regularly?  Could you be the "go-to" person for information?  You could set up a Caring Bridge or FB group and keep friends and family updated on what was going on.  People mean well with all the phone calls and texts, but it's SO draining to try to answer all of them.

I hope your nephew surprises everyone and is home soon! 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • If you think cleaning service for whole house would stress her out, how about just hiring cleaning service once a week to come and clean bathrooms and kitchen and do laundry?

You can make arrangements with local dry cleners for laundering service.  I think they charge by pound.  Maybe find a local one that also has pick up and delivery.

If she does not have one already, send her a Simple Wishes pumping bra TODAY.  She can pump hands free and still get stuff done or at least respond to emails and texts.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Thanks for the help!  I appreciate it.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"