Health & Exercise
Options

C-section mamas-working out afterwards

I am wondering when many of you were able to work out, run and lift weights. How did it feel to get back at it? I was/ am very active before and during my pregnancy  and I will be eager to get back at it. 

Thanks! 

Re: C-section mamas-working out afterwards

• Options
    I was super active before and during my first pregnancy (3 marathons, tons of 1/2s, tons of other races) and was running the entire time (I ran 3 miles at 41w2d at a decent clip and this was my last run before going to the hospital to be induced).  I started walking again almost as soon as I got home from the hospital and was walking as far as I would want to run (3-5 miles) about 2 weeks pp.  I started lifting and doing light abs around 3 weeks pp.  I tried several times to run but it HURT so I ended up doing my first 3 mile run around 5 weeks pp.  At first my running was terrible -- I'm not like win races fast but I'm decent and I was running about 10 minute miles and had to stop a few times on my first 3 mile run!  So bad for me!  But then I just kept at it and by the time I was going back to work after maternity leave (3 months), I had a decent 6-mile run under my belt and was more or less getting back to my normal speeds and distances. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    i was not active when pregnant because i was sick all the time and i was lucky to walk up the stairs by the end.  after getting home from hospital i walked several times a week.  When i got the ok to exercise 6 weeks pp I signed up at the gym with a trainer and instantly started lifting and doing cardio and abs.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Fantastic ladies! Thanks for the feedback. I feel confident I should be up and at 'em soon after,but of course I'll need to gauge howim feeling and the recovery. 
  • Options

I had a c-section with my first child (scheduled, no complications) and was up walking shortly thereafter.  I walked 1.5 miles the first day home from the hospital.  I was able to run and get back (gently) into my regular workouts at 6 weeks including some abs.

The incision site does feel "funny" for lack of a better term for a while.

I was very active during my pregnancy (worked out the day before she was born).

imageimage Ashley Sawtelle Photography
  • Options
    Just wanted to say thanks for asking this and for the great responses. I'm very active (still lifting pretty heavy with six days to go to my scheduled C--I had a vaginal delivery with DD), and I've been a little discouraged reading advice on this topic on other sites. I'm glad to hear that some of you were able to get back to it relatively quickly and hope I will be able to do the same.
    Baby E: July 3, 2009 Baby M: February 22, 2012
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"