3rd Trimester
Options

Crest Whitestrips during pregnancy, safe??

Hello ladies,

Just wondering what you know about this?  I've asked my OB but since they don't sell them here in Australia he couldn't give me a firm answer.  I have been using them about once a year.. we used to live in the US so I'm hooked.

Should I wait till after baby is born?  Are they safe during breastfeeding?

(also posted on April 2012) 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Crest Whitestrips during pregnancy, safe??

• Options
    I've done them early early before I knew I was pregnant and asked my dentist about it... he said not to worry about it but not to use them again (just to be safe since they haven't done studies on it) for the rest of my pregnancy... not sure about nursing.  
  • Options
    I looked into this when I was in first tri and it is not safe.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

My dentist told me to stop using them for the duration of pregnancy. They do not interfere with breastfeeding according to her.

• Options
    My ob said he didn't see a problem with them, just that you should not ingest any of it. So I wound up spitting alot, my OB even cleared me to get my teeth bleached at dentist. I did both and everything seems to be ok with me and LO, not sure about BF, but I would think same rules apply.
  • Options

I am a dental hygienist and we do not "recommend" using any bleaching products during pregnancy. Honestly, it is probably fine to use them, but studies done on animals are inconclusive. There have been no studies done on people (for obvious reasons). The products in teeth whitening solutions cause tissue distruction and cell death . Considering a developing baby is (medically speaking) developing tissue, you can't know what kind of harm the solution will have on it.  I am currently 32 weeks pregnant and I quit bleaching during pregnancy (which was not easy). I am just to big of a chicken to try it with out really knowing the consequences. So, long story short is no, it is not "safe" to bleach while pregnant or nursing. When I talked to the dentist I work for about it, he said they can never say it is safe, but its probably okay. Totally up to you on what you decide. :) Good luck!

image image Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Visit The Nest!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"