VBAC

When do you give up on VBAC?

I know I still have a little time but I'm feeling less optimistic. I had a c/s with my DD when we discovered she was breech on my due date. The story behind that is long and silly. I also by my due date had no dilation and no effacement despite weeks and weeks of BH. She was over 8 lbs and 21 inches. There was some debate whether I just didn't dilate because she was breech and couldn't put pressure on my cervix or if my body is just stubborn but I was told since breech was the main reason I would be a good candidate for VBAC.ISo as of now I have a head down baby confirmed by u/s because I didn't trust that otherwise. I am not dilated or effaced. My OB will not use anything other than pitocin in small amounts for VBAC so I cannot do it of I don't progress some on my own. I have been having contractions randomly and some are pretty strong. Still nothing. They tell me this baby will be bigger. I had a fine c/s experience last time. It wasn't an emergency so it wasn't as scary as it could've been. I thought VBAC this time because I wanted the experience and for DH to get to cut the cord. And why have surgery if I don't need it. This might be our last baby. I just don't know at what point I schedule RCS. They don't want me past 40 but will not let me go beyond 41. With such a big baby do I want to go that late? And if I'm in labor for hours and it ends in c/s anyway?
Oct 2008 m/c #1 5 weeks, May 2009 m/c #2 4w5d. BFP 6/23/09 EDD 3/8/10!
You gain strength, courage and confidence by every experience in which you stop to look fear in the face. -Eleanor Roosevelt
After 1 year of TTC#2 BFP May 2011 m/c #3 4w2d. Off to RE.

Round 1: Femara + Ovidrel +TI = BFP! EDD 2/20/12
Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
2IF does not always equal 3IF...Surprise!
Lilypie Maternity tickers

Re: When do you give up on VBAC?

• Some women never dilate before going into labor, maybe you're one of them.  And they really can't know  that this baby is bigger, they're just guessing--and could be wrong by 2 pounds, so I would take that with a grain of salt.

I think most woman wait until 40 or 41 weeks to schedule the RCS.  Personally I have no intentions of scheduling one, and luckily my midwife is like-minded (as long as baby, placenta and I continue to be healthy).

It really just comes down to what you want, and what you feel is best for you and your baby.  A lot of us feel that at least trying to have a VBAC is worth it, even if we end up with a c/s again.  But there are also a lot of woman that don't want to go through the TOL, and would rather just have a c/s and be done.  

Whatever you do, I hope you and the baby have a happy and healthy birth! 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image image
  • Dilation tells you nothing prior to actual labor. I had a friend who was 0 at her 39 wk OB appt in the morning and delivered 12 hrs later.

Another friend was 4 cms for a month before delivering at 40 wks 4 days.

And 8 lbs isn't very big, my Mom delivered a 9.5 lb baby naturally with her first. My next brother was 8 lbs and I was 6lbs 12 oz.

She never had any trouble and she was 126 when she delivered my brother and avg. height with a slight build.

Plus the baby could be no more than 6 lbs as these guesses can be 2 lbs off.

I think you're just getting a case of the nerves. Read some positive VBAC stories and think about why you wanted a VBAC in the first place.

If nothing else letting your baby pick it's bday is better for it and may reduce the possibility of breathing issues at birth. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • I won't give up until they are cutting my open.  And I will wait until 41weeks, 23 hours and 59 minutes.  Or until whatever the ridiculous hospital rules will allow.

My sister just had her 8+ lb baby 3 weeks ago.  She was 0cm dilated until she started having real timeable contractions.  She had her baby 16 hours later.  Your body is definitely warming up.  I'd give it a chance.

Personally, I don't buy the whole "big baby" thing.  I believe that most people don't grow babies larger than they can birth.  And that given time and possibly some medical assistance, most babies will come out.  Now, I know there will be some that just don't, but it's no where near the c-section rate we're seeing these days. 

I also think growth ultrasounds are really inaccurate, so I wouldn't let that get you down.  I've heard so many stories where they were off by a pound or more.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I will not give up either.  I think the weight estimate is bologna.  I was told DS was 13 lbs! And he was born at 36weeks 6days at 8lb 3oz.  Ultrasounds aren't an absolute science for determining weight.  Think positive mama, your body can do this! Good Luck:) 

AP, BWing, BFing, CDing, VBAC, Crunchy Mama to my handsome little 2 year old and squishy newbie! Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers Babywearing Leader to the DuPage Slingers www.DuPageSlingers.Blogspot.com
  • I work in Labor and Delivery and our hospital does VBACs... First, contractions can occur weeks if not months before your due date. What is "true labor" is when there is change in the cervix. This can be dilation, effacement, or even just station or position...if your baby is head down usually this will happen naturally.  That being said, this doesn't always happen.  At our hospital we schedule R C/S at 39 weeks or later. The risk is if you go into labor on your own we want to be prepared if a C/S is likely.  If you are planning a VBAC and have gotten the ok, they will usually let you wait it out. The reason for inducing with pitocin is because it is the safest method to help cause cervical change. Any other form my soften the cervix and cause and increased risk for rupture or hemmorage.  If you have an arrest of dilation or desent, then they will push for the section...GOOD LUCK!

If you end up having the section, just tell your doctor you would like them to leave the baby's cord long so your DH could trim it after the surgery :)

10/2009 #1 IUI with trigger-failure 11/2009 #2 IUI with trigger- failure 12/2009 #3 IUI with trigger-failure 01/2010 IVF cycle started~02/18 ER 7 eggs 4 fertilized 2 viable,~ 02/22 ET 2 embryos~ 11/2010 healthy baby girl born!! 8/2011 tigger/natural approach -failure 9/2011 natural approach-failure 10/2011 #1 IUI with trigger-failure 01/2012 IVF cycle started~02/16 ER 17 eggs 0 fertilized ???~ET cancelled Questions unanswered :( ~~ September 2012 IVF#3 !! Excited and hopeful! Plan is to do ICSI! Trying to Conceive Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • 2nd babies are not always larger even though "they" say they are. And growth ultrasounds are notoriously inaccurate. So I would ignore that part.

My DS was born at 41wk 2days by vbac. I had a c/s scheduled for the next day.

Laboring for hours and ending up with a c/s is a concern, but it was a risk I was willing to take. In the end I was in labor 29 hours, and there were several points along the way where it looked like I was heading for a rcs... but in the end it all worked out. Personally, it was a chance I couldn't let go by. I was happy that I got to go into labor on my own, that baby picked his own birthday, that my water broke on its own... and lots of other small things. These are things that were just personally important to me and each one felt like a victory so if I had a rcs, at least I had some little victories along the way.

The former jen5/03.

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"