Maryland Babies
Options

Does anyone/has anyone actually MADE Valentine's?

Maybe I'm just on the preschool board too much, but a good percentage of the posters there are making Valentine's w/ their LOs to give at school  I've never in my life MADE Valentines.  When I was little, I exchanged little store bought cards at school and as an adult, I've exchanged greeting cards w/ friends/BF's/DH now, parents, etc. 

I worry that I'm missing some "cultural knowledge" sometimes b/c my mom wasn't raised in the US so she didn't do everything "right."

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Re: Does anyone/has anyone actually MADE Valentine's?

• Options
    We may have made them at school for our parents, but never made them at home for school.  We totally bought the packages of little paper cards.  It took long enough just to fill in the "to" and "from" on the back.
    IMG_2304IMG_3206
    Baby Girl #2 is on her way!
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options

We "made" paper valentines by cutting hearts out of construction paper.  This was in the early 80's and my parents had 3 kids and not a lot of spare cash.  I think my mom just had the construction paper on hand, so that is what we used. 

These days it is a heck of a lot cheaper to buy the paper valentines then a pack of construction paper.  I paid $1 for Evie's valentines and a pack of construction paper costs at least $5.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I wonder if these ladies just maybe have more time to do that :) I have the time and we have paint and construction paper but I don't want to deal with it with my 2 :) It was so much easier for me to buy valentines though we are going to make handmade ones for the grandparents and possibly his teachers. One of my mom groups had a great idea for a card. 
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
  • Options

I probably made them at some point as a child. 

Last year for DDs class we just bought some Princess themed ones because after trip to Disney + Princess stuff for Christmas, she was heavy into the Princess stuff.

I remember that at least one of her classmates gave our "homemade" ones- but they were made from pre-cut foam hearts and stickers.

DD asked to paint the other day and told her to paint some Valentine's for her grandparents, etc. so we will send those as Valentines. I guess we will buy some for her class.

I know one mom (who does not SAH) made heart shaped crayons for her DD to give out- talk about making me feel bad!  

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options

When I was little my mom was super crafty. We were always doing projects and she never had me make Valentine's for my class. We always used the pre-made ones.

My husband and I make Valentine's day cards for each other, and this year Ada has made some for us as well. I can't imagine making them for her friends though. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

We made handprint hearts for the grandparents last year and this year I wanted to do handprint roses with Lucy's feet as the leaves but really, who am I kidding?!?  My parents came over yesterday and I cut out a heart and had Emily draw on it. 

We haven't bought cards for daycare yet and I'm debating making them and having color them. There are only 5 kids at daycare and then one for dcp and one for her daughter, so 7 is doable. 

Growing up, my mom didn't have a crafty bone in her body, so we always bought ours. I'm sure Emily will want to buy them soon enough, I'm not against it but we have fun crafting together.  

• Options

Kathryn, I also think that when our parents were growing up, it was special to hand out 'store bought' cards, it meant that you had money to spare, and you were "rich", but now that thing are masses produced, the current currency is time. So if you can make the cards, then the perception is that you have time to spare which makes it more special. 

But the truth is the kids at school/daycare are just going to rip the cards to shreds and only care about the candy so why spend the time?

(And, yes I know I just posted that I was making Emily's but I'm planning on cutting out hearts and taping a dum dum lollipop to it - I'm not doing those crayon hearts or anything crazy.) 

• Options

where was your mom raised?

I only remember making valentines in elementary school with lace doilies and safety scissors. For DS's valentines day party I just got a pack of valentines at the grocery store. And lucky me, I had enough left over from last year that I didn't have to go out and get more, haha. I dont even have time to blow dry my hair-forget making freaking valentines.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

OK - you guys are making me feel better!  I got a bunch of Dora Valentine's and I'm taping a lollipop to each one. 

@ Carrie - my mom grew up in South America - her dad for an American company, but her experiences were a little different than if she were here, kwim? 

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options

I only remember getting ONE homemade valentine. I even remember the kid. I think his mom made them because he was poor (or so was my perception at the time). It was out of brown construction paper and lace. I remember thinking what the H3ll is this!?! Embarrassed

We always had store bought valentines, I would have NEVER thought of making my own. It just wasn't done.

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"