2nd Trimester
Options

panic attack during labor or delivery

Has anyone ever had a panick/anxiety attack during labor and delivery? If so, how did they handle it? My doctor told me that out of all his patients (he's delivered literally over 5,000 babies) who have had panic or anxiety disorders have never had an attack during labor or delivery.

Re: panic attack during labor or delivery

• Options
    I don't think I'll have one during L&D but I definitely scare myself a little when I think about the day I go into labor...just because its such an emotional day and my life is going to change forever. I'm also nervous because I am a huge planner/control freak with everything in life and this is one thing that I don't have any control over...
    Stephanie Ella ~ 6/15/2012
  • Options

I'm zero help in this area, but I'm glad you posted this.  I have anxiety attacks occasionally, although I have learned to control them.

I just keep telling myself that nothing bad is going to happen.... AND IF it does, you are in the right place.  There are teams of people there to insure the health and well being of you and your infant.

I also think there is something that they can give you if you start to panic.  I'm not entirely sure about that, but I have heard that some women were given something to help them to relax.... nothing that would hurt the baby though.... from what I understand.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I have panic/anxiety attacks all of the time. Generally take xanex for it.. Not now that I am pregnant though.

I had no anxiety or panick attack during labor with my son. I really thought I would.

~Those who do not believe in love at first sight have obviously never given birth~ <a href="http://s1082.photobucket.com/albums/j380/Caitlyn_Blake/?action=view
  • Options

I had a panic attack during labor with my DS. It started because after the epidural my blood pressure dropped. To get it back up they put another drug in my IV. This raised my blood pressure back up but caused a panic attack. 

I deal with my anxiety in two ways. When I begin to feel anxious I tell myself that this is the way people feel on roller coasters. It's my fight or flight reflex. I start to think about my favorite coaster, Rip Ride it Rock it, and how when on a coaster the feeling is fun. It helps me to relax and brings me back down.

Another way I deal with it is to think about walking into a room and confronting my anxiety like it's a person. I tell it that it's just trying to scare me and that it can't hurt me. I then visualize closing the door and leaving it behind.

Photobucket
    Husband and I are both carriers of Delta F508, one of the many mutations that cause Cystic Fibrosis. We pray for a cure.
    D-IUI #1 September 2011 ~ BFN D-IUI #2 October 2011 ~ BFP!
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    "Maybe you don't need the whole world to love you, ya know. Maybe you only need one person." Kermit the Frog
  • Options
    I was very freaked out pre-labor last time on the verge of panic attacks, but once i talked to my dr and had my birth plan and actually went into labor my body just relaxed and knew what to do.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"