Trying to Get Pregnant
Options

Lifting legs after...

I got an email from the bump the other night and read the section about lifting your legs after sex to keep the sperm pooled.  A guy I work with had mentioned this before because he and his wife do it every time.  I kept mine raised for about 5 minutes but got too into the tv show mobbed so I put them down.  Is this common practice? Sorry if it is common knowledge but DH laughed at me when i did it but I told him we might as well because this should be ovulation week (just got bcp, waiting for AF so I can really track!)

Re: Lifting legs after...

• Options

It's not really necessary...the healthy sperm are already well on their way to where there need to be :)

If you aren't prone to UTIs, it won't hurt anything...just know that some women develop a UTI after this practice.

Good luck!

08.2008 | Diagnosed with PCOS
    11.2011 | First appointment with RE
    12.2011 | HSG reveals 100% blockages in both tubes
    02.2012 | Laparoscopy & Hysteroscopy to unblock tubes...success!

{ BFP # 1 | April 1, 2012 }
    Jonah Alexander is here! Born 12.07.12 @ 39w3d

{ BFP # 2 | May 22, 2013 }
    Chemical Pregnancy :(

{ BFP # 3 | February 12, 2014 }
    So far, so good! We love you, little peanut!

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    imagehappilyeverafterxo:

It's not really necessary.

Good luck!

This.  There has been no research.studies showing that it has any benefits.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    imageslightlyslapdash:

It's not necessary. 

That is unless you really want to up your chances for a UTI...

This!  Best thing you can do while TTC is keep your genitourinary tract healthy, and the last thing you want to do is let post-sex bacteria sit in your vaginal canal.  Get up and pee!  You're (probably) going to be having more sex than normal, at least in the week of your fertile window.  That can cause irritation and swelling, which means the bacteria that naturally transfer during sex have a lot more opportunity.  UTIs are bad news and really bad for TTC!

The good, smart, swift sperm are already on their way.  Anything extra is just that--extra.  You have to remember we're talking in the hundreds of millions of sperm--and it only takes one! 

• Options

Thanks for the advice!  I don't think I'll try lifting again! 

• Options
    Not necessary unless you want a uti.
    After many years and tears our baby boy is finally here
    Born 11-6-10

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options

Yeah, ditto all PP's.. the "new to this board" section by the monitor says that you shouldn't do it for those reasons.

That said, I'm guilty of not disturbing our post-coital bliss by hopping up to pee. I guess I'm not the brightest bulb because when we were busy conceiving DD, I was even doing handstands just to amuse DH. :o)

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    imageChancieMark:

The day we conceived this last time I laid down and got up after 5 minutes. I don't think it's necessary. The smart sperm are already on their way...no reason to give the stupid ones false hope for making it there Stick out tongue 

Hahaha!!!  Awesome Chancie! 

"A man walking backwards does not see what lies ahead, only what he is leaving behind."

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    BFP #1-7/22/12 EDD: 4/8/13 It's a Boy!! Born 3/30/13
    BFP #2 2/3/14 EDD: 10/15/14 - My Chart

• Options
    Its already too late unless you want a UTI, then go ahead. 
    Daisypath - Personal pictureDaisypath Anniversary tickers Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie First Birthday tickers BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    OK, I hardly ever get up to pee after sex and I've never gotten a UTI.  Granted I don't prop my hips either, but just because you don't pee after sex doesn't mean you'll get a UTI
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    imageslightlyslapdash:

It's not necessary. 

This.

• Options
    imageslightlyslapdash:

It's not necessary. 

^^This. I have never had a UTI though, so I may have tried this once or twice Wink 

image image imageimageimage  

CFNBC after 8 losses and IF || History || My Angel Babies

• Options

imageKdgTeacher:
    OK, I hardly ever get up to pee after sex and I've never gotten a UTI.  Granted I don't prop my hips either, but just because you don't pee after sex doesn't mean you'll get a UTI

All of this.

TTC#1 Oct 2010
    DS born May 2013
    TFAS Feb 2016
    EDD 07/29/2017
  • Options

imageKdgTeacher:

I was just about to say the same thing. Maybe I've been lucky and I definitely don't want to jinx it, but I've been fine.

TTC #1 since Aug 2011
    Dx PCOS 2002...500mgs metformin
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    And I will add that I have had a few UTI's in the past several years although I never propped my hips....to each it's own. The is also some who say do not prop since it could cause the semen to pool around the outside of your cervix.
    photo b5880bbf-17e0-491c-8d1e-181ee8707670_zps6b0bf0b5.jpg Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    My BFP Chart
    Aug 19, 2010 ParaGuard IUD Removed
    Sept 7, 2010 Dx w/Hypothyroidism (TSH 6.7) Began taking Levothyroxine
    Feb 15, 2010 BFP with #1
    Nov 1, 2011 DD1 Born
  • Options
    Its not going to hurt anything.. do it if you want too. I do. And your not going to get a UTI from holding your hips up for a few mintues after sex...its just as if you were still having sex for a few more mintues, your more likely to get a UTI if you dont use the bathroom after lifting your legs up. Yes the bacteria is there but it will come shooting out of your urethra as soon as you urinate.
    BabyFruit Ticker BabyFetus Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"