Attachment Parenting
Options

WWYD--Music Class Problems??

My DS is 9.5 months old and LOVES to put EVERYTHING in his mouth, constantly.  He currently attends a music class with about 5 other kids and their parents in the class, and he is the youngest.  The class starts at 5 months old, but I would say most of the kids are around 2 years old, give or take.  We have been attending this class since September, and DS really seems to enjoy it.  For each song, the kids get different instruments (maracas, wooden rhythm sticks, rain sticks, bells, stuffed animals, etc.) The problem is that at the last class the teacher informed me that I couldn't let him put the instruments in his mouth.  My initial instinct was to tell her that for $200 per session my 9 month old could put whatever he wanted in his mouth...but I didn't.  I just asked her to not give him any instruments, and I quickly looked for something we had brought with for him to chew on (of course the only day I don't have a purse loaded with toys, so he ended up sucking on my keys for the rest of the class). 

Between each song she kept INSISTING that I let him get the new instrument, and forcibly make him do the correct movements with them (shaking, etc.) and that when he gets the thing into his mouth I should pull it out and yell "no."  I don't use the word "no" with my son unless he is doing something potentially dangerous (such as gets close to an uncovered electrical outlet, etc.), so I was not about to start yelling "no" at him during a recreational music class for which we are paying.  After about the third time, I let him take the maracas, and attempted to keep them out of his mouth.  After about 30 seconds, he was crying hysterically, arching his back to get out of my lap, turning red, etc.  I took the maracas away, gave him my keys back, and he was fine. 

I understand that people don't want a baby sucking on toys that their child will be handling, BUT this lady had assured everyone in the class, multiple times, that she is required to sanitize each instrument/toy used after every single class.  She even made sure to say "I mean they all get sanitized anyways, but..." after she told me in front of the other parents that I had to stop DS from putting the things in his mouth. 

My question is, what would you ladies do in this situation?  Should I take DS and just not let him use any of the instruments?  Should I ask for a refund?  Should I bring our own instruments with to the class and let DS use those?  We have almost everything that she uses in the class.  I don't know if I am being overly sensitive, but I think it was just her delivery that rubbed me the wrong way in this situation.  Thanks in advance for your advice!!

Re: WWYD--Music Class Problems??

• Options

We go to music class and the teacher reminds parents every lesson that babies put things in their mouths and that it is natural and age appropriate. She encourages parents not to stop their children if they put the instruments in their mouths. She provides wipes (I am not sure what kind), for parents to clean the instruments after the children have played with them. 

I am sorry that your instructor is so rigid. Can you talk to her about it after class, and offer to clean off the instruments your child mouths? 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I would talk to the instructor to see if you can use wipes to clean the instruments after he uses them.  If not, I would ask for a refund.
    www.minegoes2-11.blogspot.com

BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    That is RIDICULOUS.  I would ask for a refund.  That sounds like no fun for LO and awkward and stressful for you... not exactly something worth paying $200 for!
    Fortunate to be a SAHM to my 3 musketeers (5/2006, 5/2010 & 12/2011). Soy & dairy free for the 3rd and final time. Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers imageimage
  • Options
    WTF, has that instructor ever been around a baby??? She sounds awful. I would try to switch to a different class, and/or complain to her boss. She sucks.
    DS1 - Feb 2008

DS2 - Oct 2010 (my VBAC baby!)

• Options
    Completely ridiculous! DD has been taking Kindermusik classes since she was around 6 months old. Our teacher completely expected kids to put things in their mouths in the younger classes and wasn't upset with it at all. After each class she cleans and disinfects everything. I'd definitely ask for a refund and find another class whose teacher has more understanding of babies' development. It's completely age appropriate and not something to dissuade imo. Good luck!
    Me 38, DH 34 Missed M/C 10/08 at 10 weeks DD born 8/09, TTC#2 since Jan 2011 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

I go to music together and if a baby puts something in his/her mouth there is a "wet box" we put the instrument in so the instructor can clean it after class.  

I would continue to go and let your DS play with the instruments as any 9 month old would.  If he puts it in his mouth, so be it, just let the instructor know that he did so she can clean it.  

If she says something to you then I would remind her that he's 9 months old and teething.  He's going to put things in his mouth.  He's a baby.  Then I would tell her that she can start putting the clorox wipes to good use.  She would not get away with telling me how to raise my child. 

Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickersLilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options

I would ask for my money back or a prorated refund.  She sounds crazy and not worth it.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • Options

Thank you for all of your replies!  They really make me feel less crazy about my initial instinct to walk out of the class.  I think I might talk to her before class next week, and just bring my own instruments with for DS to use.  I might remind her that he is only 9 months old (he has been walking for a few weeks, so maybe she thinks he is older?)  I would love to just switch over to Kindermusik, but right now the baby class in our area is 7pm on Thursday nights, and the car ride home turns into LO taking a 20 minute nap right before he usually goes to bed and that just wasn't working in our schedule.

I just need to decide if it is worth even going anymore, now that I'm sure that she will have some harsh feelings about my unwillingness to tell my child what to do. (which seems actually comical since he is a baby)  

• Options

imagenosoup4u:
    WTF, has that instructor ever been around a baby??? She sounds awful. I would try to switch to a different class, and/or complain to her boss. She sucks.

Unfortunately, she is the "boss."  But, I so wish this were an option!

• Options
    imageMikesMom12345:

imagenosoup4u:

Unfortunately, she is the "boss."  But, I so wish this were an option!

Is she totally private, like just some lady with a music background who thought " Oh I'll make some money giving kids music classes, how hard can that be" or is she "trained" through a larger organization?  I know in addition to kindermusic there are some other similar music organizations.  I might check a little and if she is affiliated at all with anything I'd consider a quick, to the point email to the main organization.

• Options

We go to Music Together classes, and like PP said, it's totally ok for LO's to put the instruments in their mouths and not frowned upon at all. They just go into a special bin when LO is done with them. 

It's crazy to expect otherwise and I would ask for my money back or demand to use wipes or something. I also side-eye her telling you to tell him no. WTF? 

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"