Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months

Quick Question! Need Opinions PLEASE!!

Do you think that it is possible for an 18 month old to swallow a AA battery?

I was unloading the dishwasher, and DS got into a side cabinet and dropped a 2 AA atteries into the dishwasher before moving on to the next activity. I SWEAR that I made a mental note to ensure to get both batteries out before I started the load. Suddenly, DS appears behind me with 1 sticking out of his mouth, and I grab that, start looking for the other, and can't find it.

This all happened in less than 2 minutes. Neither DS and I ever left the kitchen. Do you think he could have swallowed it without me noticing? I mean, would you have likely choked before successsfully swallowing it?

Thoughts? I'm trying to convince myself that I don't need to freakout.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Quick Question! Need Opinions PLEASE!!

• Don't freak out. I highly doubt that LO would swallow a AA without you knowing. He would definitely choke on it. That's a big battery.

This AM DD put a long candle lighter in her mouth (she got it when I wasn't looking at her and had it in her mouth in secs flat). I know how quick they can be!

• I don't think that's possible either, especially without any coughing.  I don't see it being something that would go down easily.  Not sure though.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • If you still haven't found the other battery, then yes, I would be very worried.  I think it's possible for a toddler to swallow a battery, but I think you probably would've heard choking first.  If it were me, I would be calling a doctor or someone to get a professional opinion, because it can be very serious if he did swallow it.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • That's how I kinda feel: very unlikely to have happened considering the size of the battery and my proximity... BUT.... there's always the what ifs...

It was an alkaline AA, most stuff online says that if there's a battery to swallow, that's the kind. Right now, I think I'll just follow up with my pedi tomorrow.... Pending what DH says when he gets home from work later...

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I do think it's possible for a child to swallow a battery, but I agree that I'd think anyway they'd sorta have a hard time/choke getting it down. 

GL.... I would be worried too (not trying to scare, but your reaction is totally called for)  

• imageBeanie_mrt:

I'd be freaking out too, enough to go get him looked at / x-ray'ed.

Good luck!

This exactly.

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers photo
  • imagedmoreilly:
    imageBeanie_mrt:

I'd be freaking out too, enough to go get him looked at / x-ray'ed.

Good luck!

This exactly.

Yeah, I agree. I would keep frantically looking, while on the phone with our advice nurse.  GL!  Let us know if you find it!

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • I also think if he swallowed you, you would know about it.
  • I'd take the drain out of your dishwasher and look in it first.  Then I'd call the nurse line just in case.  It seems unlikely, but they say kids can swallow anything that can fit into a toilet paper tube!

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Second Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"