Postpartum Depression
Options

OCD post below got me thinking about some things!

I am apologizing in advance and prewarning that this turned out to be a lot longer than I had expected. 

I have not seen a therapist since I was 20, I am now 28.  At that time my Dr. placed me on anxiety medicine which I was on for about 1 year and that is it.  Not related really to what I am asking abou though.  I do have a point of posting it here. 

I know there are a lot of things that I do that seem like OCD.  But because I know nothing about OCD, I figured I would ask you ladies if it sounds like OCD.  At around 22 I started having this irrational fear of death.  So much so I try not to drive past cemetaries, I don't talk to my family about death, and the moment death gets mentioned I start crying.  I know this is going to sound crazy but I read Twilight and genuinely feel depressed because I am jealous that they get to live forever.

I go through boughts of thinking about death all day and typically think of it at least 2 times a day.  It has just gotten so much worse since DS was born.

I have a hard time most days because I have a lot of times that I come up with these scenarios in my mind where I end up hurting DS.  Not that I intentionally do any of it in my mind, all my thoughts are accidents that happen, but it's things like falling with him, forgetting he is in the bathtub and walking away, etc....  Oh wow I really do sound crazy.

Really this is only things in regards to the death issue I have.  Other things extend from there, stupid things that like I said do not know if they are related to OCD.  If I itch one spot on my arm, I have to itch the other arm in the same spot, but that only happens sometimes.  I check the front door multiple times to make sure it is still locked even though it was 5 minutes earlier.  I count a lot of different things, steps I take, taps of my feet in certain situations ( I will not even begin to tell you what, you really might think I am crazy, LOL)

I just posted about going to see a Dr. about a lot of other things, is this something I should tell me Dr., you know the details that I am posting here?  I mean I know I will talk about the death issue but about the other stuff like the counting, and stuff, should I tell them about that at the get go?

I know not PPD related but the post below made me think about asking all of you about this.

Thank you so much and you really deserve something for making it through the post.

**February 20th, 2010 I Married My Best Friend and June 5th, 2011 My Soulmate Was Born** image Lilypie First Birthday tickers imageimageimage

Re: OCD post below got me thinking about some things!

• Options
    Sounds very much like OCD to me. I would bring it up at your appointment for sure. I am the one who originally posted the OCD post. The obsessive is the images and thoughts that you replay and the compulsion is the counting and such. Their is medications, bothy ssri's and antianxieies that may help also seeing a therapist and talk  though everything really helps. 
  • Options

imageamandajb1:
    Sounds very much like OCD to me. I would bring it up at your appointment for sure. I am the one who originally posted the OCD post. The obsessive is the images and thoughts that you replay and the compulsion is the counting and such. Their is medications, bothy ssri's and antianxieies that may help also seeing a therapist and talk  though everything really helps. 

See this is my concern though, after talking to my sister today, whom had problems earlier in life (extreme depression), she was very understanding of everything.  Then I spoke to my bestfriend who is recommending that I refuse any meds and just talk to someone.  I'm not going to go in requesting meds but with how much of an impact it has on my life I would not refuse anythign that would help.  Her concern is that I will be on them and not be able to come off of them?  I mean is being on them longterm really that bad?  I don't mean to say it that way, but if they have me see a therapist along with meds, would that not be the right way to deal with it?

I know my other sister, who had a lot happen as a child (different mother and my father refused her), she has been on meds since she was 14, is now 31 and deals with things well. 

My bestfriend now has me nervous about the place I am going because they are government ran so they do have therapist but typically medicate as well.  Now she has me questioning if I even want to go.  Sorry to unload on you!

**February 20th, 2010 I Married My Best Friend and June 5th, 2011 My Soulmate Was Born** image Lilypie First Birthday tickers imageimageimage
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I would def go. I really woul d think it's a problem to be on med long term. You need to remember it is a disease like diabetes and you would not refuse medication for that would you?  I was told medication can be good in the beginning too while you are learning how to cope with your symptoms and them some people are able to come off when they have adaquate coping skills.  My therapist who is a nurse practitioner so she does sessions and medication all ways Demi ds me that I know me better than anyone and I feel not right and think I need medication than I should use it and the same if I feel like I don't the. I shouldn't. (of course you never just start and stop. I am talking long term after discussing it with her in sessions) 

I would go with your guy and not over think it. These people are professionals this is what they do. I hope you feel better soon. It's an awful feeling.  

• Options

Yes, sounds like OCD to me. I strongly recommend you see a psychiatrist, not your OB or general practitioner, for an evaluation and treatment recommendation.

OCD responds well to CBT (and not so well to other therapeutic approaches, like talk therapy) so it's important you see someone who is well versed in the disorder.

image Lucy, 12/27/2009
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    The place I am talking about going is a behavioral center so I am assuming they have people who handle CBT. Should I specifically ask then for that or see what they recommend first? Thank you so very much.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"