Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months
Options

Is it true the second child is worse than the first???

With everything?  Everyone I have talked to with 2 kids says that if you had #2 child first, you would have only had one child. Because they are worse teethers, sleepers, potty trainers, etc.? 

We have been some of the lucky ones who have had a fairly easy first child, and I find some days are rough, so I am really afraid to have another one and have it worse.......Ugh. We want a second, and I guess I just need to prepare myself to expect it to be worse, if that is usually the case.

But, would LOVE to hear stories of people who have 2 or more "easy" kids!

Re: Is it true the second child is worse than the first???

• Options
    If that's true I'm not having anymore, DD was a horrible newborn, HORRIBLE.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
     DS1 still is a handful.  DS2 is so easy going.  If i could guarantee another child like DS2 I would have more kids.  
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I've only got one baby so far, but my sister is on baby #3 and so far, #1 was the worst. #2 was an amazingly mellow baby. But everyone's got an anecdote, so you'll definitely hear both sides.
    I guess technically now I should be SecondBabyMomma Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Good to know it goes both ways......DD has been, overall, "easy". So, guess I will brace myself for the worst and be happy if the second is anything like DD.
  • Options
    My best friend's first is very high energy and demanding. Her second is the most laid-back baby, ever.
    DD1 (b. 8/16/2010)
    DD2 (b. 9/04/2013)
    BFP 2/25/12, m/c @ 6w 3d || BFP 8/1/12, m.m/c @ 9w5d
  • Options
    Mine were the exact opposite.  DS 1 - horrible nursers, eater, sleeper etc.  DS2 - amazing.  Slept 7 hours at night at 6 weeks, better nurser, eater etc.  DD (who was our 3rd) was even better.  Nursed amazing, slept 8 hours at almost 6 weeks.  So, for us, no, it was the opposite.  However, my 2nd labor was way worse then my first and my 3rd labor was the best by far. 
    Sawyer Quinn (09/06/06), Rory Keaton (04/07/08) and Kinsley Saffron (10/12/10). Forever and ever my babies they'll be. A rose can say "I love you",orchids can enthrall,but a weed bouquet in a chubby fist,yes, that says it all.~Author Unknown
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options

imageFirstBabyMomma:
    I've only got one baby so far, but my sister is on baby #3 and so far, #1 was the worst. #2 was an amazingly mellow baby. But everyone's got an anecdote, so you'll definitely hear both sides.

This almost exactly, except with my SIL.  Her first is very high needs.  Her second is almost one of the easiest babies I've ever seen.  Really the only time he will cry is if he is all out ravenously hungry.  Other than that, he just hangs out, plays with toys on his own, sleeps well, etc. 

• Options
    Haha I was just telling someone today that if I would have had #2 first, I don't know if he would have had a sibling, at least not as close in age. My first was a difficult newborn but once she was about 4 months, she totally mellowed out and still is easy. My second was an easy baby but is so ornery now! He still doesn't STTN. We were on a preschool field today (fire station YAY!) and one of the moms commented on how my second seemed like a handful. My DH says no way are we having a third after him! Although he is the most lovable, cuddly little guy when he wants to be.
  • Options
    I was just talking to my H about this yesterday b/c apparently everyone at his work is very worried about this baby's temperament since Micah is so easy going.  I pointed out that with only one you can attend to baby's needs so much easier.  Micah rarely ever cried.  We were lucky he didn't have colic, but he did have reflux.  However, if he cried, we picked him up.  Nothing was stopping us.  And it wasn't a problem to hold him and keep him upright after eating because we didn't have anything else to do.  He started off as a great sleeper, but then started waking once or twice a night (and still does several nights a week).  It was never really that big of a deal, though, because it's just him and we could usually get him down pretty quick.  Plus, we didn't have anyone else to take care of so if we were tired during the day, we could sleep (DH would take night duty when he didn't have to work the next day or could sleep in).  I think that has a lot to do with it, too.  We're trying not to go into this blind and know that this baby will have to wait a lot more than Micah did.  But I don't think just because he's our second guarantees that he's going to be a difficult baby.
  • Options
    My 1st was easy. My 2nd was easier.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers m/c 01-07-10
  • Options

I found the learning curb was roughest going from none to one. My second child was the easiest child, and I always considered my first the difficult one but I have been getting better and better, so it wasn't until I actually sat down and thought about it, that I realised #3 is my biggest handful and was waaaaay worse than ther other two were and they were considered "spirited." Alasdair doesn't sleep, doesn't eat anything but bm from an actual boob, can escape from his high chair/shopping carts, climbs everything, hates being put down or being put into a carrier... the list goes on and on, but he seems easier because I've gotten better at parenting them. Parenting is like any job; the longer you do it the better you are at dealing with them. KWIM?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options

I'm still pretty new to the 2 kids club but so far this isn't true for us. DD is great! She has actually been a lot easier than my son.

• Options
    DS2 was much easier as a newborn, but he's totally more active and crazy than DS1 was as a toddler.
    DS1 - Feb 2008

DS2 - Oct 2010 (my VBAC baby!)

• Options

Not true at all in my case. My son was a very difficult newborn, infant and toddler, and DD is literally the easiest child on earth.

• Options
    No way! #2 is so much easier then #1!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options

My mom said my sister was just bad for the first 3 months. Then she was super easy (I was apparently very easy).

My MIL said #1 was just okay. #2 (DH) was horrible and #3 and #4 were great.

• Options
    I only have one... but those I know with more than one #2 was always mellow and laid back.
  • Options

DD was no walk in the park, I keep telling this baby all the things he is welcome to do (and a few he can avoid). So far he's 10 times calmer in utero, I have my fingers crossed for good things. Not that I don't love DD's spirit, I just didn't so much love the never sleeping ever and the screaming if not held 24/7. She's much more fun now than she was that first year.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• Options
    I thought DD was an easy laid back baby... then we had DS, he is an ANGEL! He sleeps through everything because he's used to having DD around, he popped teeth as early as 5 months and to this day I don't remember him "teething, he is such a lovable laid back guy. My only complaint, boys climb! haha.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    For me, #1 was easy and #2 is difficult. #1 is real easygoing. #2 didn't have colic or anything like that, but he's just a much more aggressive personality. Everything is more dramatic with him. I'd still like a 3rd child, but some days I have doubts.
    Formerly known as ms.mittens Jude 12/31/2008 Ezra 2/10/2011 Nora 7/23/2013 Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

It's been true for us. I had worse m/s, she's always been a horrible sleeper, very clingy and lots of separation anxiety and was a fussy newborn. DD1 never had any of those problems. 

But I of course wouldn't change it for  the world, but adjusting to two kids was way harder for me then adjusting to having one kid. 

• Options
    I'm the second of 3 and my mom says that her first was terrible, I was super laid back and a really good girl, and the third was even sweeter and laid back.  If I have a second, It would be pretty difficult for him/her to be more demanding or high maintenance than my DD.  I love my DD, but she has always been a lot of work.
  • Options
    I am really hoping LO2 is easier than DS... it would be hard for a kid to be more difficult. DS has been very high needs since he was a newborn, and though it's slowly gotten better as he's gotten older, I can't imagine doing it all over with a second one. I'm hoping to at least get a more "average" baby this time. High needs is for the birds.
    We love our little guys!
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

I felt like adjusting to 2 was a lot harder than adjusting to 1.  You don't get to catch up on sleep, nap when the baby naps etc.  Dd has been "harder" than Ds.  I don't technically think she is a difficult baby, but she likes to stay up late and is overall very needy.  I think maybe its just being a girl, but she had quite the attitude already. Ds was just overall very easy and slept 12 hours from 1 month on, and never stopped.  Teething was never a issue with Ds either, molars were the only teeth that seemed to bother him.  Dd is popping her first tooth now, and OMG she is a beast!   

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    If DD1 was more like DD2 we would have had #2 sooner and if I could guarantee #3 would be the same, I would have 3rd. DD1 was colicky and has ADHD so she was/is a handful. DD2 is my smiley, easygoing girl.
    Child #1: 6 yo DD Child #2: 2yo DD
  • Options

My first was a very hard baby to deal with. Colic, trouble breastfeeding, jaundice, didn't sleep more than a few hours at a time until 5-6 months,constantly sick, terrible two's started at 10 months and all around high maintenance child. My second child is so easy going. She's a good eater, sleeper, very well behaved and mild mannered, and always in a good mood.

My mom says that it was the same with us kids. The first (me) was very difficuld, much like my first child. The second, my sister, was a good baby, aside from being a bit of a night owl. The third, my brother, was definately the last because he was the most difficult child, even worse than when i was a baby. Makes me scared to have a third! LOL

• Options

DS was much more difficult than DD.  He had terrible colic and screamed 4-5 hours non stop every evening for about 3 months.  It took us 3 months to sleep train him using the Ferber method.  All my friend would talk about how their kids cried 20-30 minutes the first few nights and then they were set.  He cried 3 hours every night for the first month (we went in every 20 minutes for 3 hours).  We didn't even want to CIO, but we tried every single sleep training method out there.  I finally just had to do it because I was getting nervous that my lack of sleep would affect my job performance (which in turn would affect many sick kids). We have been potty training for 8 months.  He's finally starting to get it.

DD slept 6 straight hours while we were still in the hospital and was sleeping 12 hours straight, not even waking to feed, by 1 month (she was a big baby and gained back her weight the first week) . Her sleep lessened at night as she got older, but we never had to sleep train her. 

But if your first was super easy, I guess the second may seem harder even if they're more on the "normal" spectrum. 

Image and video hosting by TinyPicLilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options

DD#1 was so easy for everything.  DD#2 is pretty easy, but has GERD and a milk protein allergy.  She is uncomfortable after eating, spits up 24/7, needs 2 different meds and expensive formula.  She is always happy though and has been sleeping 10+ hours at night since 4 weeks.

DH and I are the oldest in our families and our mom's said we were both easy babies.  My middle sister and DH's middle brother were both difficult babies that needed lots of attention.

photo a42489fa-98a3-436b-b31b-266d7d204e5d_zpsde5f201a.jpg
    my read shelf:
    Molly's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)Follow Me on Pinterest
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Anniversary
  • Options

This was not the case with my DS.  He is STILL a much better sleeper than my DD.  He was a "worse" teether, but with my DD, she'd wake up with new teeth and you'd be like, oh, cool.  She never had any symptoms.  My DS sometimes needed some Tylenol or something but that's about it.  

As for potty training, we're not there yet with my DS but I imagine it will be harder with him, mostly because he's a little boy!   

• Options
    I have heard this from my sister and a bunch of other people. However, like heckysue said, your child is going to be who they are going to be regardless of whether they are your first or second. My sister babies my nephew and so does my SIL. He is FOUR years old and she still calls him the baby! I wonder if that has anything to do with it. I still hope that I don't end up with a nightmare child when we have #2.
  • Options

I thought my first was such an "easy" baby until I had my 2nd.  My 2nd was much easier than my first.  #3 was rough because he had colic but after that he was an absolutely wonderful little boy - slept great, potty training, etc.  #4 and #5 are pretty easy going.  Sleeping has been rough with #5. 

I think every kid is different.  You have no idea what their personalities are going to be, and you have to decide if it's a risk you are willing to take.  You should be a better mom with #2 than you were with #1 because you have some experience.  It probably won't be easy but it's wort it.

• Options

The exact opposite for us.  DS1 has been our "problem" child.  I was so confident having #2 b/c I knew he HAD to be easier than #1.  He is. 

imageImage and video hosting by TinyPic AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options
    Not for me! My 2nd is an ANGEL!! And my 1st was EXTREMELY difficult. 
  • Options

Not true for us. Our DD was an easy baby, but our DS is even easier. He started STTN early on, but it was in his swing. At 5.5 months we started to transition him to his crib, and try to break him of swaddling. It was a breeze. We didn't have any issues!

He ditched the bottle at 8 months, and it took DD until 15 months. He was a really happy baby, and now he is a really happy toddler. He only throws fits when I don't get him his food fast enough. He listens and picks up his toys as soon as I ask. He clears his plate after eating, which I think is funny. The kids sit at a kids picnic table in our kitchen, and when he is done, he will throw his dishes in the sick and put any trash in the trash can. I love it!

Its making it really hard for me to stick to my original plan of only having 2.

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options
    imageheckysue:

Honestly I think you just remember the ones who say that more because well, it's most of us first-time-parents' nightmare.  I have paid more attention lately though, and there was someone on here just today (Gravy?) who said that she thought her first LO was laid back...until she had her second, who was even easier.

You do hear that.  You just don't notice.

Your kid is going to be who they are.  Could be harder or easier.  You get to decide if you're willing to roll the dice.  Or not.

But I'm right there with you in the FEAR that it will be harder the second time around.

I think it's also human nature for people who experience a more difficult child the second go-round to "warn" those who seem to have a relatively easy experience with their first.

• Options
    I'm a second child and my mom still talks about how easy I was as a baby and a toddler and how I almost never cried... so...
    There are no blurred lines, only jail time

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

my blog: Inspirationseeker.blogspot.com
  • Options
    I sure hope not...my son was a hot mess and we debate everyday if we ever want to go through that awful experience ever again?!?!  I always say to my DH that God would not do it to us twice, so I am praying our second one is our "good" one.  lol
    PPD/PPA Mom...it has been super hard, but I'm making it! Slow steps...
    Mom to Carter (6), and Calianne (1).  
    Proud VBAC, natural birth, breastfeeding, cloth diapering momma!

• Options
    imageItsAllGravy7:
    imageChrissieW3:
    imageheckysue:

Honestly I think you just remember the ones who say that more because well, it's most of us first-time-parents' nightmare.  I have paid more attention lately though, and there was someone on here just today (Gravy?) who said that she thought her first LO was laid back...until she had her second, who was even easier.

You do hear that.  You just don't notice.

Your kid is going to be who they are.  Could be harder or easier.  You get to decide if you're willing to roll the dice.  Or not.

But I'm right there with you in the FEAR that it will be harder the second time around.

I think it's also human nature for people who experience a more difficult child the second go-round to "warn" those who seem to have a relatively easy experience with their first.

Seems more like pissing on their fuuucking parade than "warning". I don't think anyone honestly believes parenting is a cake walk. "warning" someone = you went through hell and you hope they go through it too lol.

Yeah, exactly.

I posted and then thought, "That is way too nice."

I often think that people just want others to experience their misery.

• Options

DS2 is a lot easier than DS1. I think a lot of it is simply the fact that he loves to watch DS1, so he's always somewhat entertained.

I think the age differences between the children can also play a large part in this.

• Options

DS1 was the most easy going baby EVER.  He didn't care if he was being held or by whom, or if he was on the floor, or in his swing.  He STTN at an early age, but I can't remember how old specifically.  He very rarely cried.  Now, he's almost 3 years old and a holy terror! 

DS2 was a little more difficult as an infant.  He had reflux and was pretty colicky for the first 3ish months.  Now he's the happier of the 2.  He's a lot more whiney, but I think that's more because he doesn't have a lot of words yet so he can't really tell us what he wants.  I'd say they switched it up on me pretty good.

Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"