Detroit Babies
Options

toddler or twin bed?

Hello ladies! 

My lovebug is 18 months old- she is still in her crib. She has been a good sleeper- and her crib drops really low and she does not try to climb out of it. Our pediatrician told us its toddler bed time. We purchased out convertible crib for Babies r us and we were a little dis satisfied to find out upon opening the crib the transition rails and toddler rail did not come with the crib. So we thought oh well, when the time comes I will just order the railing. Well babies r us also failed to mention to us that the railing takes 12 weeks to ship. I should add our little one has always been in the 98th percentille for height and is tall like dh. So at this point- since it is going to take 3 months to ship- Im wondering if it would make more sense to keep her in the crib for a little and then put her into a low profile twin sized bed with the guard rails on the side. What are your thoughts? please share =)

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: toddler or twin bed?

• Options

First- why is your pediatrician pushing moving her to a toddler bed?  18 months is still young, especially if she isn't trying to climb out.  I'd just keep her in her crib until you need to. 

Are you intending for her crib to be her regular bed or do you think you'll have another baby at some point?  If you're using the crib as her bed, then i'd just get the conversion kit and convert as necessary.  If you'd like to save the crib for the future, then I'd just get a regular bed and put guard rails.  If you're spending money on a brand new bed, might as well get something that'll last for a long time.  Toddler beds pretty much mean you have to buy yet another bed in the future. 

• Options

Thanks for your input. Well, I asked them that same very question. His response is because she is soo tall for her age he is concerned it might be a safety concern of her being able to fall out of it. Naturally, I do not think he realizes that our crib drops lower than alot of the other cribs on the market. 

Yes there is a chance we might want another child sometime down the road. I think I agree with the whole upgrading her to a new bed all together when the time is right. Which is good because I still have time to look for one. I dont recall ever having a toddler bed when I was a kid lol but times have changed so I was not sure if this was something that is not done until they are waaaay older. lol

I m just afraid to waste money and order this toddler railing to the crib and by the time it comes in, 3 months later, her be too tall to even fit in the crib lol

Height wise right now at 18 months she is taller than my friends little girl who is going to be 3 lol 

• Loading the player...
  • Options

We ordered our rails about a month before my DS was born just in case our crib was discontinued.  They arrived in a week.  Not sure why they are telling you 12 weeks.  My son is tall for his age as well and my pedi has never pushed for us to move him into a toddler bed or his full sized bed.  He's 20mo next week and still in his crib.

Gabriel Joseph 6/13/2010
    BFP#2: 8/14/11 M/C 8/30/11 6w1d
    BFP #3: 10/26/11
    Beta #1 @11dpo: 22 Beta #2 @13dpo: 90 Beta #3 @17dpo: 480
    Missed m/c 12w3d 12/28/11, d&c 12/30/11
    dx Homozygous C677T MTHFR image image
  • Options

Yeah every pediatrician is different. We love our pediatrician but it does not mean he calls the shots around here haha. 

the crib is being discontinued - honestly this is the one thing that kind of slipped our mind when we bought it-they were not very helpful and I wish I was informed ahead of time- that this could happen and that I might want to consider purchasing these additional items. If I could do it all over again I would have put more thought into the toddler bed part of it- but I did not think it was going to be an issue. Dh & I have decided that until we try to even see her pull herself up out of there even trying to think about climbing out-we will switch the bed. I have seen standard ones sold that will fit the crib. I just wanted the one that matched lol  

• Options
    Just a thought, you can get toddler beds at Target for like $50.  Ikea has some really cheap as well for the interim. 
    Gabriel Joseph 6/13/2010
    BFP#2: 8/14/11 M/C 8/30/11 6w1d
    BFP #3: 10/26/11
    Beta #1 @11dpo: 22 Beta #2 @13dpo: 90 Beta #3 @17dpo: 480
    Missed m/c 12w3d 12/28/11, d&c 12/30/11
    dx Homozygous C677T MTHFR image image
  • Options

I really don't think you'll have a problem with her height.  Doesn't the conversion kit include everything to make it a toddler bed and then a queen size bed?  So if she does end up being too tall, you can just make it a queen size bed.  She's at the age that the crazy growth will start to slow down, so I'd be surprised if her height really is a problem.  My oldest is 3-1/2 and has always been near the high end of the scale for his height and I have no doubt he could still fit into a toddler bed.  We have him in a regular twin size bed and I'd say he only uses half the length of the twin size bed.  Normally he curls up, so it's even less.

• Options
    I would definitely keep your little one in her crib until she does start to pull herself up...We moved our daughter into her toddler bed just a few months ago and she was nearing two but that was because we caught her climbing the rails one night...She did not want to go to sleep and then we heard her coming out of her room and thought, "Now it is definitely time for her toddler bed.." Then when you switch be prepared for them coming out of their beds...LOL!!
  • Options

No its really ridiculous everything is sold seperatly. The 2 wooden rails to convert to a queen are an additional $200. I guess I guess this is one of those shame on me things. I just assumed for as much money as we spent all this was included. Yes. hard to tell!.... she was born 21 1/2 inchest long and DH is 6 foot 3. but she could end up slowing down and taking after me lol who knows!

but thx for all your suggestions =) 

• Options
    thanks for the suggestion! Oh my! haha...... yes thats why I am in no hurry to put her in a toddler bed. lol I feel as if we are lucky enough she is sleeping great - why mess with that if we dont need to just yet? lol
  • Options
    imagekenleysmommy081010:

No its really ridiculous everything is sold seperatly. The 2 wooden rails to convert to a queen are an additional $200. I guess I guess this is one of those shame on me things. I just assumed for as much money as we spent all this was included. Yes.

Don't feel bad- I initially thought everything was included as well.  Especially since the rails really aren't anything special.  There's no reason they should be that expensive.

• Options
    thanks! Oh I know - ours are just two long pieces of white wood. haha
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"