Nurseries and Baby Gear

which strollers can be converted to a double?

This will be our first baby, but we will probably have another within a couple years.  Are there any strollers out there that you can as a single stroller and then later turn it into a double?  I like the britax b agile and the citi mini, but I'd like to research any that can be turned into double strollers....

Re: which strollers can be converted to a double?

• There are a few, which I'll list below, but my two cents on this is that I haven't found a single that works really well as a single AND really well as a double. I did a lot of research when we had our first and came to the conclusion that the best deal is to buy a compact single (like the city mini) and then get a compact double (like the city mini double) when the time comes for another child. You can always sell the single stroller if you need to use the money to go toward the double. Strollers like the city mini retain their value and can be sold used at a price pretty close to what you paid for them.

Here are a few that convert to a double, but there are a couple of downsides to each of them. All are pretty expensive and don't have everything I would look for in a double. My favorites out of these are the first two because they have good options for holding both an infant carseat and a toddler at the same time. My experience with the first two is that they don't work quite as well when you move out of the baby stage with your second child. I still think a city mini double outperforms all 4 of these single to double conversion strollers.

1. Baby Jogger City Select

cons= more expensive than buying both a single and double stroller if you count all the accessories you have to add on to have a fully functioning stroller, large for use as a single, aggravating to fold with 2 seats attached unless both are facing the same way

2. Britax B-Ready

cons=  Second seat attaches to back of stroller and is almost on the ground, child in second seat can reach spinning rear wheels which is dangerous in my opinion

3. UppaBaby Vista (with rumble seat)

cons =  The rumble seat does not recline, when rumble seat is attached the second child's feet must rest in the storage basket, handling and steering the stroller is difficult with weight of child in rumble seat

4. Bugaboo donkey

cons = $1200 (need I say more? haha), heavy

5. Phil and Teds stroller with doubles kit

cons = Second seat sits very low and level with a cargo basket, no options for carrying infant seat for second child

There are also quite a few inexpensive double only strollers that have a lot of good features like a large cargo basket, cup holders and parent tray for moms, and features that that toddlers like such as trays, seats that fully recline (which most moms agree that the purpose of a double stroller is often to allow kids the chance to nap, so the reclining comfy seats are really important). I think its better to wait and see what you like/want in a double and get one when you need it.

• Thank you so much! Sounds like I should probably just get a stroller and then upgrade to a double (that is made as a double) when that time comes!
  • Loading the player...
  • imageHeyJune:

There are a few, which I'll list below, but my two cents on this is that I haven't found a single that works really well as a single AND really well as a double. I did a lot of research when we had our first and came to the conclusion that the best deal is to buy a compact single (like the city mini) and then get a compact double (like the city mini double) when the time comes for another child. You can always sell the single stroller if you need to use the money to go toward the double. Strollers like the city mini retain their value and can be sold used at a price pretty close to what you paid for them.

Here are a few that convert to a double, but there are a couple of downsides to each of them. All are pretty expensive and don't have everything I would look for in a double. My favorites out of these are the first two because they have good options for holding both an infant carseat and a toddler at the same time. My experience with the first two is that they don't work quite as well when you move out of the baby stage with your second child. I still think a city mini double outperforms all 4 of these single to double conversion strollers.

1. Baby Jogger City Elite

cons= more expensive than buying both a single and double stroller if you count all the accessories you have to add on to have a fully functioning stroller, large for use as a single, aggravating to fold with 2 seats attached unless both are facing the same way

2. Britax B-Ready

cons=  Second seat attaches to back of stroller and is almost on the ground, child in second seat can reach spinning rear wheels which is dangerous in my opinion

cons =  The rumble seat does not recline, when rumble seat is attached the second child's feet must rest in the storage basket, handling and steering the stroller is difficult with weight of child in rumble seat

4. Bugaboo donkey

cons = Second seat sits very low and level with a cargo basket, no options for carrying infant seat for second child

There are also quite a few inexpensive double only strollers that have a lot of good features like a large cargo basket, cup holders and parent tray for moms, and features that that toddlers like such as trays, seats that fully recline (which most moms agree that the purpose of a double stroller is often to allow kids the chance to nap, so the reclining comfy seats are really important). I think its better to wait and see what you like/want in a double and get one when you need it.

I'm pretty sure you mean the Baby Jogger City Select.  As far as folding, I just take off the seat (we are currently using it as a single since #2 isn't here yet).  I do this because it's easier for me and my huge belly to take off the seat and fold the frame (which basically folds flat) and then lay the seat on top of the stroller.  I have a deep trunk and we push the stroller to the back so we can get other things in the trunk.  Also the salesman at the furniture store we bought it at stated that at least one seat needs to come off to fold the stroller.  It's not that big of a deal for us because even taking off the seat it still takes about the same time for the fold and put in the trunk as our single Graco Quattro Tour (plus the CS is much easier to get in the trunk than the Graco ever was and we have a very large trunk for our large sedan).

Sorry no paragraphs, bumping from my phone.
    I once had a picture until the trolls showed up.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    TTC #1 7/08 PCOS dx 8/28/04 Met 1000 mg and Clomid cycles 1-4 1/6/09-5/2/09 BFN
    Clomid 100mg 6/4/09=O'd=BFP on 6/29/09! Beta@14DPO 70.8 Beta@16DPO 152. EDD 3/7/10.
    First u/s on 7/13/09 @6w0d heard and saw heartbeat 102 bpm.
    K M #1 arrived via c/s 3/1/10 10 lbs, 22 inches long at 39 weeks.

Surprise expecting #2. Med-free BFP on 8/1/11! Beta@15DPO 58.2 Beta@17DPO 198.3 Beta@23DPO 2338. EDD 4/9/12
    K M #2 arrived via c/s 3/19/12 9 lbs 2 oz, 21 inches long at 37 weeks.
    "If we weren't all crazy we would go insane."
  • imagekkfeb04:
    imageHeyJune:

There are a few, which I'll list below, but my two cents on this is that I haven't found a single that works really well as a single AND really well as a double. I did a lot of research when we had our first and came to the conclusion that the best deal is to buy a compact single (like the city mini) and then get a compact double (like the city mini double) when the time comes for another child. You can always sell the single stroller if you need to use the money to go toward the double. Strollers like the city mini retain their value and can be sold used at a price pretty close to what you paid for them.

1. Baby Jogger City Elite

2. Britax B-Ready

4. Bugaboo donkey

I'm pretty sure you mean the Baby Jogger City Select. 

Yep, just edited to fix that. For some reason, I always want to call it the Elite.

• They may all be more expensive than buying a single and then a double (if you are going with less expensive strollers), but the tandems listed all handle far better than say the Graco Duoglider. I'd rather want to take my stroller for a walk than have to fight to push it, curse when it won't turn and grumble when it doesn't fold any smaller.

I highly recommend trying all these strollers out before making an expensive Phil and Ted's Sport. Had the City Select been around, I would have went with either. Or the new P & T's Promenade. The Donkey is NMSAA. The Britax is just okay. I would also gladly back over my SIL's Duoglider again (okay, I didn't, MIL did, on purpose).

• imageHeyJune:

2. Britax B-Ready

4. Bugaboo donkey

good post....stay away from the b-ready....we are City Select owners...has my vote!

Natalia
    Konstantino
    Maximo
    image Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    FOLLOW ME ON PINTEREST https://pinterest.com/raffaella1030/
  • Hey idk if this will help you but we converted our single stroller to a double stroller: https://hubbard2010.wordpress.com/2013/10/11/convert-a-single-stroller-to-double-stroller/
  • Thank you so much! Sounds like I should probably just get a stroller and then upgrade to a double (that is made as a double) when that time comes!
    Definitely.  And also, the B-Ready is awesome.  I tried a City Select and you cannot curb pop that thing with a heavy kid in front.  Still, I think it's better to buy for what you have and you can always sell and upgrade to a double later. 
    image   image
    We were 2 under 2, now 3 under 3!
    Team Green turned Team Pink with #1, Team Green turned Team Blue with #2, Team Green turned Team Pink again with #3
  • HeyJune said:

2. Britax B-Ready

4. Bugaboo donkey

There are also quite a few inexpensive double only strollers that have a lot of good
    features like a large cargo basket, cup holders and parent tray for moms, and features that that toddlers like such as trays, seats that fully recline (which most moms agree that the purpose of a double stroller is often to allow kids the chance to nap, so the reclining comfy seats are really important). I think its better to wait and see what you like/want in a double and get one when you need it.
    </</p>

The newest model out from Phil and Teds allows for a second infant seat . It goes where the double seat would normally go . I have a Phil and teds and even though the low doubles seat has never been an issue with a kid sitting in it there's little cargo space. We bought saddle bags for this purpose.

• I just got an UppaBaby vista.  It's my 20th stroller, so I have my fare share of experience in this department ;)  So, Uppbaby Vista with rumble seat.  I LOVE it.  I have NO problem pushing it with my 2 30lbs children in it..one in the seat and one in the rumble seat.  Yes, there are feet in the basket compartment (the rumble seat comes with a section for the basket so dirty shoes never touch your cargo) but it's really big so you can still fit quite a bit in it.  My boys love the stroller and fight over who sits where lol.  But honestly, if you are looking for a perfect single stroller that can then be converted, I would highly recommend the Vista.  When your 2nd child comes along you can decide at that time if you need a dedicated double (if they are going to be really close in age and still young enough to be napping in stroller and need 2x full recline etc., at which point you could sell your Vista to put towards the double..recommend the City Mini GT double.. or if they are far enough apart that you want a dedicated single with options to convert to a sometimes double (rumble seat or hitch hiker style board..which I also have and LOVE!).  That sounds confusing, but hope it's clear enough lol.  My Two Cents (from a self admitted stroller addict).
  • We got the b ready for exactly that reason. It's a lot larger than a normal single stroller, but as we plan on having #2 within the next few years I wanted to get something we could grow with.
  • Love my contours optima!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"