Working Moms
Options

Do you send BM and formula?

I am having trouble keeping up with DC demand.  I need to make over 18oz/day to break even and the freezer stash is dwindling.  I was thinking of introducing formula, just enough to get him through the day.  Do you mix the prepared formula with BM or do you give it alone?  Did you DC react ok to this switch?  Should I wait for the weekend to try this?  I hate the thought of this but I don't have anymore time in my work day to pump and pumping before bed doesn't yield much.  Your suggestions are greatly appreciated!!

Re: Do you send BM and formula?

• Options
    I'm sorry- I know it's frustrating when DC's demand is higher. I mixed the formula and then added it to the bottle w/ BM. That way I was confident that her bottles were filled. DD never minded or had a problem. I also kept powdered formula at daycare just in case. GL!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I had trouble keeping up with demand and working too. ?I started by mixing about 1-2 oz of formula with BM to top off the bottles. Now DD gets all formula at daycare and will BF in the morning and evening. ?It actually works out well. DD did not have any reaction to the switch.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    When I started having major supply issues I took a can of formula to day care just in case. On the occasion that they had to use it they would give her the breastmilk first and then if she was still hungry they would fix her a bottle of formula. But it can be mixed with the breast milk. I have done this at home a few times when she went through a growth spurt and was taking 2-4 ounces more at each feeding. I would mix the formula and water first and then add the breast milk to it. She takes it either way just fine.
  • Options

When this happened to me and DD, I would send two bottles of BM and one of formula.  As time went on, it became 1 bm, 2 formula.  I never mixed them b/c I wanted to know that she drank all the BM first and then drank the formula. Also BM lasts longer in the fridge by itself, if you mixed it with formula, I wouldn't feel safe that it would retain its bm storage capabilities.  I would try giving your dc a bottle of formula to see if they will drink it and make sure they don't have any allergic rxns before I sent one to daycare that first time. When she first started drinking formula bottles, my DD didn't like me feeding her bottle of formula, she knew it wasn't the right taste coming from me.  You may want DH to feed it to him/her if he/she is resistant to the taste.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"