Parenting after 35
Options

NP35R. I need to vent and this probably makes no sense and long

Ive had back problems most of my life. Starting when I was 16 and got in a huge car accident and downhill from there since I'm a nurse. Well the last 4wks I've been getting the "work up" for surgery. I had an EMG/NCS of my upper and lower extremities. Aka muscle and nerve testing aka they zap me with electricity to test my muscles then stick needles in me to test the nerve response. Each section took two hours. Two separate occasions. My pain doc is amazing while he Did the testing himself instead of his nurse and talked to me the whole time both times. But dammit that *** hurt. Each time he couldn't get a response he would increase the amplitude to make sure of his finding. I was crying by the end of both sessions. He was very apologetic about hurting me but as he said it is my back he has to be careful. The results aren't great. I obviously need surgery in my neck and lumbar/sacral spine. For right now. I'm going to settle for epidural steroid injections and try to lose some weight. I was up all night last night in pain and spasms despite taking some very strong narcotics and muscle relaxers.(which by the way he gave me a HUGE prescription. 120 pills! I better keep my purse close cuz that shiz is worth money. Crazy doctor.) I think it's because of the testing yesterday. Sorry for the lack of formatting I'm on my iPad How am I supposed to run after a toddler if I have surgery. I can barely run after him now Thanks for reading
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: NP35R. I need to vent and this probably makes no sense and long

• Options

Oh hun.. I'm sorry!

I also have back problems and I'm sure if I lost weight it would do a world of good, too.  I wrenched something the other day lifting my 25 pound lug.. so I've been self-medicating with Advil ever since.  Plus, I have big boobs and those monsters don't help, either.

What would be the recovery time?  I know people who've had these kinds of surgeries and they were back on their feet fairly quickly. 

In the long run, maybe a few weeks of inconvenience is worth the ability to lift your child without pain again.  You can always look into hiring a temporary sitter/nanny who can help you out during the recovery.  Heck, some insurance companies will even pay for that stuff.

• Options
    So sorry you are going through this. Surgery is serious. You should get some help with your little guy when you have it. During and after. Is there any family you can call on to help? Otherwise BrideBuddies is right. You should look into your insurance policy and see about reimbursement for childcare. GL!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

Oh you poor thing :(

I have chronic back problems but have no advice since I've never really been treated, I just wanted to say how sorry I am.

• Options
    First I am so sorry that you are going through this. I have had back surgery and if it helps any I am doing really well and in fact had another baby last year.  My surgery was 6 years ago.  I kept hurting myself for the first three years, but then I hit a groove and started to get stronger.  I am still very careful, but I have my life back.    Please reach out if you would like to ask any questions.  I am not on the bump too often, but I will look out in case you want to ask anything.. I wish you all the best.  Be well.
  • Options
    imageKerryHS:
    First I am so sorry that you are going through this. I have had back surgery and if it helps any I am doing really well and in fact had another baby last year.  My surgery was 6 years ago.  I kept hurting myself for the first three years, but then I hit a groove and started to get stronger.  I am still very careful, but I have my life back.    Please reach out if you would like to ask any questions.  I am not on the bump too often, but I will look out in case you want to ask anything.. I wish you all the best.  Be well.
    Kerry what did you have done
  • Options

imagersrn02:
    imageKerryHS:

I  had a laminectomy-L4, L5

• Options

I had that test in my arm and remember it well. It's insanely painful and I'll probably tear up thinking about it. I did have to have surgery though and it was a long and painful road with months of rehab and the like. 

Im sorry your back is so bad. Hopefully they can control the pain. I most likely have a torn rotator cuff and need to find some pain mgmt for that.

• Options
    imageKerryHS:

imagersrn02:
    imageKerryHS:

I  had a laminectomy-L4, L5

Did you try the epidurals first.  

I will eventually need a fusion of C5, C6, & C7  as well as L5-S1

Everytime I go to the gym and do any weight bearing exercise like the treadmill or elliptical. All I hear is crunch crunch in my neck and shooting pain down my legs.  It's just gotten worse since being pregnant.  So I'm at a loss what to do 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"