Upstate NY Babies
Options

Can we talk about this? (Susan G. Koman vs. PP)

https://abcnews.go.com/blogs/health/2012/02/01/breast-cancer-charity-giant-cuts-ties-to-planned-parenthood/ 

I am have some work to get done but I will be back to comment in a bit!

Full disclosure: I am NOT happy about this at all.

DD1: 3/31/10 DD2: 9/7/11

Re: Can we talk about this? (Susan G. Koman vs. PP)

• Options

I think they were pushed into a corner on this one.  There are a lot of people who are very against the Susan G Koman organization because of their affiliation with Planned Parenthood.  I wouldn't know anything about it if people didn't feel so strongly as to protest on coupon sites and grocery store sites about refusing to buy/shop at stores carrying products that support the Susan G Koman org.  Of course it is based on a lot of misunderstanding limited information, but I was amazed at the number of people who are very outspoken about it.

• Options

I am not happy about it, and I do wonder what the motivation behind the decision came from. I was listening to the president of SGK as she was interviewed on NBC last night, and she seemed to be talking without saying much of anything.

I don't think I'd go so far as to not support SGK because they do happen to do wonderful things for women and cancer research, but I would be more apt to pay more attention to the companies who are rallying and making up the difference in funds that should have been given to PP.

• Loading the player...
  • Options

I could write a book on this. But it's pretty simple when you think about it. Businesses cater to the people that are giving them money. Poor people are not donating to Komen, therefore they have no moral obligation to help poor people. Done.

I have given money to Komen in the past - I have lost a dear, dear friend to Breast Cancer. I sat with her in Roswell and the Cleveland Clinic and listened to her doctors give her bad report after bad report. The highlight of her year was the Race for the Cure...going to that race is so surreal and I would be sad if that ended. So I can't ever hate Komen.

I'm sure that Planned Parenthood will replace the funds with all the press coverage on this story. I hope they do because they serve such an important role in our communities.

I hope that Komen uses that money to support free breast screenings elsewhere.

Just another intance of Republican conservatives shitting on the poor in this country.

• Options

It is articles like

This

This

This

• Options

I have given money to SGK in the past.  My Grandma is a breast cancer survivor as are 2 dear women in my life.  I completely understand that they don't want to support agencies who are under investigation, but when PP was brought under inventigation for spending federal monies on abortions in September, they complied with the demands and that aligation was unfounded.  Their federal support goes towards well woman services, including breast cancer screenings.

PP provides so many wonderful services to women in need and for them to be under attack is unfortunate.  This seems to have turned into a battle against PP and I wouldn't be shocked at all to find out that it was a political move. 

This just get me so riled up b/c it's friggin' 2012 and I feel like we're still constantly fighting for women's rights and we're fighting against old, conservative men with money who are the farthest thing from the demographic that PP supports.

I'm so glad that people have stepped up and donated money to PP and I hope that continues.  I will be donating today and I'm actually thinking about volunteering at my local agency. 

I hope this does not start a debate, that's NOT my puropse.  I just like hearing from you guys about stuff like this.

ETA: Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't even think PP provides abortions.  I think they just give referrals to local doctors who will perform them.

Pro-Life or Pro-Choice, I don't care, I'm just so sick of the government trying to control what women can and can't do with their own bodies.

DD1: 3/31/10 DD2: 9/7/11
  • Options
    imageTinaL99:

ETA: Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't even think PP provides abortions.  I think they just give referrals to local doctors who will perform them.

Pro-Life or Pro-Choice, I don't care, I'm just so sick of the government trying to control what women can and can't do with their own bodies.

It depends on your state. Massachusetts Planned Parenthood does do abortions. I would guess basing on what I've heard, NY doesn't? But I thought the PP here in Syracuse does.

And your bottom comment, Tina, I'm in complete agreement with you.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image
  • Options

Well that's the thing. It's not just conservative old men - it seems that way because they are the lawmakers on the news. It's almost ALL Catholics, Baptists, Mormons, etc. Men AND women. The few male figureheads ARE speaking for the majority of the country. But just because they are the majority doesn't make it *right* ...because they are also against gay marriage and other things that plain old educated, common sense people think should be a given.

The thing with Planned Parenthood is that they are NEVER going to have more than 50% of the country's support. Half the country is never going to be OK with abortion. Rich people are typically republican because they get to keep more of their money that way. The majority of republicans are religious and uneducated (sorry, it's fact. I didn't say ALL...so don't get pissed at me.) and only "go with the flow" of their church's stance on things and what the republican figureheads preach to them. HOW ON EARTH the SUPER rich became in charge of the average joe...I have no idea. They try to screw the average joe every change they get - but the average joe is too uneducated to even realize it. They don't even realize that someone like Mitt Romney pays 14% in taxes while they pay 30-40%. I mean, it doesn't take a college degree to realize that's unfair and someone like THAT isn't really a good representative for them, for anyone that isn't super rich - ya know?

I should probably stop...

• Options

imageTinaL99:
      This seems to have turned into a battle against PP and I wouldn't be shocked at all to find out that it was a political move.

Of course it's political, Karen Handel is involved.  Anyone who runs for governor on an anti-PP platform can't suddenly make policy decisions (she is VP of Public Policy) without political leanings.  

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    imageTwo*True:

imageTinaL99:
      This seems to have turned into a battle against PP and I wouldn't be shocked at all to find out that it was a political move.

Of course it's political, Karen Handel is involved.  Anyone who runs for governor on an anti-PP platform can't suddenly make policy decisions (she is VP of Public Policy) without political leanings.  

Exactly. So PP should go on their media tour and they will earn far more in funds from other sources. She probably did them a favor!

• Options
    imageTelyco:
    imageTwo*True:

imageTinaL99:

Exactly. So PP should go on their media tour and they will earn far more in funds from other sources. She probably did them a favor!

In the short run yes, the will make more. They've already acknowledged over $400K in donations since this story broke.  However, I would be surprised if that were sustainable every year.  Making up for a $700K (figures seem to vary from $600K-$1M) grant year after year is not easy.

• Options
    I know i am in the minority in my stance on abortion, so I will speak up as the one person who thinks SGK is not wrong. I believe that every organization has the right to donate money to whoever they want and if you don't believe in how hey spend their money, then you have a right not to donate to that organization. Luckily we live in a free (enough) country where we have that right. I also think you are all entitled to your opinions and am not flaming anyone, just as I hope you'll all be nice to me even as we have a healthy debate :). FWIW, I recently went to PP with a 16 yr old who is pregnant for the second time and considering her options. I did not want her to abort, but I don't love her because she always makes good choices, and I can definitely see why she would want to abort. And the protesters outside of PP made me feel like scum and i think they do a huge disservice to the name of Christianity.
  • Options
    imageemiliemetcalf:
    I know i am in the minority in my stance on abortion, so I will speak up as the one person who thinks SGK is not wrong. I believe that every organization has the right to donate money to whoever they want and if you don't believe in how hey spend their money, then you have a right not to donate to that organization. Luckily we live in a free (enough) country where we have that right. I also think you are all entitled to your opinions and am not flaming anyone, just as I hope you'll all be nice to me even as we have a healthy debate :). FWIW, I recently went to PP with a 16 yr old who is pregnant for the second time and considering her options. I did not want her to abort, but I don't love her because she always makes good choices, and I can definitely see why she would want to abort. And the protesters outside of PP made me feel like scum and i think they do a huge disservice to the name of Christianity.
    You are not the only one of this opinion. I think they are making a wise decision. There are plenty of other avenues for them to support local organizations that are in line with their cause and beliefs without aligning themselves with an organization like PP, that provides a service they are clearly not in agreement with. It's really not much different than an organization who wants to help animal shelters, but does not want to provide support to shelters that perform euthanasia. The organization, just like us as individual donors, have the right to choose to whom we do or do not donate to, and for any reason we see fit.
    Miss Mrs. New & Improved Blog Chart
    Online Garage Sale
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    monica & kevin married 5.28.11
    bfp 8.11.11 - m/c 8.17.11
    bfp 11.11.11 - edd 7.25.12
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    imagedle927:

I'd tell them to go get a colon exam with that money. But I'm sure they won't. I'm super glad more underprivileged women can get mammograms now. 

• Options
    imagejessica6283:
    imageTinaL99:

It depends on your state. Massachusetts Planned Parenthood does do abortions. I would guess basing on what I've heard, NY doesn't? But I thought the PP here in Syracuse does.

And your bottom comment, Tina, I'm in complete agreement with you.

I posted this on FB earlier, PP broke down their services into percentages and 3% of services are abortions. HOWEVER they are never allowed to use federal money for them.

This topic really irks me. Sad sad especially as a mother of girls.  

Ashley Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"