Adoption
Options

Also...is it ok to be scared?

I don't have anyone I can talk to about this IRL, and I won't lie...I'm scared. I'm scared about the process, I'm scared of someone judging my home, I'm scared of someone judging our money, I'm scared of falling in love with a child and having them taken away....I'm just scared.

I know we're ready and I know we want this....is it normal to be a little scared?

Rosie born August 29, 2013. Blessed by adoption!

Re: Also...is it ok to be scared?

• Options
    yes, of course it is ok.  How you feel is how you feel.  And this process IS invasive and "weird feeling" at times.  My main feeling throughout most of our adoption journey (until DD came along) was anger over all of that.  So I'd say fear is a relatively healthy emotion compared with anger!  I won't say you absolutely shouldn't be afraid of any of that, they are realities, but not for everyone.  Especially having the baby taken away.  It DOES happen, but (I THINK) more often than not it doesn't.  I won't say don't worry, but try to enjoy the ride, and know that it CAN go smoothly and beautifully : )
    Look for me on Facebook! (reply and I'll tell you who to look for!) imageimage Began meds 9/6/07. Donor ER date 10/2/07. ET date 10/8/07!!! Beta 10/19=BFN Began meds for FET 11/21 FET 12/21! Beta 1/2/08- BFN It took exactly two years of adoption waiting, after two years of IF struggles. Our baby is here! imageLilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Second Birthday tickers http://myifertilityblog.blogspot.com - new post! image
  • Options
    ok, just saw the "foster to adopt" post, which makes this situation a LITTLE different, but mostly, my original reply still goes.  GL! : )
    Look for me on Facebook! (reply and I'll tell you who to look for!) imageimage Began meds 9/6/07. Donor ER date 10/2/07. ET date 10/8/07!!! Beta 10/19=BFN Began meds for FET 11/21 FET 12/21! Beta 1/2/08- BFN It took exactly two years of adoption waiting, after two years of IF struggles. Our baby is here! imageLilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Second Birthday tickers http://myifertilityblog.blogspot.com - new post! image
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

imagefredalina:
    Of course it's not okay. You're never entitled to your own opinions.  Oh, wait, for a minute I thought it was opposite day :).

LOL. When I first started reading that I was like "oh no!".

I was talking to a friend (who has no experience with adoption at all) and she just kept saying how excited I must be, how excited it all is, how wonderful this is...when I mentioned I was a little nervous, she told me not to be ridiculous.

• Options
    Of course it's okay.  Worrying is second nature as a parent.  It won't stop after finalization, it will transfer to something else.  Just don't let it over take the process.  Yes some parts of it stink but every step is one step closer to your child.  Enjoy your process, as much as you can, and never let anyone tell you APs don't go through labor!
  • Options

Of course! no offense to your friend, but she sounds a little clueless ;)

First of all, its so different and out of the ordinary compared to how most people build their families.  So inherantly its a huge unknown that is relatively isolating - hello, scary.

Second, when you have a bio child, you at least kinda sorta know what you are in for.  Fostering?!  You have no idea and no control over so many things.  plus, not only are you signing up for the kids, but also their bio familes. SCARY.

Then, always having someone looking over your shoulder at how you parent, dress the kids, keep your home, ect ect ect?  stressful, annoying, and scary.

Of course its an exciting time as well, but trust me when I tell you that pretty much every emotion under the sun is normal and okay!

• Options
    You all rock :) I feel so much better now. I'm so excited for all this, but I'm sure I'll experience the whole slew of emotions.
  • Options
    Your original posting sounds just like what I'm feeling. I'm excited, but scared, too! :-) 

Me: 26
    Hubs: 32
    Married June 19, 2010.
    TTC since that date.
    No successes that we know of.
    Still waiting on the SA results. (Insurance issues.)
    Cycle length approx. 34-36 days.
    PCOS "diagnosis" Dec. 2011.
    Started Metformin Dec. 2011.
    34 day lighter cycle in Jan '12.
    Possibly starting the adoption journey sometime this Spring.
    Lots of unknowns, but tons of hope. :-)
    Visit my blog, Angela's Favorite Things!
    Visit my weight loss blog!
    LilySlim Weight loss tickers
    Follow Me on Pinterest
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"