Upstate NY Babies
Options

so much for limiting the TV

so we have directTV and they have a baby first channel- well it was an addition when we first got our package but a couple of weeks ago- it became included...

Its all "baby einstien" esque shows- music, colors, numbers and letters- but nothing "commerical" so far...and I pretty much leave it on all day...L has his shows but I figure if I'm going to have it on when he has a break from his shows might as well be this right? 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: so much for limiting the TV

• Options

We are on a repeating Word World loop here....

I tell myself that it isn't that bad since she gets up and uses her alphabet bean bags to build words with them on the show.  But ya, it is on way too much.  Last night as she was playing with her trains I heard her say to herself "We build a choo choo track, we build it, we build it now"

• Options

Because I have an "on the go" kid - I would worry about ADD tendancies. It isn't so much the dumb-bad message-violence I worry about...it's the constant stream of stimulation. But yeah, these shows are better than most of Disney and basically ALL of nickelodeon.

We have cut waaaaaaaaaaayyy back from how much it was on in the early survival days. I just hope it didn't do permanent harm :(

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    imageTelyco:

Because I have an "on the go" kid - I would worry about ADD tendancies. It isn't so much the dumb-bad message-violence I worry about...it's the constant stream of stimulation. But yeah, these shows are better than most of Disney and basically ALL of nickelodeon.

It depends on age.  Most of the Nick Jr shows follow a story from begining to end, while toddlers may not get much from that, it is different for preschoolers who are watching TV.  By 3 or 4 they should have a longer attension span for story lines, begin learning comprehension skills, problem solving, etc and probably should be watching Umizoomi and Bubble Guppies over Bonnie Bear or Vinnies Art (available on Netflix).

In my house, the amount of TV watched seems to dwindle everyday.  There are days where it is down to 15 minutes in the morning then it isn't on again until 15 minutes before bedtime.  They actually watch more TV in the car, keeps them from fighting, screaming, and falling asleep.  The shows of choice now are actually narated book DVDs from Scholastic, I never would have imagined my kids would choose these over cartoons.

• Options

Ooo..that's an awesome idea (the narrated books) I bet my kids would LOVE those. I use the DVD player in the car on the way home from picking Evan up at school (same reasons, not to fall asleep or fight because they're tired)

And I'm talking about shows like Phinneus(sp?) & Ferb and Spongebob - yikes. I just can't stand the NOISE of those shows.

• Options
    imageTelyco:

And I'm talking about shows like Phinneus(sp?) & Ferb and Spongebob - yikes. I just can't stand the NOISE of those shows.

Ooo, those shows are not allowed.  Tyler knows right away what is a kids show and what isn't, and he know Spongbob is off limits.  But it doesn't stop Brianna from getting excited everytime she sees a picture of Spongbob, she has NEVER seen the show!

You can buy the scholastic story book DVDs on Amazon, they have this and this.  We own some, but we usually borrow them from the library.  It is Tyler and my Tuesday activity, pick out a DVD and a Wii or computer game from the library for the week.  The stories are great for the car because they are 5-10 minutes long, pretty much long enough to watch one story most places we go start to finish, or a few stories for longer trips.

• Options

introducing the itouch/ipad has greatly reduced the amount of tv time..

i'm not saying it isn't on as both of my boys (yes i'm including DH here) need to have the damn thing on even it they aren't in the same room- drives me nuts..

but now i have to worry about too much itime...

if it's not one thing it's another

oh and i love phineas & ferb

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

As we have our evening ritual of sitting in the living room, watching paula deen and having a snack.

This is literally one of the only times ben watches tv, and the only thing we have on with him around are sports and the news. But DH and I don't watch a ton of tv during the day, it's usually when we go to bed.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"