Upstate NY Babies
Options

Interviewing while pregnant

While I've had interviews during both pregnancies, I've never had one this far along.  I have one next week, so I'll be 35 weeks.  I applied in November, but I feel like it's pretty obvious now and I should say something about it.  If I am interested in the position, do I say something like I'm clearly pregnant, but I am interested in this position?"  If offered the job, I  probably wouldn't begin until after I had the baby, how would you address that? 

I'm trying not to get ahead of myself because I don't even know if I'm for sure interested or if it will be offered, I just feel like not addressing it would be really strange. 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Second Birthday tickers BabyName Ticker

Re: Interviewing while pregnant

• Options
    I already told you what I think (right?  I did write you back on FB didn't I??)  but I had to tell you that I LOVE your siggy pic!  Who did your pics?
    DD1: 3/31/10 DD2: 9/7/11
  • Options

Love your siggy!

So legally they are not allowed to ask about pregnancy and you do not have to say anything.  Personally, if I was in your position I would assume they can obviously tell I am pregnant at 35 weeks and just address when you would want your start date to be.  The pregnancy would probably come up as I said it - something like - I would be ready to start this position March 15th (or whatever you feel) as that gives me enough time after delivering.

I used the fact that I already had one kid to reassure my boss that I would be back FT and 100% productivity.  Kind of like a been there done that thing.  There have been cuts and I didn't want her to one moment think I may not come back after having the baby as so many other women in our district have done.  I also told her that #2 would be our last baby - but if the job market for my position was different I probably wouldn't have bothered to say that. 

• Loading the player...
  • Options

Obviously, you'll have to address it. Also, you should go in with a plan of what you'll say - that you know you aren't covered by FMLA, so you would work with whatever time you are given for leave, that you have ample family support and child care is set up so that you wouldn't have any delays for getting back on the job. Even if you end up not wanting the job, it doesn't hurt to have the script set in your mind on this, or any other interviews you may get.

Good luck!

• Options
    I'm with jnk- but legally they arent allowed to "ask" about it and if they do before you bring it up- I would give them the side eye
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    HA!  I just hung up the phone with my boss.  She just called to make sure I was still planning on coming back and all that.  It's like this post jinxed me, how funny.
  • Options

I agree with all that jnk said..

I also LOVE your siggy pic! 

imageimage PHOTO Credit: Meryl :)Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

Thanks ladies!  I think it might be a little bit of an awkward situation until I say something about it, but at least they'll know I'm interested in the agency, right?  I think Wendy is right, I need to have a script prepared in my head.  I started stressing myself out about it today but finally realized that it's definitely not worth it yet because who knows how it will even go. 

Thanks for the compliment on the siggy pic too, I can't believe how grown up Jules looks!  Tina, you did respond to me on FB :) I'm going to write you now though about the photographer. 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Second Birthday tickers BabyName Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"