Late Term and Child Loss

The phrase "take home baby"

Has anyone ever thought about how completely depressing this phrase is? The first time I heard it I cringed. We had babies and (most of us) didn't get to take them home, unless you count the urn I have on my mantle. It's as though we were part of some evil fairy tale where the goblin comes and steals away your child.

Oh, wait. That's Rumpelstiltskin. Except in the end, she actually got to keep her baby. Ugh.

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: The phrase "take home baby"

• I know just what you mean.  Sad
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers 

CafeMom Tickers

Married the love of my life 7/11/09 - Our first baby, Peyton Mark, was born sleeping 10/25/11 at 33 weeks - Our second baby, BFP 2/4/12, welcome to the world Raylan! Holy Moly, BPF 2/4/14, please be safe and sound little one!

My Blog

• Our lives are depressing now. Every single term that we have can be depressing

First time I said "take home baby" to my support group a couple of the girls were like do they come in Chinese take out boxes? So when I told those girls I was pg with Lucas, I gave them take out boxes. lol

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
    Photobucket
  • Loading the player...
  • I agree with magdalena.  Every term, even "rainbow baby" has a depressing back story, meaning, emotion.  My DH uses the term "take home baby" more often than I do, mainly because for him, we didn't get to bring Logan home.  Once the baby is here with us, he'll feel better.  For me, however, I feel as though having a "take home baby" isn't enough.  There are so many wonderful women on this board who have taken their baby's home and then lost them.  My fear encompasses not just the pregnancy but after the pregnancy and I think that fear is magnified for me because even though I didn't bring Logan home, he was a living, breathing (even though with machines), wiggling, eye opening baby that I could see and touch for 11 days. 

Long story short -- I know exactly what you mean.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I agree with you I say "take home baby" too and people kind of look at me like I am silly. I believe only us loss mommies know what that truly means. Regular everyday non loss people see it as weird LOL. It is a weird phrase but how else should we put it. I have my baby home with me but it is her ashes and an urn it isn't at all the same. :(
    DS- Brenden born 11/13/93 Missed miscarriage on March 6, 2007 @ 9 weeks D&C on March 8th 2007. Riley Annalise born 2/25/08 ( 3 weeks early weighing 8 lbs 12.8 oz.) Chemical pregnancy 3/2010. Sydney Adriana born sleeping on 9/30/11 weighing 10lbs 3 oz at 38wks 4 days. Trinity Alivia born via c section at 36 wks 4 days weighing 9 lbs. 5.7 oz. She is our amazing rainbow baby!!! Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers PGAL buddy drvst8
  • I say rainbow baby because I took Kamryn home...She just didn't stay there....I can see how the term could be appropriate or painful at the same time.

Sadly all the terms we use or need to explain our situations all stem from a sad reality of unnessesary loss. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I find myself saying, "baby that stays" since Adam came home, lived for 2 months, and then died.  It's all very depressing. 
    imageimageimage
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"