New Jersey Babies

short term disability question

hello ladies!  was wondering if you could possibly answer a questions for me.  i work at a small firm - definitely less than 50, so there's no way i would be qualified for the Family Leave Act.  so i'll be going through short term disability.  as of the moment, i really don't think i'll be heading back to work after my disability time is up.  does anyone know if there are penalties if i wasn't to go back?  right now my plan is to take the 6/8 weeks (or whatever the doctor gives me), then take me my two weeks vacation as giving my two weeks notice.  

thanks in advance! 

Re: short term disability question

• You won't get it if you aren't planning on going back. I would give my notice when disability or family leave is up.  Just say it will be too emtional to leave your child. NJ has the family leave act, so I am sure you get it even if your employer is less than 50. do you get NJFL deducted from your pay?
  • that's what i was thinking -- i'm not sure i get that taken out of my pay -- i do get NJFLI taken out though, is that the same thing?

thank you so much for your response! 

• Loading the player...
  • you should get 4 weeks before and 6 weeks after for disability then another 6 weeks of family leave insurance from the state.  I dont think those are dependant on company size. but be aware that your rate is based on you last 10 or 20 weeks of pay so if you take unpaid time before it could affect your rate. And you should tell them you arent planning on coming back after those are exhausted because they have to fill out the paperwork and may not have to if you quit prior.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"