April 2012 Moms

Book instead of Card - Wording?

I am going to enclose a tag in my shower invites that says This Books Belongs to XXXXX given by XXXXXX.

I am trying to come up with wording for the bottom of the invite to say please bring a book and not a card and sign the tag and put it in the book. I don't want a cheesy poem just a line on the bottom of the invite.

I know a lot of people are anti asking for books. IMO books last forever, cards are thrown away and are the same price.

Does anyone have a good saying?

Something like in lieu of a card please bring a baby book and leave your wishes on the enclosed tag.

That sounds very clinical to me but something along those lines?

Kellen 4.27.12 Miller 6.30.13 Baby #3 edd 9.7.15

Re: Book instead of Card - Wording?

• I can't remember what my sisters put on my invite for my shower.  But it was a "Bedtime Story/Dr Seuss" themed shower so I think I remember having something to do with that.

I got all kinds of books and NO DUPLICATES!  Everyone talked about what an awesome idea it was.  We know it's not a new idea, but I guess some of the shower guests never heard of it.

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers image
  • I did this for my cousins shower in October. I just put on the bottom "In lieu of a card please bring your favorite children's book". Most people just wrote in the book and she luckily only got one duplicate (Goodnight moon).

I did see some cutesy sayings/poems online for this:

Just one last request, and we hope it's not hard
    Please bring baby a book in place of a card
    By signing your book we will remember and share
    Your special gift, even when you're not there

Lillian April 17, 2012
  • Loading the player...
  • If I remember correctly, Beener 0514 had this on her invites, and it was worded beautifully. I think mine say something like "In lieu of cards, please bring your favorite baby or children's book and help us create a library for baby girl S-!"
  • not sure if you have room for this on the invitation if not you can add it as an insert (print yourself)

Although cards are nice,
    and read once or twice
    A book is a treasure forever and ever
    So instead of a card to be put aside
    Please give a book with your name inside
    Choose one of your favorite stories or tales
    That you would like Baby [last name] to hear. 

Although cards are nice, they?re read once or maybe twice

A book is a treasure forever and forever

So instead of a card to be put aside,
    please give the little one a baby book with your name inside.

It will be read to the baby before bed each night
    and Kimmie and Rick will thank you as they turn off the light

As smart as I can be.
    That is why I'm hoping
    My mom will read to me.
    If you plan to bring a card
    Please take another look,
    I would like to learn my ABC's
    From your favorite storybook.
    Please sign your name
    As your personal touch.
    My mommy and I thank you
    Very, Very much.

I want to be a bright child,
    as smart as I can be.
    That is why I'm hoping
    my mom will read to me.

If you plan to bring a card
    please take another look.
    I would like to learn my ABC's
    from your favorite storybook.

Please add your name and a note
    then I'll know you've done your part.
    Someday I'll surely thank you
    from the bottom of my little heart.

Cute idea by the way...we did not ask for books in lieu of card or on regisry and my goodness this boy has a library and a half....some brought w/baby gifts and after he was born as a welcome gift (plus we have a ton from DD and some in storage)....but great way to get a library started.

Natalia
    Konstantino
    Maximo
    image Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    FOLLOW ME ON PINTEREST https://pinterest.com/raffaella1030/
  • I made cards for a friend of ours shower last year. I thought this idea was adorable. I can't remember where we found the poem...

" In Place of a Card, Bring an unwrapped book, it would be so swell
    We'll try to fill up the whole wishing well
    With mom Baby Cole can take a look
    Or hop in Dad's lap and open a book
    Whether Cat in the Hat or Winnie the Pooh
    You can sign the inside cover with a note from you
    He?ll become very smart, if my advice you do heed
    If we begin early, he'll soon love to read
    Nothing compares to a set of bookends
    Filled with books given by all of one?s friends
    Good times and laughter we all hope to share
    Monika would be thrilled to see you all there."
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • My SIL had cute wording on my invite and when I get home I will look and post it
    i wish i could be joking but my dad is the music teacher at a church so he owuld be mad. we had sex, all the time how bad i know but we dont want to wait and he said GREAT OH KAY! and I was really feeling the wets? down there- too embarsed to say- but he acted like man.
  • I know you did want a poem but we used "in lieu of a card please bring a book signed by you just in time for Baby ____'s big debut". 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • oh, another good thing my sisters did!

they had a bunch of sharpies available so people could sign their books.  a lot of people didn't understand they were supposed to write in it!

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers image
  • imagephotonbug:
    I know you did want a poem but we used "in lieu of a card please bring a book signed by you just in time for Baby ____'s big debut". 

No! I don't want a poem just something short and sweet like this - a one liner.

Kellen 4.27.12 Miller 6.30.13 Baby #3 edd 9.7.15
  • imageTeamHayes:

imagephotonbug:
    I know you did want a poem but we used "in lieu of a card please bring a book signed by you just in time for Baby ____'s big debut". 

No! I don't want a poem just something short and sweet like this - a one liner.

Oh ok, well feel free to use it.  We put our last name in the blank above.  We have told people are LO name but I rather not remind them and then get a whole bunch of personalized gifts :D
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Ugh.

My hostesses put "In lieu of TOYS bring a signed book." Yes, I told them we were hoping to not get a ton of toys, but now I'm thinking ppl will just bring books...I hope not.

Anyhoo, "In lieu of cards..." is fine. 

• imagejenwet:
    If I remember correctly, Beener 0514 had this on her invites, and it was worded beautifully. I think mine say something like "In lieu of cards, please bring your favorite baby or children's book and help us create a library for baby girl S-!"

Yep, that was me! :) Our wording was this:

From Peter Rabbit to Mother Goose, Goodnight Moon and Dr. Seuss

Curious George and Winnie the Pooh, Eloise and Barbar, too

In lieu of a card, please bring your favorite childhood classic. Let's build a library for Emerson that will be fantastic!

Emerson Kate born 4/6/12, 5 lbs. 13 oz. 18 3/4 inches.

Happily expecting Baby Mac #2 around 4/13/14

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"