April 2012 Moms
Options

If I don't buy a travel system...

I'm just throwing around the pros and cons of having one, and not having one. I originally registered for a stroller and car seat separately, but I was wondering how a stroller would accomodate a newborn. Do they make strollers that they can be safely strapped in? The more I think about it, the more I think I want a travel system. Not so much to prevent moving her around, but I think I would feel like she was more secure. What are you guys doing?
A - 4/27/12     D - 7/14/14

Re: If I don't buy a travel system...

• Options

You can snap an infant car seat in to many strollers with an adapter bar. You don't necessarily have to get a "travel system" to be able to use your stroller with a newborn (and with a "travel system" stroller you won't be putting your baby directly in to the stroller).

We got the City Mini stroller to use once he fits in to it. Some people are able to put their newborn in it all the way reclined, others aren't. Just depends on the fit of your baby. My SIL gave us her snap n' go frame and infant car seat, so we'll use that. We plan to babywear mostly though.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Many strollers sell adapter bars to allow any car seat to be secured to the stroller.  With DD I got a snap and go stroller frame.  I loved this option.  My biggest thing was that I wanted a lightweight stroller.  This allowed me to get a stroller frame which was lightweight and then get a Maclaren stroller which I believe is 11 lbs.  I love the stroller and could not be happier!  I would not recommend putting  a newborn directly into the stroller though unless they have a special bassinet attachment to make it safe.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I'm not a fan of the bundled travel systems (Graco, Chicco, Baby Trend, etc.) since the strollers really aren't that great.  There are a lot of better strollers that have adapters so they can be used as a travel system with your infant seat.  What stroller and car seat are you registered for?  You could also get a Snap n Go type stroller to use with your car seat and then get a different stroller to use when your LO is older.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

med-free birth x2, breastfeeding, baby wearing SAHM
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    My BFP Chart

• Options

I'm not a huge travel system fan either (I got one, even tho I never liked them, and sure enough regretted it).

Either get a snap and go frame (you can get them used for cheap!) or see if your stroller has an adapter that accepts your seat. I don't think I would put a newborn right into the stroller just due to convenience, unless it had a bassinet of course.

• Options
    Ditto on the Snap and Go frame.  Super light weight, easy to maneuver in crowded spaces.  We did that with the infant seat till he was out of his infant seat and then bought a MacClaren stroller.
  • Options

We have a snap n go.  DD hated it.  So I wore her.  

Later on, we used a BOB.  I loved that so much.  We also have a Maclaren umbrella stroller that I HATE. 

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers image
  • Options

Im not getting a travel system - here's what we're doing:

For when baby is in the infant carseat: 
       Use chicco caddy (like snap n go) for quick trips, shopping, etc
       Use BOB stroller + attachment for trail walking, etc

For when baby is out of infant carseat:
       Use BOB stroller without attachment for walking/running/trails
       Use cheapie umbrella stroller for quick trips, shopping, etc. 

Here's the example of the Chicco Keyfit caddy - its made for the Chicco seats so it snaps in and is pretty secure.  There's universal ones that also snap in as well.

• Options
    Anyone have specific recc? Links maybe? I will admit, I picked mine out because I thought the print was really cute. Ugh - I have a long way to go!
    A - 4/27/12     D - 7/14/14
  • Options
    I also got the chicco caddy (and chicco car seat) and am getting a city mini stroller. I registered for the adapter bar but i might wait to see how i like the snap n go first
  • Options
    I am not interested in the bulkiness of a travel system. We are getting the Britax B-Safe infant seat and B-Agile stroller. Not exactly your typical travel system, but the infant seat does click right in to the stroller without an adapter bar. 
    imageVisit The Nest!
  • Options

imageDinabethL:
    Anyone have specific recc? Links maybe? I will admit, I picked mine out because I thought the print was really cute. Ugh - I have a long way to go!

This depends largely on your needs and your budget. Also your family plans.

Going back (we had a graco travel system). I would have gone with a seperate carseat either a Graco (since we were happy with that and it last over a year) or a CHicco (since they have great reviews) and either a baby jogger city select or city mini.

Neither of these are actual jogging strollers, but both have excellent options and reviews. If I planned on having another LO before #1 was 2/3 I would go with a city select because you can add a seat to this and make it a double. If that wasn't important to me I do really like the city mini. We are renting a doubel in Disney and I think we are really going to like it.

We also have a small convenience stroller (Graco IPO) that we use a lot more now, however I feel like we could have done without this if we had a more convenient stroller to begin with.

• Options
    FYI - you can't put the baby directly into a stroller until they can sit up on their own, which is about six months.  Get whatever stroller you want, just make sure it is compatible with your carseat.  When DS1 was born, I used a Snap n Go way more often that the stroller that "went with" our carseat.  You can pick a stroller you really like later for when the baby can actually sit in it.  We got an umbrella stroller, since it actually fits in my trunk without taking up all the space in there.
  • Options

imageTorani:
    FYI - you can't put the baby directly into a stroller until they can sit up on their own, which is about six months.  Get whatever stroller you want, just make sure it is compatible with your carseat.  When DS1 was born, I used a Snap n Go way more often that the stroller that "went with" our carseat.  You can pick a stroller you really like later for when the baby can actually sit in it.  We got an umbrella stroller, since it actually fits in my trunk without taking up all the space in there.

You can put the baby directly in the stroller if you have one that has a full recline. My graco (which I don't really love) reclined fully and also had the end piece that you coudl positioned up to make it almost like a cradle so the end was closed off, we went to a picnic when DS was 10 days old and I put him directly in there so he could lay flat. Its not reccomended that babies spend extended periods of time in the upright position a carseat provides.

• Options
    imageMrs.Teddy:

imageTorani:

You can put the baby directly in the stroller if you have one that has a full recline. My graco (which I don't really love) reclined fully and also had the end piece that you coudl positioned up to make it almost like a cradle so the end was closed off, we went to a picnic when DS was 10 days old and I put him directly in there so he could lay flat. Its not reccomended that babies spend extended periods of time in the upright position a carseat provides.

Yes 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"