Babies: 0 - 3 Months
Options

Do you have a routine, esp. bedtime?

I've heard talk of the EASY routine, babywise, etc. and am wondering if any routines actually work for a 5 week old. What routines do you all use?

During the day I pretty much feed on demand and let him sleep when he falls asleep. Essentially, we have no routine. Could this be why it is so hard to get him to go to sleep at a decent hour at night? It literally takes HOURS of rocking/feeding/patting. Could a routine help my husband and I have any time alone before we are both to exhausted to do anything? Ahhh!!

BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Do you have a routine, esp. bedtime?

• Options
    We do bath, lotion, pajamas, feed, swaddle. We started at 6 weeks and coincidence or not, she started sttn after that! We start routine at 9 and she sleeps 5-7 hours straight, feeds, then sleeps another 4-5 hours
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

We have been following the Babywise, Eat Awake Sleep, since my DD was about 3-4weeks old. In the evening (b/t 9-10pm) we do bath, lotion, feed, swaddle and she is down for the night! She has been sleeping through the night (8.5-10hr) since about week 7 or 8. Once she is up in the morning we start the EAS. We are very flexible but she usually eats every 2.5-3.5hrs during the day. If she is sleeping at the 3.5hr mark, I wake her up.

Like I said, we are flexible with it. Sometimes she is too sleepy to stay awake after she eats and sometimes she doesn't nap before her next feeding. The routine has definately worked for us though! GL

• Loading the player...
  • Options

I follow DS's cues. We're beginning to see a routine naturally.

He's up around 7 and goes down for a short nap (30-45 min) between 8 and 9. He's up and playing/feeding until 10 or 11 and goes down for another short nap. He's up until 1 or 2 and takes another short nap, or a long nap and drops the evening nap. It depends. If he takes an evening nap it's usually around 5.

He starts to get fussy between 6 and 7 (depending on the evening nap), so we start our bedtime routine. He gets a bath 2-3 times per week; otherwise it's pajamas, sometimes part of a story and nursing. He'll either nurse to sleep or he wants the baby milkshake. He sleeps for 3-4 hours for the first stretch.

He's up every 2-3 hours at night. I keep praying for longer stretches of sleep but I think his hunger keeps waking him up. He's 13 lbs 9 oz at 9 weeks! Last night he went to sleep at 8 and was up at 12, 2:30, 5:30 and 7.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

Our daytime routine kind of naturally evolved.  He wakes from a nap, eats, does tummy time, then we play for a bit before he starts showing signs of being tired, then I put him down for a nap.

We started a nighttime routine around 3 weeks because we were having a nightmare putting him to sleep.  It was taking hours of him crying the entire time. Now DH gets home from work between 5:30 and 6:00 and he's in charge of bedtime.  He bathes the baby, clothes/swaddles him, feeds him a bottle, reads him a bedtime story, and puts him to sleep.  It used to take about 2 hours, but now it takes an hour or less.

June '15 January Siggy Challenge.  Pinterest Fails

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

its really a matter of your personality. We have no routine and didnt with my first. She ended up making somewhat of a routine but changes daily. Only consistent thing is her bedtime is right around 9. she made it, not us :) she sleeps from 9 to 2-4 depending on night...

• Options

We do bath, bottle (hubby reads to her while I feed her), and then bed. I usually just have to rock her for a few minutes after her last bottle and she is out. We usually start at 7:30pm.

During the day, I feed her every 3 hours (I ff) and just let her nap when she wants to. I found that if I don't feed her every 3 hours, then she wakes up hungry at night.

After 2 years of TTC, our daughter was born on Oct 31, 2011!
    7lbs 13oz  20 inches long
    image"Lilypie">

• Options
    DD is 6 months and we still don't have a day time routine. The bedtime routine though helped a ton! We originally just started giving her a bath whenever she started getting fussy at night, we'd give her a bath, bottle, then bed. She gradually started going to bed earlier and now she's in bed by 730 and sleeps about 12 hours straight. We bathe her every night but only use soap every 3 or so nights.
    image imageimage Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I had the same problem with my LO till a few weeks ago. It gets better with time. Some of it comes naturally, but some of it does come with enforcing a schedule as well. The only thing we do that is consistent is the time we lay him down (around 1130) and what we feed him (6-8 oz of formula since he supplements and my breastmilk typically has traces of caffeine).
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"