June 2011 Moms
Options

Daycare/Nanny Question

So I posted last week about major daycare issues. Another mom and I are getting together and we are going to do a nanny share. We are trying to figure out how much to pay the girl. She has been open with us about how much she is currently making working at a daycare.

She receives no benefits at daycare.  Except she does accrue 1 week of paid time off.

At daycare she is responsible for 5 kids, in home she would only have 2.

She would have mine 5 days a week and the other girls kid she would have 4 days a week.

We would give her the week between Christmas and New Years off and then 2 weeks of paid time off for vacation. If she needed to schedule appts the other mom is willing to watch Avery on her day off from time to time.

Would you pay her the same she is making now, a little more than she is making now, or a little less than she is making now? I dont want to talk specific amounts since price varies across the country. Any insight would be great! We dont want to take advantage of her because we know the care our kiddos receive is going to go way up, but we also dont want to over pay.

She would also not have any around the house responsibilities.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Daycare/Nanny Question

• Options
    I'd pay her slightly more.
  • Options

I agree with PP's.  I would pay her at least what she is making now, if not more.  I also think that it's a different job than a daycare center.  It will most likely be more work for her--no floater teachers or back up.  No lunch break, etc.

I am actually a nanny.  I have a degree in Elementary Education and taught 1st grade for 6 years.  When I left teaching, I started out making A LOT more by being a nanny.  I was teaching a Christian school though, so that had something to do with it.  I have been with the family for 4 years now and I currently make DOUBLE what I made teaching.  Although, I think my situation is a little more unique.

I get 2 weeks paid vacation a year.  I am also allowed sick days, although I have never taken one.  I was given a month off for maternity leave.  Whenever they go on vacation, I am off--paid.  (I am salary.  If you pay hourly, you would have to discuss this.)  They have a car for me to drive while at work.

You can PM me if you have any other more specific questions.

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Honestly I'd probably pay her the same or slightly less. You're giving her 3 weeks of vacation basically PLUS she has 3 fewer children to watch.
  • Options
    Nannies tend to make more than DC workers, at least in my area. The last I looked into it at a private agency- $20-25/hr. I would look around at how much nannies are going for and find a number between her current salary and the salary for a nanny.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Thanks. Really diving into the unknown here....
  • Options
    I would pay her a bit more than she is making at daycare. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"