Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months

12 Month Old Eating Concerns

My 1 year old (in 2 days!) has been slow to adapt to solids.  She currently eats purees, oatmeal, cheerios/puffs/yogurt melts/crunchies, and a small amount of deli meat and cheese.  Everyday I try to feed her new things and also I continue to offer the new food several times.  She will either spit it out or refuse to even try it.  I'm really looking for moms with advice or who can relate!  DH and I plan to speak to her pedi next week as well.

Any advice?

Thanks ladies!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: 12 Month Old Eating Concerns

• No advice, but I can relate. DD eats everything you listed except the deli meat and cheeses.  I tried giving her pasta tonight and she spit it out.  We tried bites of pancakes and those ended up on the floor.  She's a great eater, but doesn't like solids.  I'm not worried about it.  I keep trying and when she's ready to eat it, she will. 
  • Just keep trying, I read somewhere that it can take up to 12 tries for a LO to accept a new food.  The only other suggestion I have is to introduce new foods earlier in the day.  My Lo is a great eater but he is at his fussiest at dinner when he will randomly refuse to eat foods that he will happily accept the next day at lunch.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • imagebgf1:
    Just keep trying, I read somewhere that it can take up to 12 tries for a LO to accept a new food.  The only other suggestion I have is to introduce new foods earlier in the day.  My Lo is a great eater but he is at his fussiest at dinner when he will randomly refuse to eat foods that he will happily accept the next day at lunch.

E will sometimes refuse foods at lunch only to gobble them up a couple of hours later.  and vice versa.

I can't find a rhyme or reason. I just keep a few different things handy.

He's even refused Cheerios, and he normally loves those.

Om nom nom
    Photobucket Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I am in the same situation with my son. He refuses to eat solid fruits he would rather have the pureed ones. Ive tried many times to get him to eat fruits and even veggies but he will spit it right out. He loves peas, but only if they are pureed. I've managed to sneak chopped up broccoli into some mashed potatoes and he ate that. He eats table food meats without a problem. Like your LO he eats oatmeal, cheerios and yogurt. I tried pasta with marinara sauce and he ate it (yay) so I cooked some spinach and mixed it into the sauce. So its basically just hit or miss with him. He recently stopped eating cheerios. I wish I could figure him out, lol. I don't know if any of this helps, but just wanted to let you know you weren't alone.
  • Just keep at it.  My DD will eat pureed fruits but not chunks of the same fruit. 

• My DS had food/texture aversion until about 13 months. We had to do speech therapy for it, as he would barely even take purees. But then it was like one day when he 13 months old, a switch was flipped, and he suddenly started eating real solid food. He went from 0 to 60 almost instantly.

Keep trying and before you know it, your LO will be eating pretty much everything in your fridge and pantry. Good luck! 

"To me, you are perfect."

• Thanks ladies ! I'll keep at it
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"