June 2011 Moms
Options

Tax question...

Would someone please tell my husband that he can not claim me as a dependent?! I guess when he first did his tax information at his job the lady told him that he could claim me as a dependent, since I sah. I showed him on turbotax where it says that he can not. He is now saying that we should go to h&r block, because the lady knows and turbo tax doesn't Hmm.

DD1 | Jan 2009
DD2 | June 2011
DS1 | Oct 2013
   ADD3 | Oct 2014 (April 2001)
DS2 | June 2016
DS3 | Dec 2018

Due with baby blob August 2021

Pregnancy Ticker

Re: Tax question...

• Options
    I'm pretty sure he can't, but if you file married/jointly he gets the same exemption for you that he would get by claiming you as a dependent. I think
    photo image_zps90e45ea2.jpg
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options

imageCarlaAndJames:
    I'm pretty sure he can't, but if you file married/jointly he gets the same exemption for you that he would get by claiming you as a dependent. I think

That is what I read too. 

DD1 | Jan 2009
    DD2 | June 2011
    DS1 | Oct 2013
    DS2 | June 2016
    DS3 | Dec 2018

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I just started doing our taxes today (using Turbo Tax). I'm pretty sure I saw something about your spouse not counting as a dependent. I think it was in the "Personal Info" section checklist.

Hope that helps Smile

ETA: Oops missed the part where you already found it on Turbo Tax. Hmm...I wonder if the new H&R Block Software might tell have that info too.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    DH is an accountant-- he said no-- when you file married, you will already be taking exemption for yourself. Has nothing to do with the other spouse working or not.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Ya he definitely can not claim you as a dependent, as an exemption yes but not as a dependent.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    klvklv member
    Is there a link to this info? My DH wants to claim me as a dependent too.
  • Options
    And now he is saying that the guys at the shop said he could... You know because guys working at a machine shop know these things...

DD1 | Jan 2009
    DD2 | June 2011
    DS1 | Oct 2013
    DS2 | June 2016
    DS3 | Dec 2018

Pregnancy Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"