May 2012 Moms
Options

Questions...

What kind of questions do you ask your dr?  I never remember any when I'm at my appt!  My mom and sisters answer anything else that may come up.  I just feel like a bad mom (already) bc I never ask anything!  I'm naturally a laid back go with the flow person

Re: Questions...

• Options
    But I feel almost neglectful!
  • Options
    Usually I'm just asking her ways that I can be more comfortable. I am someone who asks too many questions in general (it drove my classmates nuts in graduate school, I'm sure), so a lot of questions I ask are ones that I don't think most pregnant women would be asking and that, in retrospect, are dumb to ask. :) I guess I'm just anxious!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I only tend to ask questions if things come up in a reasonable space of time before my appt.  Otherwise I totally forget!  I also use my mom and sister as sounding boards.  :)

Married DH 7/30/11

CSC arrived 5/7/12 

CHC arrived 6/2/14

• Options

I have a checklist app on my phone, so whenever I think of a question I pull it up and write it down there, since I always have my phone! My midwives know that when I show up I'll pull out my phone to get to my list of questions :-)

Really, though, I haven't had much the last couple times. I tend to ask whatever I've been thinking about, if certain things are normal, what their advice is about birth classes, is it OK to do x, etc. 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image
  • Options
    The only questions/concerns I've had after that 1st appointment was about weight gain. At my 2nd appointment I had lost 0.2 pounds (sounds crazy, right?), then at the 3rd I had gained 1 pound & at last month's I had gained 5 pounds (shocker since I was sick for 2 weeks!). But the doc always says I'm at a healthy weight & reminds me to get enough protein. 
  • Options

At my next appointment I'm going to ask a bunch of labor/birth questions.  I want to hear about how it will all go (or how they typically try to have it go).  This will be how I decide if I'm switching birthing sites (considering switching to a midwife).

Basic questions I think I will ask:

-what positions do you allow women to birth in?  Do you have a birthing ball?  Do you allow squatting or anything else besides laying on your back?

-Can I walk around during labor?  Can I go outside?

-Can I eat or drink during labor?  How much?  Why/why not?

-How long can I be in labor before the protocol is to introduce pitocin/epidural? 

-How late do you reccommend coming in, during the labor process? (I.e. contractions x minute apart?)

-Do you have birthing balls or rocking chairs to use during labor?  Do you allow women to shower or bathe during labor?  Do you offer massage or breathing therapies during labor?

-How many people can be in my room during labor?  After delivery?  Outside of visiting hours?

-What will happen immediately after my son comes out? (Assuming healthy delivery.)  Do I get to hold him immediately?  For how long?  If you have to take him away to do something, how long does that take?  What can my husband do to help?

-Will my baby be given a bottle without my express consent?

-Will I be pressured to use pain relief methods if I say I don't want them?  What if I don't believe in using them?

Hope this is helpful to you!  (It was helpful to me to think through all the questions I am asking next week!)

BabyFetus Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"