VBAC
Options

What Made You Choose to Attempt A VBAC?? (Even if you were unsuccessful)

Hi all!

I had my twin girls in May of 2010.  They were ID twins, and because they shared a placenta, I had a c-section.  Now I'm pregnant with Baby #3, and my little one is due in the beginning of September, a little over 2 years from my c-section.

My doctor has said I'm a good candidate for a VBAC and went over the risks of a repeat c-section, and a VBAC.  I obviously don't have to make this decision today, but she told me to do some research from reputable sources (gave me some ideas), and we'd talk about it during the course of my pregnancy.

My c-section with the girls was....a breeze.  I had no complications and I recovered quickly and well.  I also had a lot of help for a few weeks, and I didn't have two toddlers to take care of.  I never felt robbed of a "birth experience" like others I know, and I've never felt like I've missed out on anything.  My doctor went over the risk of uterine rupture with a VBAC, and while she stressed it was a low percentage, she also said it was a "real" percentage.  I just can't get that out of my mind.  I've also always been scared of birth...never been able to watch A Baby Story, etc... - I even was with a friend through her whole delivery thinking it would help.  I got through that just fine, but when I put myself in her place....it really freaks me out.

I guess I'm just wondering what led you to decide to attempt a VBAC?  What was important to you?

Here comes Baby #3! BabyFruit Ticker Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Re: What Made You Choose to Attempt A VBAC?? (Even if you were unsuccessful)

• Options
    I had planned a natural birth, but ended up being induced at 41w (no reason, other than my CNM being pushy), labor without pain meds 18hours, got an epi after 6 hours at 9cm, then an hour later was pressured into a c/s due to fetal distress--which was probably due to the epi/being in transition.  Anyway, I do kinda feel robbed of the natural birthing experience.  And although I had a text-book c/s and recovery, I still hated it.  I want to give the birth the way my body is made to, and recover naturally too and be able to take care of my 2 year old son.  I also want to avoid major surgery and it's risks.  I just had my appendix out at 32 weeks, and it was like one huge flash back to the c/s and really cemented my determination to have a VBAC (barring any emergencies).
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image image
  • Options

I chose a VBAC because there is also a real percentage of death from a c/s (due to it being major surgery).  Yes, the rupture option is also real but I felt that with the monitors and my midwife's assurance that they would be able to identify a rupture quickly and be able to get her out safely from there made me feel that a VBAC was statistically safer and more controlled than a c/s.  ACOG seems to agree with that as well.  There are many long term problems that come with c/s that I didn't want to deal with either.

And I definitely didn't want to be restricted with picking up and carrying my toddler afterward.  A new baby is a big enough change, I didn't want him to think I was abandoning him or something.

I was ready to go home and go about my life about an hour after she was born, so my recovery was also much faster (and I did have a small tear).

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers image image
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

#1 - Because CS is major surgery. My recovery wasn't awful, but it was definitely harder than my VBAC recovery.

#2 - Because DH and I don't know how many children we will have and I knew if I repeated CS the second time, I would probably have to have CS everytime, which would create limitations

#3 - I had to take a lot of pain meds to get through and ended up feeling like I had the flu after about a week. Little did I know, I was becoming dependent on the pain meds and had to go through the awful awful side effects of coming off of them. Also, I wasn't a fan of trying to nurse at this time... I'd much rather not have to be on so much medication. VBAC, I never took anything outside of the hospital stronger than Tylenol.

#4 -  I got to see my baby for a second and then was wisked away to the first recovery room where my BP had a hard time stabilizing... which took several hours. My hubby was also left to wonder/worry while I was gone.

#5 -  Probably a side note, but I haven't had to experience an epidural/spinal WITHOUT already being in pain and that scares the mess out of me.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I really wanted the experience of pushing out a baby. I felt like I was very passive in my c-section...like it was happening to someone else. I really wanted to VBAC. unfortunately, I pushed for over an hour with Caroline and ended up with another section due to her heartrate dropping. I'm sad I didn't go it, but I am glad I tried.
    "Hello, babies. Welcome to Earth. It's hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It's round and wet and crowded. At the outside, babies, you've got about a hundred years here. There's only one rule that I know of, babies. God damn it, you've got to be kind." - Kurt Vonnegut
  • Options

imageerbear:
    I really wanted the experience of pushing out a baby. I felt like I was very passive in my c-section...like it was happening to someone else. I really wanted to VBAC.

This.  I felt like I was not an active participant in my first child's birth.  I also wanted to avoid surgery because the thought of being cut open and having people dig around my insides grosses me out, not to mention that the more c/s you have, the more risks you have if you ever get pregnant again.  I also wanted to be able to hold my baby right away.

Big sister {September 2008} Sweet boy {April 2011} Fuzzy Bundle {ETA July 2014}

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Oh and I think you have to keep in mind that, yes the risk of uterine rupture is real, so are the risks of RCS, and they can be very serious as well.  Sometimes it seems like VBAC is presented as the risky option and RCS as the safe option, but that's not the case. Unfortunately there is no risk-free way to have a baby.  It's just a matter of deciding which risks you are more comfortable with.

Big sister {September 2008} Sweet boy {April 2011} Fuzzy Bundle {ETA July 2014}

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options

Faster recovery

Not having my baby taken away from me right after it is born.

Easier BFing and milk coming in earlier

Better for babies lungs

Less risk of something happening to me and leaving my kid(s) motherless

Not having my abdomen sliced open unneccessarily.

To avoid being strapped naked to a table in a room full of strangers. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

I found that I was more open to c/s than vbac because I had already been through it and knew what to expect. Vbac was unknown and I was afraid of tearing and all the other things associated with vag birth. 

I was 41 weeks and had to schedule a rcs but they were going to check to see if I was able to be induced when I was admitted. You have to be at least 2-3cm to be induced since they cant use cervadil. My Ob asked if I wanted to have more kids when the option of a rcs came up. I said I did and she warned that more than two c/s pretty much gaurentees a third and the risks are very high.

I had a wonderful short, induced, medicated labor and had a 20 minute pushing session with minor tearing. Recovery was a joke compared to my c/s recovery. 

PhotobucketBaby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    imageiris427:

imageerbear:
    I really wanted the experience of pushing out a baby. I felt like I was very passive in my c-section...like it was happening to someone else. I really wanted to VBAC.

This.  I felt like I was not an active participant in my first child's birth.  I also wanted to avoid surgery because the thought of being cut open and having people dig around my insides grosses me out, not to mention that the more c/s you have, the more risks you have if you ever get pregnant again.  I also wanted to be able to hold my baby right away.

Ditto this.  Mostly I just knew I didn't want major surgery again.  I've had two vbacs now and don't regret them. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker imageimage
  • Options

I replied to a similar post just lower on the board page along with a few others.  Here's the link to that thread:

https://community.thebump.com/cs/ks/forums/thread/62561438.aspx

HTH and GL! Smile 

~Sweet Girl *8/18/08* c-section ~ Sweet Boy *12/2/10* VBAC ~ Sweet Boy *8/14/12* VBAC~ 

VBAC Birth Story    2VBAC Birth Story  

• Options

Thanks ladies for all your responses.  Definitely gave me more to think about.

A few of you mentioned choosing a VBAC b/c you want more kids.  When I discussed this with my doctor she said that 4 was the most she recommends.  It seems like all of you were told lower numbers.....

Here comes Baby #3! BabyFruit Ticker Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options
    imageamanda31H:

Thanks ladies for all your responses.  Definitely gave me more to think about.

A few of you mentioned choosing a VBAC b/c you want more kids.  When I discussed this with my doctor she said that 4 was the most she recommends.  It seems like all of you were told lower numbers.....

I was told that 4 children by c/s was "allowed", but limiting to 3 was "recommended" due to the much higher increase for a variety of complications. 

~Sweet Girl *8/18/08* c-section ~ Sweet Boy *12/2/10* VBAC ~ Sweet Boy *8/14/12* VBAC~ 

VBAC Birth Story    2VBAC Birth Story  

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"