High-Risk Pregnancy
Options

GD and olive garden? what do I get?

what do you think I would be safe getting? My diet is very well controlled and I do fine with whole wheat bread and milk and can even go alittle over 50 carbs...however I did have one bad number with "fried items" any ideas as to what works for you ladies? I lovvvve the salad but it has 23 carbs!????!?!!?! and that would only be my app. not my meal:(

Re: GD and olive garden? what do I get?

• Options

I'm not sure if there is anything healthy on OG's menu! I would just be conscious of the portion size.

• Options
    I get you're well controlled with diet, but one time of eating what you want isn't going to kill you by any means! Eat what you want mama!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

The salad should be okay because it's mostly veggie carbs, not the starchy carbs you need to be counting. For an entree, choose something with a good amount of protein, limit how much of the noodles and sauce you eat, and get a side of steamed veggies. It's not an ideal place to eat when you have to watch carbs, but it's still do-able!

I went to Olive Garden while on the GD diet once, and actually had a lower than usual number! I found that I tended to be a little overly cautious with portion sizes when I was unsure of things. I think I ordered a grilled flatbread topped with chicken and veggies (from the app menu, maybe?) and just ate half of it, plus some salad and a few bites of breadstick (I was only allowed 30 carbs for lunch/dinner).

Mama to two sweet girls
    DD1 Feb 2010
    DD2 Sept 2011

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I've eaten there and been fine.  I had soup and salad once.  Another time I had salad and grilled chicken.  I skipped the bread and the pasta.
  • Options
    Classico Lasagna is always a good option.  The lunch portion has 35 carbs and the dinner has 39.  I ate there yesterday for lunch and had salad (23 carbs) and pasta fagioli soup (17 carbs).  You can pretty much eat anywhere you want, just ask for a nutrition menu so you can make an informed choice.  Sometimes the things you think will be fine are the worst things for you!  Other times you may be completely surprised!
  • Options
    Also, a lot of times the salads are higher because they take in to account the croutons.  If you limit the number of croutons you eat then you can reduce the number of carbs you consume.
  • Options

When I was pregnant, Olive Garden was one of the few restaurants I could eat at and have good blood sugar.

I would get the salad only and (seriously) eat about 3 bowls of it by myself. My blood sugar was always in the low 80's afterward. Eating there made me feel normal again. :)

I tried half a breadstick once and it went up into the 130's. Crazy.

But I agree with PP. One high number is not THAT bad every now and then. It's a pattern of consistently high numbers that are cause for worry.  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I didn't eat there with GD but if you go a bit over, just make sure you go for a good walk after.  It will definitely keep your numbers lower.
    mmc @ 14 weeks - November 2009. Missed every day. Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 15DPO:461 17DPO (47hrs later):1380
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"