Trouble TTC

Ladies That Do Acupuncture w/IVF

I just had my first appt last week and thought it was great.  He gave me a nutrition plan, suggested some books and made me feel incredibly relaxed.  At my appt he placed the needles in places that he said will focus on relieving stress.

Do you know if needle placement will change every week?  I will be doing IVF again in March and was wondering how you ladies felt about it during a cycle?  I would love to hear any positives or negatives you experienced as well. 

Mostly, I'm just excited to be trying something new that seems to be making a difference for me emotionally already. :)

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Ladies That Do Acupuncture w/IVF

• Needle placement does change depending on where you are in your cycle -- also based on what your "diagnosis" (TCM -- tongue and pulse) is for the day. At certain points of the cycle, they are trying to increase circulation to your uterus; other times, they're flushing the old blood out or just trying to calm and relax you and your uterus (to prevent cramping). 

I'll definitely be doing it during my cycle, which is also in March!  I was going to acupuncture regularly since May, but only went once during the actual IVF cycle.  (Although I also did the pre-and-post ET acupuncture too.)  This time I'm going to try and go weekly.

Severe MFI. Me: supposedly all clear but eggs showed vacuoles.

IVF #1 January 2012, ER Jan 14th: 34R, 27M, 23F. Day 3: 18 embies still strong. Day 5: zero "good," one "fair," the rest "poor." Transferred 3. None made it to blast or to freeze. Jan 28: BFN.

Lucky IVF #2: Transferred two beautiful day three embies on St. Patrick's Day. BFP on HPT 7dp3dt. Beta 1 (14dpER)=106; Beta 2 (16dpER)=140; Beta 3 (19dpER)=264! First u/s 4.17.

imageimageimageBabyFruit Ticker

Hope is the thing with feathers - that perches in the soul - and sings the tune without the words - and never stops - at all - (Emily Dickinson)

• I went about twice a week before ER (for about 3 weeks) and the points bascially remained the same.  Since I started during the same cycle that I did IVF she was trying to get blood to flow to my ovaries and uterus the whole time, and also calm and relax me.

TTC since 5/2010
    DX with Diminished Ovarian Reserve - AMH of 1.1 - 7/2011; AMH of .42 8/2012
    BFP 9/1/10-M/C confirmed 9/8/10-Methotrexate 10/6/10
    IUI #1 (w/clomid)-9/5/11-BFN ; IUI #2 (w/clomid)-10/5/11 - BFP - 11/1/12-No sac seen; 11/2/11 and 11/9/11-Methotrexate 
    IVF #1- ER 2/2; ET 2/5;-Two 8 cell embryos transfered = BFFN
    Surprise BFP - 5/7/12
    U/S on 6/8/12 - H/B at 128 BPM; U/S on 6/14/12 @ 9wks-No H/B-D&C on 6/17/12
    IVF 2.0- ER 10/17; ET 10/20-One 12 cell, one 10 cell and one 8 cell embryo transfered
    BFP!   11/16/12 U/S- Two nuggets with perfect heartbeats! EDD 7/10/13

5/31/2013- My miracles arrived at 34w2d!  Welcome to the world Harper and Nolan!Lilypie First Birthday tickers

My Blog- http://waitingonaangel.wordpress.com/

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• Loading the player...
  • Feeling like you're making a positive change is awesome, isn't it? Smile

I've never done acupuncture before, but I'm planning to use laser acupuncture as part of my embryo transfer.  If I could find a good acupuncturist who specializes in fertility in my area, I would have been in favor of using acupuncture during stims, too.  I've read a lot of things that suggest it does help -- which is why I'm doing the laser acupuncture for sure! 

The Table Has Shoes (and Other Ambiguities)
    Follow Me on Pinterest
    Me = lean PCOS;DH = poor morphology (3%)
    3 IUI/TI cycles = BFN
    IVF #1 with ICSI: antagonist protocol = BFFN
    IVF #2 with ICSI : Lupron downregulation = BFFN...FML
    IVF #3 with ICSI and AH (Antagonist) = IT'S A BOY!!!!

dumbledore

BabyFruit Ticker
  • I had my first session in November (just to try it and see if I liked it).

I just went back yesterday since my IVF is underway and the needle placement was completely different this time. In fact, this time I laid on my stomach whereas before I was on my back. She also used some electrodes around the needles on 4 areas around my low back to help increase the blood flow to my ovaries and uterus. I was a little freaked at first but it was nothing...just felt like someone tapping on your back.

I'll be going back on Thursday and then again 24 hours before my ET (whenever that is).

I can't say I feel as relaxed as I do when I get a massage, but I do feel more relaxed afterwards and it's also helping keep my morale up (if that makes sense).  

TTC 12/2009
    Me: 32 - Stage II Endo / DH: 36 - Low count and morphology (1%)
    IUIs 1-3 BFN, lap Dec. 2010, IUIs 4-6 BFN
    IVF w/ICSI #1 - ER 2/8: 24R 19M 9F ET 2/13 2-5 day blasts (no frosties) = BFP - b/g twins!
    E & C Born 10/19/2012
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I think I am one of the few that did herbs and acu with the IVF meds simultaneously. 

Getting acu has been wonderful for me. There are slight changes in my pressure points, but many of them are consistent and I usually just wear looser clothes that she can manipulate. She tends to focus on my arms / hand, feet, lower legs, back, and lower stomach. Occasionally I get one in the top of my head. She's also lit them on fire before.

I've noticed how it's regulated my cycle and overall helps me relax and get a good night's sleep. I hope you enjoy it, too! 

(Live in Europe) TTC since 1/2010
  • Well after one unsuccessful IVF and one cancelled cycle, we tried accupuncture for this cycle and we finally got a BFP!!!! 
  • I would suggest starting prior to your IVF cycle. Farmer Lynda explained it well. I started prior to this cycle and once I started stims, I went 4 times while stimming (stimmed 11 days), I went yesterday (trigger day), and I am going Sat day of ET. I have 3 appts booked during the dreaded 2 WW. It makes you feel like you are melting and helps you tolerate the stress a lot better.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • My acupuncturist started with a "general detox" in the first two sessions- one detox on the front of the body, and the second on the back. She doesn't want to see me during the first 2 weeks of my cycle, rather she wants to see me several days post IUI (when we get to that) and then throughout the 1st trimester. She was very clear that she wouldn't try to intervene if it looked like my body was miscarrying the baby, since she believes the body does that for a reason. I was thinking "let's just get to the BFP, then we will worry about that!"

Equally helpful is her dietary recommendations. She got super specific and though it's been hard to take all of her recommendations all of the time, I really feel like I got a 2-for-1 deal (accu and nutritionist) with her. Many acupuncturists will give nutritional guidance, so ask for it.

DH and I are Americans living an adventure in Kenya since 2011
    DX: PCOS (annovulatory)
    Feb 2012: IUI #1 w/ only 1M sperm and a single follie = BFP! 
    Nov 2012: Little buddy born in Kenya
    Nov 2013: Trying for a second, still w PCOS
    Dec 2013: IUI cycle canceled for non-response
    Jan 2014: Break cycle BFP!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"