Natural Birth
Options

FTM with Natual Birth Questions

I'm a FTM and am due at the end of May. I am looking for some more information on natural birthing. I don't enjoy taking any medication, and intend on going a more natural route.

I have talked to my OB at my first appointment that I didn't want a c-section or an epidural. They told me that they try very hard not to do any c-sections and only preform them if there is a medical need and that we could talk meds after I got farther along. I was happy to hear that. It's a big hospital and I know that the do a lot of life saving work.

I have been seeing midwives my last few appointments, but would like to get my thoughts together before I head into my next appointment so that I can tell them what I want.

Being that this is my first baby, I have a very limited idea of what I'm going to go through. My husband and my mom are both supportive of my natural plan and it was almost assumed that this is the way I wanted it to begin with.

Does anyone have any sites, books or personal info that could help me get more info on Natural Birth, pain management, and what to expect?

Thanks!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: FTM with Natual Birth Questions

• Options

welcome!

there is an FAQ link in my siggie. check it out. there is a post re: books, ?s to ask your care provider, to doula or not to doula, etc.  

• Options

FTM here too. I read Natural childbirth the bradley way. Didn't get that much from it. So, I ordered hypnobabies (highly rec. from my MW). I really like it so far and I believe it will work for me. I read Ina May's guide to Childbirth and absolutly loved it. I want my mom to read it since she will be there with me. I would have Dh read it if he would ever read anything. My fav thing to do when I started considering NB was watching NB videos on youtube. I still do. I just watch and cry. But it makes me feel good and more confident.

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I learned a lot just reading all the natural mom birth stories. Learn as much as you can to feel confident, comfortable and relaxed as you go into your own labor...so much of it is getting into a good mental state. :)
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

All OBs will tell you that they only do c/s and episotomy when it is "necessary".  But their definition of necessary may not be the same as yours.  I recommend laboring at home as long as possible to reduce the likelihood of unwanted interventions.  You might be interested in watching the documentary The Business of Being Born -- although it's definitely slanted anti-hospital anti-doctor, so you have to take it with a grain of salt, there was definitely some interesting information (like the fact that c-section rates spike at 4 pm and 10 pm, exactly the times of day when OBs are worried about whether they will make it home in time for dinner, or if they'll be stuck at the hospital all night). 

I have the book Natural Hospital Birth and am finding it helpful.  I also interviewed several doulas and we found one that we both felt really comfortable with.  She will come to our house to help me through early labor, and help me figure out when is the right time to go to the hospital, where she'll also be there for support.  Check out the DONA website if you're interested in learning more about doulas and how they can help you. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    imageELF4321:

All OBs will tell you that they only do c/s and episotomy when it is "necessary".  But their definition of necessary may not be the same as yours.  I recommend laboring at home as long as possible to reduce the likelihood of unwanted interventions.  You might be interested in watching the documentary The Business of Being Born -- although it's definitely slanted anti-hospital anti-doctor, so you have to take it with a grain of salt, there was definitely some interesting information (like the fact that c-section rates spike at 4 pm and 10 pm, exactly the times of day when OBs are worried about whether they will make it home in time for dinner, or if they'll be stuck at the hospital all night). 

I have the book Natural Hospital Birth and am finding it helpful.  I also interviewed several doulas and we found one that we both felt really comfortable with.  She will come to our house to help me through early labor, and help me figure out when is the right time to go to the hospital, where she'll also be there for support.  Check out the DONA website if you're interested in learning more about doulas and how they can help you. 

Some good news, the hospital said they do not do an episotomy. They said they do more harm than good. I saw the business of being born with my husband. We both loved the natural aspect of it, but we don't want a home birth. 

Thanks so much to everyone for the resources.

• Options
    I've heard Ina May's name many a times in natural birth discussions.  I've never read any of her work, but I've been wanting to, and everyone I've met interested in natural childbirth who's read her work has loved it.
  • Options

I would def read the Natural Hospital Birth. I've read Ina May's books as well, but NHB is my favorite. I agree wtih PP about laboring at home as long as possible and I would also hire a doula. Good luck to you! Lurk around here and you'll get lots of great advice/information.

https://www.amazon.com/Natural-Hospital-Birth-Best-Worlds/dp/1558327185/ref=sr_1_sc_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1328099882&sr=8-1-spell

4.24.12                                                                            5.7.14
                  imageImage and video hosting by TinyPic

Baby #2 Chart

BabyFetus Ticker

imageimageimageimage

• Options

I agree w/others to stay at home as LONG as possible to avoid interventions.  Also I cannot stress this enough, it will be hard to have a natural birth in a hospital where you may be offered pain meds and an epidural numerous times.  Be sure that your OB will NOT offer you an epi when you are in transition because it will be very very hard to refuse an epi at that point unless you are really really strong and motivated to have a natural birth.  The nurses may also offer and the other staff you see.  They usually (and this may not be the case in your hospital but it probably is) do NOT see women attempting a natural birth w/an OB in a hospital setting. 

You mentioned you had been seeing midwives and this is probably a way better route if you want to go all natural.  If you can avoid seeing an OB during labor and delivery and stick to the midwives this will probably work best w/a natural birth plan unless your OB specifically likes doing natural births.

Ask your OB flat out: how many babies did you deliver last month or last year where women did NOT opt for an epi?

Ask your OB if you have to do constant heart and contraction monitoring? I know for me it was extremely difficult if not impossible to labor and walk around attempting a natural birth with heart monitors strapped on your belly.  I kept ripping them off my belly with my 1st and the nursing staff was getting very angry at me.  Not to mention if they require constant monitoring you will not be able to move around as much or go into a shower or a tub.  For me, while laboring naturally the shower was AMAZING and if you have an IV or monitors strapped on your belly you won't be able to get in the shower.

So ask all those questions! Will I have to have an IV? can I eat/drink whatever I want during labor? Can I move around? what accessories do they have in the room to facilitate a natural birth? ie birthing stool, birthing tub, birthing bar? etc?

Ask lots of questions and try to stick to the midwives.  I only speak from my experience but I naively thought I could just do a natural birth at a normal hospital with a normal OB but was VERY wrong.  They did NOT want to see me walking around and screaming and moaning and yelling.  They also offered me an epi a million times and were not conducive to a natural birth (despite having told me yeah no problem).  And the fact that your OB is even telling you that you guys can "discuss pain meds later" tells me that she may not be as supportive of a natural birth as you may think.  When I discussed pain meds with the midwives they just said you won't need it, we don't offer it, that's it! 

Good luck!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"