Pregnant after 35
Options

BC options

I was talking w/my OB today & he said despite my age (40), I still have about an 80% chance of getting PG again.  (Take that Dr. OZ!)

I think we're probably done after this, but after all the years we spent TTC, it just doesn't feel right to go with a permanent means of BC (tubal or vasectomy).   IUDs are a little scary, as are hormones, because of the increased risk of blood clots when you're over 35.  We're considering Natural Family Planning & maybe a barrier device like condoms or a diaphram (if I can figure out how to use it) for extra protection.

What do you plan on using after baby?

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: BC options

• Options
    DH is planning on a vasectomy because we know we're done, but if he weren't, I'd just go back on the pill.  That was my original plan until he brought up the vasectomy.  I've never had a problem with it and was on it for many years.   I'm actually still considering going back on it even with DH getting the vasectomy.  Just for extra protection.
  • Options
    We're not planning on having any more so we're planning either a tubal ligation for me, if I end up with a c/s.  If not, DH will be getting snipped, since it's an easier procedure. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Im 40 and this is our 1st, we are planning to have more, god willing we will be blessed again but hopefuly if/when we do have more, maybe 1-2 more, i will def be getting a tubal, i just couldnt be dealing with pills, IUDs etc, when we are done we are done!!!!
  • Options
    DH is getting snipped. We are 100% certain that we are done and I've gotten pregnant relatively easily so we don't want to take any chances.
  • Options
    no plan yet.  I have never liked birth control, I am against messing with my body as much as possible.  I was on the patch for a short while and it worked well for me, but all the doctors around here stopped prescribing it as it had a high incident of law suits from side effects.  DH wants to just get the big V but I keep telling him that he should wait and make for sure for sure he won't want another baby after he has this one (its his first) It may be TMI, but we used withdrawl methods for the first 4 years we were together and it was effective until August (oops) so now its just a big mess that I don't really want to think about. yikes. I probably will opt for barrier methods for the next year or so and then make a final decision.
    Aug 15 April Siggy challenge: Baby Shower fails:

BabyFetus Ticker

• Options
    imageStacieP76:

I had the copper IUD for 10 years before TTC. I had great luck and loved it because it was non-hormonal. 3 months after removal I had a BFP!

I will probably get another IUD after this baby.

good to know, No complications?

Aug 15 April Siggy challenge: Baby Shower fails:

BabyFetus Ticker

• Options
    There is a non hormonal iud (paragard). I had one for a few years prior to ttc #1. It turned out that I probably did not need it all those years, though it had nothing to do with my difficulties ttc. I don't think the paragard has many risks aside from the chances of having heavier periods and more cramps. I did not really have any of that, but everyone is different, so there are no guarantees. I would recommend looking into the paragard.

IVF #1 ET 1 d3 embryo 10/30/11 BFP
    3 Embryos frozen (1 d5, 2 d6)

DS born 07/29/12

FET #1 ET 1 d5 embryo 02/10/15 BFN

FET #2 1 d6 embryo didn't survive thaw, transferred last d6. CP :(

• Options

my hubby is getting snipped on Friday!!!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I would love to get my tubes tied. I need to look into some options. I will NEVER be pg again!
  • Options
    NFP. We don't do it like bunnies anymore anyway, so abstaining for a week or so every month is no big deal.
  • Options
    If everything with this bean follows through to term... either DH is getting a V or I'm getting tubal. We still have to discuss which, I volunteered  to get snipped because I'll probably get another Csect, so it would be easy, and wouldn't add any extra recovery time... DH thinks that's too permanent though.. so I guess he's not absolutely sure we're done yet.
  • Options

After my second I didn't want to do anything permenant, even though we knew 100% we were done, I was 32 and DH was only 29.  We both thought we were too young for a permenant fix. 

We decided I would get the Mirena IUD....BAD CHOICE....it failed and I am now pregnant with a shocking surprise 3rd baby.  We have adjusted, but I am getting a tubal during my c-section. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    imagejazzcrawford:

What a perfect weekend for his recovery!  He can "ice down" while watching the Superbowl.

• Options
    I probably will go back to using condoms while BFing, because NFP doesn't work too well then.  Might do NFP after weaning.  Definitely not interested in anything permanent.
    DS born 8/8/09 and DD born 6/12/12.
  • Options
    Nothin, I have a blocked tube so I doubt anything will work as it didn't for a year! Although I heard once you give birth it loosens you up... Not concerned I guess!
  • Options
    I was going to get my tubes tied, but I have really painful periods. Bad ovulation pain, labor like cramps. One of the side effect is more painful periods. So, my OB told me that probably wasnt the best solution in my situation.  Condoms worked just fine for 16 years. Unless, I can talk them into removing my uterus! That would be the ideal solution! 
  • Options
    imageBrosis:
    imagejazzcrawford:

What a perfect weekend for his recovery!  He can "ice down" while watching the Superbowl.

My DH is all excited about getting a March Madness vasectomy so he can sit on the couch with a beer on his crotch watching basketball to recover. 

• Options

I used Implanon for years (before my first baby) and it was great. It's an implant the size of a toothpick that goes in your arm and lasts up to three years. It reduces the frequency/heaviness of periods, which I thought was great.

If you're still considering another baby, you can take it out any time. I got pregnant immediately after taking it out (when I was 34). 

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"